We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Automatic or manual gearbox?

MrColonist

Automatic or manual gearbox?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Automatic or manual gearbox?

• Automatic
    • Manual

I've always been a manual kinda gal when it comes to racing games, but the 360 controller just doesn't offer me much to work with comfortably. That, and there's so much going on at 220MPH that I just can't be buggered to fumble for a shift button.

So yeah. I'd drive manual if the controller weren't so... inconvenient for it. (personal opinion!)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, after about a day of practice with Y as up and B as down, I've gotten it down pretty well on a bike. I'm still working on it for cars, though. My Caterham shifts really quick, so I'm having a spot of trouble with that. I'll get it, though. I wish I could map my own buttons, though, like I could in GT4. =/

So yeah. So far, I ride bikes in manual, and drive cars in auto. For now, anyway.

Manual all the way, just so much more satisfying to get a good few shifts in right on the limiter than letting an automatic take all the credit (and usually shift early)! :D

And yer, manual is nice for cruising... slip it into a high gear, keep the revs low, and thats a slow comfortable cruise right there.

Manual because, you can control it how YOU want it. And it's also good for dragging and drifting, With manual and drifting you can control the speed of the corners you go around with a auto you have to keep 'tapping' the accelaration.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
manual for me - isnt automatic slower?

i'm sure it's always been the done thing with games to make automatic slower.

going all the way back to super monaco gp for that though so maybe things have changed... ?

Sometimes manual does have faster gear changes, but the main reason it's faster is because human has faster reflexes and usually faster gear changes

I know I responded to this ages ago but oh well. This game is quite clearly an arcade game and becouse of this I don't see the point in the pressure to use manual some people try and give. With a sim you can speed up lap time and all that but with this its about the cruiseing, thats what auto was designed for in my opionion.

In real life i'll learn in and drive a manul no question about it but TDU, naaa.

• 2 months later...
Guest RB26DETT

you can drift in anything, shadow. :p

i used to drive using auto when i played with my old gamepad. it didn't have triggers so it was like a ps2 controller. then not so long ago, i bought a saitek cyborg rumble pad and it is exactly the same a xbox 360 pad except it's black so now i'm using the triggers so i can drive in manual transmission.