We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Swapping Fans over on computers.....?

Iced_Bullet

I was wondering if it is possible to swap fans over between machienes ?? between one Dell Dimension to another?

Are there varying types? - like Graphics cards (ATI and Nvidia etc).

Because my dad's fan in his computer is much much louder than mine, and we were wondering if we could swap desktops, but keep our own original fans. As our computers do different things and would best suit the other person more... :P

Not sure exaclty what else to write just yet - sorry :)

Are they different Dell Dimensions?

I'm guessing that they are because they have different fans, So what are they?

Dads in the 8300 and mine the 3100.. lol not top notch but was v good year ago and at a bargin price cos i got about £300 offer off etc with everything :P yeah boi

Are there varying types? - like Graphics cards (ATI and Nvidia etc).
There are different types. These days you could have CPU fans, case fans, Northbridge fans, Graphics card fans, power supply fans....

If you want quiet stuff, look at quietpc.com or overclockers.co.uk

I've replaced CPU fans and case fans, but not northbridge or graphics card fans. The latter two come fitted to the board when you buy them, and I don't think it will be trivial to replace them in the general case. Certain models may allow you to. Maybe. It's even less likely you'll be able to replace a power supply fan yourself.

Also, a great deal of noise can be produced by hard disks, which I didn't appreciate until I'd made the rest of my PC as quiet as I could.

There are different types. These days you could have CPU fans, case fans, Northbridge fans, Graphics card fans, power supply fans....

If you want quiet stuff, look at quietpc.com or overclockers.co.uk

I've replaced CPU fans and case fans, but not northbridge or graphics card fans. The latter two come fitted to the board when you buy them, and I don't think it will be trivial to replace them in the general case. Certain models may allow you to. Maybe. It's even less likely you'll be able to replace a power supply fan yourself.

Also, a great deal of noise can be produced by hard disks, which I didn't appreciate until I'd made the rest of my PC as quiet as I could.

No it definately isn't the Hard drive :P lol, Ok Thanks for the info (Y) + Rep

It'd be pretty hard and fiddly to replace a PSU fan, but it's easy to replace video card fans. If you grab something like a Zalman VF700 all you have to do is remove 4 screws, take off the old heatsink+fan, line up the new one and screw it on!

Personally, i'll stick with my Antec Nine Hundred! =D

It'd be pretty hard and fiddly to replace a PSU fan, but it's easy to replace video card fans. If you grab something like a Zalman VF700 all you have to do is remove 4 screws, take off the old heatsink+fan, line up the new one and screw it on!

Personally, i'll stick with my Antec Nine Hundred! =D

Cheers :)