We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

The Test Drive Series

GameConsolesMad

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I remember playing the original Test Drive on the Commodore 64. It was so great at the time and was what pushed driving games forward. The only problem was getting the game to work, any of you that had a Commodore 64 know what I mean. It took years to load just to select the car. Then a decade to load the mountain road only to find the taped stopped running before it loaded so you had to start again. The fun times of 80's gaming. :headbang:

But when it worked which was like a 1 in 10 chance it was like heaven. I remember waking up early Saturday morning and the challenge was to get the game working before the good cartoons started on the TV. The best bit was the full H pattern gears. You only had a one button joystick with 8 way direction so if you selected manual gears you had to hold the button down and then manually move the stick into the gear it was so cool at the time :).

You had to learn to do it quickly because you could not steer at the same time, so you could only change gear on the straights. Then add twisty mountain roads slow lorries and the cops on your tail it was more than any challenge you get in games today.

I think I only managed to get to the top once or twice and your reward was you could keep the car and that was it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...