We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Oh noes! More friggin' crashes!

Well, I bought the game earlier today, I was really looking forward to playing it. I waited patiently while it took its sweet time to install, gazing hungrily at the uber-sexy art/screenshots displayed.

"OH MY GOD!", I exclaimed, "It's finished!!!" :excited::bananajump:

*quick reboot just in case*

As the sound of the windows startup sound filled my ears once more, I waited a bit for my processes/apps to fully load up before I launched the game. My hands trembled as I double-clicked the icon.

"Yes! Only a few more minutes untill I get to pl...":wtf:

It crashed.

Not to worry, I'll just launch it again!

Long story short: It launches, displays a window, maximizes it, then crashes to my desktop without a single explanation. No error messages, sounds, or anything. It's a real tease because the screen stays black just long enough so that I think it's about to launch (it gets me EVERY time lol), and then crashes. Payed 45$ CAD for this... from what I've read, it looks as if Atari just sorta popped the Xbox 360 version's cd into a computer, saw that it ran, and stuck a PC-DVD label on it. It's alright, though; Beta testing is for queers anyway.

Is there a work-around for the crashing, or will I have to wait the undisclosed amount of time for the patch?

Specs:

AMD Athlon XP3200

512 MB ram

ATI Radeon 9250 Pro - 256mb

Integrated Nvidia sound card

And btw: Hi, how's it going. I'll be around a lot from now on... that is, if I can get TDU to work...

I'm new here too, so I'm not sure if I've earned the right to welcome people yet... But hi! Cool to meet you. :D

It sounds like one of many reported GFX card problems.

The trouble is that your system seems to unintentionally have the componants from all the brands that the game hates. :(

That said, it sounds like you'll probably have to wait for the patch. Here's hoping you manage to sort it out! Good luck!

Lovely. But still, in the TDU Readme it clearly states that your card is NOT supported.

Lovely indeed. I got 3-6 fps at all times. Beat the game that way :P

Most games that didn't support my graphics card ran, though. Maybe crashed and f'ed up, but at least launched. TDU is having issues with ATI cards as it is, so I'm hoping that it has something to do with the ATI part and not the "9250 Pro" part of my card.

And yeah, hopefully after the next patch it'll start working. If not, then it's probably my gfx card. I just spent like 300$ on new innards (cause my previous motherboard randomly fried), so I won't bother buying a new card just for the game. I hope they'll let me return it.

Lovely indeed. I got 3-6 fps at all times. Beat the game that way :P

You CANNOT be serious :excited:

I don't think it's just the gfx card, I had an internal thingy ATI Xpress 1150. It started and ran TDU, just not very nicely. Similar to the way you described your Vice City adventure :p

What an utterly ridiculous thread. How anyone can realistically think they can run a modern 360 port on technology on par with the PS2 is beyond me. The upcoming patch's features have been announced already. I'd take advantage of whatever return policy is available ASAP.

What an utterly ridiculous thread. How anyone can realistically think they can run a modern 360 port on technology on par with the PS2 is beyond me. The upcoming patch's features have been announced already. I'd take advantage of whatever return policy is available ASAP.

How is a 3.2GHz computer on par with a ps2? And if it were a compatibility issue with my GFX card, wouldn't I have at least gotten an error message or a blue screen?

And yeah, I was absolutely serious. I beat Vice City at 6 fps. It was actually an advantage because it slowed the game down enough so that I had more reaction time when something happened. It's actually kind of funny because I used to own at driving on my computer, then I played it at my friend's house, and it took me a few crashes to get used to the speed. :P

Try pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE and going on processes, stop all the ones under your user name, NOT THE SYSTEM and dont get rid of EXPLORET.EXE or you internet, it will losen up ur comp a bit! See if it helps...

Bloody hell.

You ask for why your game crashes? We tell you

and you completely disregard it, seeking another solution.

Guess what. You aint gonna find it.

Also: AMD Athlon XP3200 is NOT 3.2GHz. It actually runs at 2.2GHz

Also: Your CPU won't be the limiting factor here. It IS your graphics card. You're running the lowest of the low of a 3 or 4 year old technology.

You wouldn't notice the truth unless it hit you in the face like a freight train.

Bloody hell.

You ask for why your game crashes? We tell you

and you completely disregard it, seeking another solution.

Guess what. You aint gonna find it.

Also: AMD Athlon XP3200 is NOT 3.2GHz. It actually runs at 2.2GHz

Also: Your CPU won't be the limiting factor here. It IS your graphics card. You're running the lowest of the low of a 3 or 4 year old technology.

You wouldn't notice the truth unless it hit you in the face like a freight train.

I wasn't completely disragarding it, I was seeing if there were any other explanations because I obviously don't want to rush out to either return TDU it or spend 200$ for a state-of-the-art graphics card. I know my specs are the most likely cause for the crashing, but I need to be absolutely sure that there are no other factors that played a role. Calm down.

(and the xp3200 does run at about 2.2 ghz, but it has the equlvalent performance of a faster Pentium, or at least that's the rumor)

Realistically dude, just get a graphics card with at least pixel shader 2. They are insanely cheap now- think $AU50. 512MB RAM will run the game, I've seen it myself.

x2. I spent $150 US in updates and have a decent setup now for a three year old computer.