We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

TDU1 failing to launch.

joe_alker

Ok... So I have been playing TDU1 for a while on Win 8.1, no problems whatsoever.

However, and this has happened only once before, and was solved by turning the computer on/off again.

I get this stupid error:

5R1jhiS.png

Now, I don't know about you, but I'm pretty certain 8.1 counts as Win98SE or better.

I have restarted my computer 3 times, no luck, ejected and replaced the disk, no luck....

:(

Depending on the programming logic employed, Windows 95 and 98 are Win 9x, or in checking code, simply '9'. And 9 > 8.1.

This is why MS is skipping a new Windows 9 and jumping straight to 10. Not suggesting that this is what's happening in the case of TDU1, as you'd then expect to see the same issues with all the Win7 players.

Older badly-made programs are the ones susceptible to this. There are better ways to check OS version these days, and more developers know not to take shortcuts.

Ok... So I have been playing TDU1 for a while on Win 8.1, no problems whatsoever.

However, and this has happened only once before, and was solved by turning the computer on/off again.

I get this stupid error:

"This application is not compatible with the installed operating system. Please upgrade to Windows 98SE,Windows 2000 or better."

Now, I don't know about you, but I'm pretty certain 8.1 counts as Win98SE or better.

I have restarted my computer 3 times, no luck, ejected and replaced the disk, no luck....

:(

I got the same error message today the first time and I don't know why. I use Windows 8.1 64-bit. TDU worked alright for a couple of weeks with Windows 8.1.

I tried searching the internet for a solution, and I found the page "How do I get Medieval 2: Total War to play on Windows 8?"

on answers microsoft com. (Sorry I can't post links yet.)

The page is not about TDU, but the error message is the same, so I tried to follow its advice, and performed a clean boot of Windows.

After performing the clean boot, TDU started normally without the error message.

• 3 months later...
I got the same error message today the first time and I don't know why. I use Windows 8.1 64-bit. TDU worked alright for a couple of weeks with Windows 8.1.

I tried searching the internet for a solution, and I found the page "How do I get Medieval 2: Total War to play on Windows 8?"

on answers microsoft com. (Sorry I can't post links yet.)

The page is not about TDU, but the error message is the same, so I tried to follow its advice, and performed a clean boot of Windows.

After performing the clean boot, TDU started normally without the error message.

This does not work for me (I assume you mean Safe Mode as a clean boot?).

Is there a patch for Windows 8.1 support?

Note: I can play the game fine on Windows 8 using a NoCD patch but I want the soundtrack so how can I somehow rip the soundtrack from the CD to play in the game?

Thanks - Ian

• 2 months later...