We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

5mp Camera phones advice

Pherelas

Right i've been looking into buying a new camera as my one is shocking. The thing is to get a 7mp compact camera its gunna cost me about £170. I will also need to get a new phones soon as my one is falling apart (K750i). I've seen that you can get a 5mp camera on a K850i which has great reviews online for £300. This seem to be the thing to do as my phone goes with me everywhere whereas my camera does not so I therefor end up using my phone camera much more often than I should as its rubbish to be honest.

What I want to know is if anyone has a 5mp phone camera thing and if it can compare to a small compact camera. Also is the phone any good as a whole as you can now get a k800 (3mp camera and stuff) for £100, might just do that. So anyone have it?

I have a K810i which is 3.2MP ... I was waiting for the K850i but unfortunately I was told it had failed a few Orange software tests

It all depends on how much you use a camera ... I tend to take snap shots everywhere and so a camera phone most of the time is good enough (and I need a new camera anyway as it is 4 years old, only 3.2MP, is dead slow and useless at taking nighttime shots)

If you want I'll take a random shot with my K810i (I got as a free upgrade) at some point and upload ... oh and one cool thing with the phone is it takes M2 cards ... I bought a 4G card for just over 30quid so use it as an MP3 player too ... oh and the radio isn't bad either

Was looking at the K810i and the K800i and didn't see a lot of difference apart from £80 difference in price. I use the camera on my phone a lot but its all see somthing and its there ready, I would never take a camera anywhere so would be pointless.

A picture from the K810i would be great so I can compare it to my current phone and some pictures for the K850i on the internet.

Does anyone have a Samsung G600 as i'd love to see the image quility of that becouse as thats £230 and therefor a lot cheaper.

At the moment i'm very tempted just to buy a K800i at the moment, cheaper and can carry on saving for a car.

What is the spec difference of a K800 to a K810?

Not alot, the buttons on the outside have changed from square to round and a couple of tweaks here and there. I had the W800i then my Dad got the W810i and the difference was mainly the way the phone looked and the software was slightly different but it still done the same thing.

Does anyone have a Samsung G600 as i'd love to see the image quility of that becouse as thats £230 and therefor a lot cheaper.

I will be getting one soon, I believe I will pester my parents to use their credit card soon ;) So probably wont be for a week or so before it gets delivered etc.

Are there not any on the net?

I really like my K750i, great to use, small but not to small and does what I want it to but the joystick is broken so thats winding me up and the Camera is rubbish, good when I got it but not as good as I want it to be. I really think I might just go down to the local shop and have a look at a few but its bound to be the cheaper one I go for. Apart from the better camera, that else does the K800i / K810i have?

EDIT: have just found out flickr has a search where you can find images taken from certain cameras.

Just found this website for you ... compares K800i to K810i ... one of the improvements is the cover on the camera (810 is 'flush') ... oh and its slightly smaller

I generally like the look of the 810i over the 800i and it's miles better than the 750i ... its nice to hold too

also has some photos taken on both cameras

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/sonyericsson-k810-en.shtml

Thanks for that, have been reading though, I've also got a few photo's from all the phones i'm looking at saved, will get them all side by side somehow.

Right I made them all 700 px wide (only the K750i was made bigger by it) and i'll post them here.

K750i

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289/pherelas/k750i-2.jpg

K810i

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289/pherelas/k810i-2.jpg

G600

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289/pherelas/g600-2.jpg

K800i

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289/pherelas/k800i-2.jpg

K850i

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289/pherelas/k850i-2.jpg

N95

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289/pherelas/n95-2.jpg

K810i

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289/pherelas/k810i-2.jpg

• 4 months later...

Right thought I'd post in this old post again A good while after I got my phone. I got the G600 in the end and to anyone looking to buy it DON'T. The camera is rubbish, takes forever to take and once you have taken the photo you think it's done, you move the phone away and the autofocus kicks in the takes a photo of the floor, is shocking. There are lots of useless gimics in the camera mode like hundreds of different setting for light balance and frames but I'd much rather a good fast normal camera.

The little covers on the side hiding the headphone socket and stuff will come off and the music player needs loads of space on the phone so it can make a database of all the songs which is anning when you have to do through deleteing photo's and videos to make space. The music fills up in alphabetical order even in album mode which is the biggest pain next to the camera.

There are a few good points like the fact there are loads of little applications like a good converter and claender / events thing but this cannot excusse the phones for its terrible camera and music player.

Anyway just to add if i'm doing somthing wreong and there is a magic cure to fix all these problems please tell me :)

it's typical, and to disappoint you, the K850i is amazing, and I couldn't live without it. Mainly because it's my business phone. But the camera is great, never had a problem with it, i'll take some photo's tomorrow and post them on the forum.

My brother has an LG Viewty which has a 5MP camera... I think it's pretty good, I'll try and nab a photo off him. He won't shut up about the 120FPS video, too, which he can play full screen on his 19" Acer without any problems. Plus, slow motion :D

Depends whether you don't mind paying a little extra for the touch screen. Also, you can hack it (the interface is purely Flash) meaning you can have all sorts of different themes and GUI.

I wish I got the K800i now, much cheaper and a much better phone and camera. My brother also has the Viewty and that looks great but its starting to scratch and i've had a few bad experience's with touch screen and really don't want a 300 odd quid phone braking in under a year.

Jeez, what's the point. My 2mp camera phone makes nice pictures, so why spend 300 on a phone with a better camera?

I spent 200 on mine and the extra 100 makes a huge differece. Also my K750i took shocking pictures which was 2mp, what phone is yours? They also have bigger screens, more applications, lighter ect. ect. Why buy it, well why buy a 360 over the old one, why by a flat screen over a non-flat screen ...

Nokia 6300.

- Great Screen

- Enough applications (FM Radio, Camera, Videocamera, you can phone somebody with it(!!), send messages, play games, download ringtones, got bluetooth etc.)

- Lightweight

- Addable memory (Mini SD)

etc. ;)