We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Why is forza 2 so popular?

ShadowGT

I don't own a xbox so don't flame me but isn't it just a attempt at taking on the(far superior :D) Gran turismo franchise? I tried it out in a shop the other day & didn't see what was so special about it?

Just look a the features list, the car list, the track list and you'll see. Its basicly Gran turismo but nothing like it but so much better, it really is. Oh and Forza is out and the new Gran Turismo, well isn't and probably won't be for a very very long time.

well, the forza handling is superior, the sounds are superior, the customisation is superior. there is damage aswell.

although GT does have a bigger carlist, its really great that the 2cv has its honourable place in a racing game... (sarcasm)

Being a convert from the PS2 to 360 (because my PS2 died, well I had it since launch day, and it took too long for the PS3 to come out and I couldn't be bothered to wait after the delays) I can comment on a level playing field as I used to love playing the GT series on the PS2 (I bought the 360 for TDU by the way)

Forza1/2 fundamentally is the xbox/360 version of the GT series as it has a load of production and race cars to tear around various circuits.

However it differs by the fact that it then also uses the "Need For Speed" bodykit aspect and also the car colour and vinyl additions

In terms of physics ... Well I always liked the old physics engine of GT4 on the PS2, and the one for Forza 2 is pretty good (not too sure what the GTHD engine is like so can't compare). In terms of sounds ... they are great in FULL Dolby Digital surround ... you can actually tell just by the sound what car is on your tail without having to look behind you as most of the sounds for the cars appear to be correct (however it's a shame the F40 doesn't pop!) ... one thing Forza2 does missing out on is the active parts of cars which I know GT used to do ... as in the Airbrake on the rear of the SLR(although I've only driven the one in the demo and not the full game so I need to check on that) and a few others I could name but I won't go into it here ....

What else ... well the Auction House is a good idea, a lot better than TDU ... but could be more ebay like as you have to keep bidding manually which is a real pain when auctions extend themselves automatically if there is frantic bidding in the last 2 mins ... especially when you're bidding on a car and then have to leave to go to work.

So ...

Forza 2 ... a good game ... a clone of GT to some extent, but then you could always say that they're ALL a clone of "REVS" ... (an old racing game for the BBC micro for all of you under the age of 30! ... it's on wikipedia for those wanting to find out more) ... and as to taking on the franchise ... every console has always had it's own versions for franchise ... just look at Mario and Sonic ... what's wrong with having GT and Forza ... both can live in this world? one for those who have PS machines and one for Xboxes

... and here endeth the lesson

good post Hybrid, Plus rep from me :)

you missed one thing though, GT physics suck, always have, and most probably always will (try drifting on GT4 with the DFP 900, its impossible unless you use stupid techniques, ie throw the car in at around 190, let it slip, then exit the turn doin 50)

the drift physics doesnt just count when ur drifting, if your racing and the back slips, you need a good physics engine to simulate it properly, the original Forza was bad in the drift area, you had to keep turning into the turn otherwise you would straighten up, basically, no countersteer required.

at the end of the day, im happy(read:EFFIN ECSTATIC) with FM2, GTHD might amuse some, but if there is even a hint of the GT4 physics it wont put a smile on my face

this post is opinion and not fact :p (although parts are fact)

Well I'm a "slider" rather than a "drifer" and most of the time I prefer to have grip round bends rather than going at 90degs to the corner ...

Perhaps the old dog needs to learn what this drifitng thing is all about

LOL, try it, you might like it :p

i didnt like drifting at one point, especially in racing games, until one day i thought screw it, and gave it a go, and well.... you all know the rest :p

The drifting, sliding phyiscs on Forza don't seen that great to be honest. Maybe it just thats becoue i'm rubbish but the only car I can really get sideways properly is a R34, other cars just under steer even when doing that flick thing (one way and then the other) and with all driving aids off, maybe it is just me.

Phere, it is you LOL

its the best game for drifting ever, it all works well, inertia is perfect

and on lower powered cars (my orange S13 for example) you need to be able to use the momentum of the car to drift (you will see what i mean when my vid is on youtube)

Plus rep to Hybrid for an excellent post with some very valid points.

I'll add a few of my own.

Yes. Of course FM2 is an attempt at stealing players from the GT Franchise. And as many others have done before, so have Turn 10 stood on the shoulders of Giants as they decided to make this game. Namely on the shoulders of Polyphony, who as most are aware, made Gran Turismo.

GT Franchise became popular on the fact that it contained so many cars that lots of people owned themselves or saw on the streets every day. Forza goes beyond that and brings a class of cars to the table that hasn't previously been available with GT. Furthermore they do not keep focus on, mostly, japanese made cars, where you see a line of Civics. (Only the Nissans are ridiculously overrepresented with models whose pfysics cannot possibly have been transferred to a computergame.)

The advantages on GT, that Forza sports though are: First proper Racing Sim on Next Gen Consoles (Nice graphics and impressive engine), the multiplayer part (Tournaments are nice and when I get multiplayer racing running, I am sure that is great too.) and it's out for Xbox.

The Next Gen-bit is mainly an advantage coz GTHD isn't out yet. It will be a fight to be sure, to see how GTHD will fare in the battle against FM2.

Multiplayer is great. It is ALWAYS preferable to play against erratic and unpredictable humans rather than AIs. I am sad to see that the Auction House, in my opinion, mainly is a way to get a car that has nice designs. Whenever a bid is registered, the countdown resets to two minutes allowing for more people to bid, which is a complete bucket of .... well you know. No chance of finding a nice sale looking through the auction house at random. Cars there are almost ALWAYS overpriced, and since you don't know how that kind of setup works for your driving style, you are pretty much buying in the blind.

As for Xbox... well this is a chance for people like myself (and Hybrid) who crossed over to Xbox because of TDU to get a chance to have a nice racing game and not be forced to go get a PS3 or stick around with the old GT4.

Pherelas: Drifting is for icebergs and continents. Go for speed over whiny tires and smokefilled courses. ;)

Plus rep to Hybrid for an excellent post with some very valid points.

Pherelas: Drifting is for icebergs and continents. Go for speed over whiny tires and smokefilled courses. ;)

Thanks for the Rep.

So what class of cars are avail in Forza2 that weren't in GT? ... GT4 from what I remember had everything from the slowest cars known to mankind (well from the dawn of the motorcar to be precise) all the way up to full blown LMPs, via GT racers, Rally cars, Super cars and tuner cars.

Oh and love the quote by the way ... might have to add that to my sig somewhere

good post Hybrid, Plus rep from me :)

Thanks for the rep Nipper

do you have to do anything to the car
Good point. I believe that, in real life, the cars entering drifting competitions are actually set up specifically for drifting.

So (troll mode on) maybe the GT physics are more accurate after all... :whistling:

Class might be the wrong word, but a section of Ferraris, Lambos, Porsche's and sos on were not in GT.

Can't remember which excactly as it is ages since I last checked the game.

But no Carrera GT, no 360 and no Gallardo.

But you did get 12 versions of Civics 16 versions of Skylines.

Baxie I think you mean the lack of Euro Exotics

I agree with baxie about the civics and skylines. I think in most of the GT games I've owned (which is all of them) I've had at least 10 different versions Skyline I remember on GT2 having the 1971 Skyline and every model up to the R34 and that was at least ten and that was not including all the different LM versions of it aswell i.e. Calsonic Skyline.

Also with the civics you had the spoon civic, sport civic, Type R, Type S, etc the same as most cars on the then you had the MX5/Eunos Roadster witch had at least 5 different models for each production year.

The Jap side was vast compared to the Euro Exotics like Ferrari and Lambo, Porsche (I think GT might have had RUF can't remember) which was non existant.

Also agree with Hybrid with it having every class as it had everything from a Ford KA,(I think it even had a Dihatsu 3 wheeled pick up in GT2), all the way to your Nissan LM's and Suzuki Pikes Peak. So in each car class you was spoiled for choice.

Also good summing up by Hybrid and Baxie in explaining the differences between FM2 and GT Series.

still, sometimes GT has cars for the sake of cars, i mean what place does the volvo estate box thing from the 80's have in a racing game? As great as the selection is i dont mind the smaller one to be honest. oh yeah, the nike one, the point in that thing was?

To demonstrate what cars might be like in the future.........

....and some free advertising for nike of coarse.

right, im killing myself now then! :p

damn, nipper beat me :p

hang on, future car!?

WHY DOESNT IT FLY? my dreams have been shattered :(

:p

right, im killing myself now then! :p

damn, nipper beat me :p

hang on, future car!?

WHY DOESNT IT FLY? my dreams have been shattered :(

:p

NOOOO, we cant have flying cars, cos flying cars wont have tires, thus drifting would be boring as hell :p

Well flying cars should be out by 2015 ... LOL!

As to the real future of cars who knows, GM is now pushing on the Fuel Cell/Electric technology and wants to have full blown cars on the road by 2010! They believe the Combustion engine must die and that Hybrids are just a stopgap and not the solution.

Some very strange cars designs are possible though, especially if you use 'in wheel' motors as your drive which is the way things should really end up as they are way more efficient as you have a direct drive and no losses through gearboxes or driveshafts etc

Sorry for going O.T.

As to the real future of cars who knows, GM is now pushing on the Fuel Cell/Electric technology and wants to have full blown cars on the road by 2010! They believe the Combustion engine must die and that Hybrids are just a stopgap and not the solution.

quote]

This is true but then the likes of BMW are going for Hydrogen cars that should be in Mass production by 2020 the latest and betwen then they reckon the likes of Lexus and Prius's Hybrids are the stop gap.

I doubt we would have electric cars it just doesn't seem pheasable as when you plug it into the wall you are technically still polluting the enviroment because that electric is coming from a power station chucking out smoke so that defies the point imo. The same as that stupid electric car in london that isn't classed as a car because if it was it would not pass the NCAP safety test and also you could imagine the claims of people tripping over your extension lead whilst you are charging it especially if you have to park on road.

Hydrogen is the way forward but the trouble with hydrogen is when the car it powers is left for a while i.e. you go on holiday for 2weeks and leave the car behind, something happens to the hydrogen and it explodes so hydrogen so iits not that good.

Anyways back on topic, did GT4 have a car that basically looked like a horse drawn carraige but had an engine or am I just loosing the plot????