We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

9800GTX (help)

Camel

Well I have built my PC before i ordered my 9800GTX and borrowed a 7600GS and all worked fine. I got my 9800GTX at the weekend and the PSU fried, just got a new PSU today and installed it, plugged all of the cables in. I came to turning it on, power runs through everything fine, all the fans are going and the little LED on the back of the 9800GTX is green. Now heres the problem, now the computer wont even POST as in nothing happens on the monitor and there is one long beep from the internal speaker.

Anybody know what to do as I have just emailed POV support and am awaiting a reply

Also I have the AWARD BIOS (cant remember which one) and it does 1 long beep then 2 really short fast beeps (there website says its a GFX error) and i have a 800W PSU with 4 12V rails, each rated at 20A. It has 4 PCIe outputs and i have tried different ones and still have the same problem. Oh and the single card need 23A

And what do you mean by too high graphics card?

It's a faulty card, i just put one of my dads 7600GS's in and it POSTed fine and t booted and everything ran, the PSU isn't a problem as it can easily power two of these cards.

Putting a single card in on the second PCIe bay wouldn't work full stop. So I'm gonna RMA it back to ebuyer and get a replacement, if that doesn't work, i will try and different manufacturer and if that doesn't work i will settle for a 8800GTS 512 or 8800GTX.

Also I have the AWARD BIOS (cant remember which one) and it does 1 long beep then 2 really short fast beeps (there website says its a GFX error) and i have a 800W PSU with 4 12V rails, each rated at 20A. It has 4 PCIe outputs and i have tried different ones and still have the same problem. Oh and the single card need 23A

And what do you mean by too high graphics card?

Well obviously you don't have 4 separate rails rated at 20A each, as that would leave -160W left for everything else :oook:

What wattage do you have for the 12V rails combined?

Well obviously you don't have 4 separate rails rated at 20A each, as that would leave -160W left for everything else :oook:

What wattage do you have for the 12V rails combined?

I'm not an idiot, I do know how to read, i'll even take you a picture of it if you want. It peaks at 800W and is rated for 700W, there are 4 (four) 12V rails, each rated at 20 amps, yes twenty. No I don't get it either but i'll take a photo of it on saturday

I'm not calling you an idiot at all, don't worry. I was just doing the maths - 4x20A for 12V rails means you could be taking up 960W, which clearly isn't right for a 800W rated powersupply, especially when your CPU will be taking up 90W as well plus other peripherals.

I'm always suspicious of PSUs that claim nonsense figures - what they should have is a separate figure under the 12V or elsewhere that says 'maximum combined W on all 12V lines = x' and that should be a more realistic figure.

Still, unless it's a poor make of PSU I suspect that it's not the problem. Presumably you're using two PCIe power connectors to the card.. could one of them be faulty?

I'm not calling you an idiot at all, don't worry. I was just doing the maths - 4x20A for 12V rails means you could be taking up 960W, which clearly isn't right for a 800W rated powersupply, especially when your CPU will be taking up 90W as well plus other peripherals.

I'm always suspicious of PSUs that claim nonsense figures - what they should have is a separate figure under the 12V or elsewhere that says 'maximum combined W on all 12V lines = x' and that should be a more realistic figure.

Still, unless it's a poor make of PSU I suspect that it's not the problem. Presumably you're using two PCIe power connectors to the card.. could one of them be faulty?

I'll have a look at it on Saturday because it's still at my dads and there are 4 PCIe cables and i have tried different combinations of them