We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

London PS3 buyers got FREE HDTV & Taxi home !!

Eudemon

Source: http://www.playstatic.com/news/376

After waiting over a day and a half in line outside Virgin Megastores on Oxford Street, London, the moment that PS3 buyers had been waiting for came. At midnight on Thursday, Virgin opened it’s doors to over 100 people wanting to buy a PS3. What they didn’t know was that they would be going home in a paid for taxi and would be playing their new console on a free 46″ HDTV as a way of thanks from Sony.

ps3-clear-black-front.jpg

After waiting over 36 hours, the queue of over 100 people were slowly let in to discover that they would be receiving an extremely nice gift from Sony. A 46″ HDTV to play their new next generation console on and a free taxi home to ensure that they got home safely. The first customer in line, Ritatsu Thomas, told BBC News that it had been worth the wait and that I feel fantastic. I’m delighted that everyone here also gets a television.

I think that this was an extremely nice gesture on the part of Sony, and that those people who purchased their PS3 there are extremely lucky to have received such a wonderful free gift. As well as the TV, the free taxi was also a nice gift considering those 100 people had stood in line for over a day and a half and that it would have been the early hours of the morning before the last person got their PS3.

Source: http://www.playstatic.com/news/376

It was actually a surprise to the many who turned up, a free Sony 46" HDTV and Taxi home, it supposedly cost them over £250,000. Why this stuff always happens down in London though kind of sucks, I mean think about it most people in London have good money anyway. :(

I'm just jealous !

While a very nice gesture I don't expect MS to take note. They have provided a very good consloe (beatween the blowing up) and the live and everything else. Sony have only done this a publisicity stunt and therefor to get more moeny, though I bet the 100 people are happy.

Yeah yeah, what a nice gesture of Sony, but as Nipper said, it's the only way they can shift them.. I was one of the ignorant little Danes, who though we would be getting the PS3 in 2006 (I don't remember the month.) for a small amount of money. Around 3-4000 Danish Kroner, where a pound is around 11 Kroner. Then I found out it was 5500 Kroner, and I just thought that Sony could walk home with their big price tags, pathetic machines, etc.

Has anyone on this board tried the PS3? The joypad is almost a replica of the 360's. The same middle button with the PS/360 logo, that does exactly the same. And the same L-R Buttons at the back, with springs in them, so you in driving games, can accelerate without having to floor it.

Oh well, now you got half of my life story. But the bottom line is, that it's just a publicity stunt from Sony. (Big surprise, well said Eagle)

But I don't think that the PS3 runs very decent without a HDTV.

So that's probably the reason.

They can't shift them due to supply, Xbox 360 shipped 80,000 to the UK, PS3 has sold close to double (150,000) that on the launch day. Don't let the fanboys sway you with narrow mindedness, the PS3 had a good launch day, nothing compared to Wii of course and is continuing to sell but due to the amount they shipped it looks like none have sold. It will need to come down in price though in order to even think of shifting a good amount. I know 4 people who have bought it as a Blu-ray player solely PLUS they want GT:HD. lol