We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Forza 2 demo Available on Marketplace NOW !!!!!!

Eudemon

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FM2 is as far away from TDU as i am from getting married

two completely different worlds only tied by one thing, the love for cars...

TDU has a great atmosphere about it, go where you like when you like, drive as fast or slow as you please

FM2 will be racing pure and simple, no frills, just thrills and spills (if your not so good :p), harder than hardcore physics makes it as close as you will ever get to driving an Enzo around the Nurburgring

only thing that beats them is LFS with a 900 degree wheel :p (as real as it gets i spose, but with made up cars and locations :p)

i can drift just fine with the MS wheel in FM2 ;)

errr, u missed the point :p

900 degree wheel is for lfs :p, not tdu or fm2, cos frankly they would be terrible with that kinda wheel (all console games do, GT4 for example, sucked with the 900 degree wheel)

PC is the way to go for ultimate realism (if you dont mind the made up cars and tracks that is(ironic i know))

Sandbox racing games, such as TDU are quite innovative and as such TDU is setting a precedent, that will hopefully be followed up by other later producers.

Gran Turismo set the bar when it comes to car customization and realism in car handling and adjustments when they hit the Playstation and in turn has done Sony a world of good, because racing games is a force of the gaming consoles. As Nipper said; This is the closest most people will ever come to driving the car of the their dreams on a series of real world environments.

Next step would be the combination of sandbox racing environments with real life simulation physics and true-to-life developed car-traits.

Imagine the modelled Island of Oahu with gateways to several raceways where the sandbox part maintains the realism of the racing part with the added possibility of tuning, styling and maintaining your car?

Add to this the ability which in time will be possible, to burst the limitations of 8 people per session?

Just wait.

These are the next steps.

things TDU NEEDS to even compete in teh physyics side of things is proper tire models, proper Physics update speeds and a G-Meter that works properly :p

Dan, it is true i criticise those who use aids, havent really got a comeback for that lol

Doesn't much matter who critizes who for what. I play racing games to race, and I play TDU to do whatever I please. I'm no drifter, and I absolutely hate the smell of burnt rubber from people who thinks making donuts is the dogs bollox.

Obviously the idea of a sandbox game is to enable people to play whichever way they please. And more and more this becomes the norm. Linearity will yield for creativity and the game-developers will be forced to keep a broad spectrum on how to make a game.

TDU is a great game. The people at Eden have done a terrific job at this game, and while Atari are inept the extent of monkeys throwing feces, the game has survived because it is something else. I know Diablo agrees with me on this, as we have talked about it; No matter what Forza 2 brings to the table TDU will still attract people for the freedom of what it has to offer.

TDU is more importantly than anything else an arcade racing/sandbox car game. This makes is widely appealing to everyone. Those of us who are car nuts in extremis will settle for it since it is 'just' an arcade game and those who are car nuts in regularis will enjoy racing in a Lamborghini Murcielago which they, as previously stated, wont ever get at chance to do in the real world.

So would TDU have the same success, had it been a true to form simulation game? If Hardcore mode was the easy setting? I don't think so. Something struck me the other day. I was visiting a friend who has a PS2 with GT4 and nostalgia took over. We booted up the game and in the initial menu, I noticed that there is an Arcade part of GT, which I probably knew, but never really cared about. We had a few laughs racing through the old courses like Deep Forest and Grand Valley Speedway, and it was like driving in TDU. Physics were more forgiving, speed was halted, brakes more responsive than in the real world. And it struck me, that all the people I know who play games, but doesn't care for racing games, would probably enjoy this part of the game more than the part that I go for. The simulation.

Nipper. You and me and the rest of the petrol-mongrels on these boards forgave Eden for making the game a little too easy and too arcady for our tastes. The people who don't know the difference between front and rear-wheel drivetrains and the way the torque manifests itself in the responsetime of the car would never forgive Eden if they made a car simulator.

Niche gaming is not smart business.

And TDU needs lots more than that to be even remotely true to the real worlds physics. GT4 did as well.