We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Help, looking to Build/Buy a PC

Nodz86

Major update to 1st post with lots of parts added, opinions or other alternative suggestions welcome.

Just need to decide on the GPU really as the build is at £870 atm might aswell get a good one about £300 max.

Also have I gone to OTT??

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a nice build, only thing I would suggest is a new case, since by the looks of things you ain't going cheap, but the case isn't the best. I have a similar case, and the dust it sucks in is annoying.

And for the case I would suggest you get a case where the powersupply fits at the bottom of the case and not at the top, because those 1000wat powersupplys are pretty heavy.

And the air flow in the case would improve along with space to fit that CPU Fan of yours, also with the fan, might be an idea to fit the fan before you install the mother board into the case. Because intel fans are a pain to fit!

That is a nice build, only thing I would suggest is a new case, since by the looks of things you ain't going cheap, but the case isn't the best. I have a similar case, and the dust it sucks in is annoying.

And for the case I would suggest you get a case where the powersupply fits at the bottom of the case and not at the top, because those 1000wat powersupplys are pretty heavy.And the air flow in the case would improve along with space to fit that CPU Fan of yours,

I know what your saying but thats the only case I really like the looks of, I don't really like the looks of the thermaltake and antec cases much and I don't really want to go down the full tower routa as space is a problem.

also with the fan, might be an idea to fit the fan before you install the mother board into the case. Because intel fans are a pain to fit!

I was gonna do that as you need to fix the back plate on the rear of the mobo

Nodz if your a bit of a DIY guy ;)

Because you need a nice surface to fit the fan on the mother board out of the case, get some MDF, mark out the mother board screw holes, but in the ones you need, and screw the mother board into the MDF using those screen that keep it like half and inch off the floor then put the Fan on then :) Easiest method.

Sorry crap explination :(

Nodz if your a bit of a DIY guy ;)

Because you need a nice surface to fit the fan on the mother board out of the case, get some MDF, mark out the mother board screw holes, but in the ones you need, and screw the mother board into the MDF using those screen that keep it like half and inch off the floor then put the Fan on then :) Easiest method.

Sorry crap explination :(

I get what you mean.

I've just added the DVD-RW drive I'm thinking of getting. Just need to decide between the PSU's and select a graphics Card.

Been reading through the spec on the Mobo and it supports crossfire not SLI, does this mean its more suited to an ATI GPU than an nVidia GPU??

Also on the PSU's I take it I'm gonna need toget special leads for the piperock PSU as all the connections are circular rather than square like on all the other PSU's.

Been reading through the spec on the Mobo and it supports crossfire not SLI, does this mean its more suited to an ATI GPU than an nVidia GPU??

If it only supports Crossfire then yes it is probably designed for Ati since Ati have CrossFire and Nvidia have Sli.

But you only need CrossFire if your planning on installing 2 GPU's into your mobo? If not you can get a single Nvidia Card.

Also on the PSU's I take it I'm gonna need toget special leads for the piperock PSU as all the connections are circular rather than square like on all the other PSU's.

PSU come with all the cables needed to run a PC.

I was thinking about a dual card not sure tbh, the GPU's seem to be confuzzling me the most as there are so many.

Been looking at other cases and can't find any I really like with the PSU mounted at the bottom and most cases upto £100 still have the PSU mounted at the top.

Edit:

Just been looking at GPU's, again, are the x2 cards (4870x2 or 9800GTx2) are they 2 cards in one thus meaning it does not matter if your board is crossfire or SLI??

Edit 2:

Whats the difference between the mobo I've choosen and the asus nvidia 780's on scan. They have the same socket both under the Intel section. The only difference I can see is that my one is crossfire whereas the other is SLI.

Edit:

Just been looking at GPU's, again, are the x2 cards (4870x2 or 9800GTx2) are they 2 cards in one thus meaning it does not matter if your board is crossfire or SLI??

Correct. Still have most of the problems with some games not using the second chip etc, but they work on any motherboard.

Edit 2:

Whats the difference between the mobo I've choosen and the asus nvidia 780's on scan. They have the same socket both under the Intel section. The only difference I can see is that my one is crossfire whereas the other is SLI.

Different chipsets, both designed for the Intel CPU. nVidia chipsets can support SLI, Intel chipsets can support Crossfire. Intel are widely regarded as more reliable, and recently have been getting the speed crown as well. nVidia chipsets are a bit flaky sometimes, though they're always quite fast.

Different chipsets, both designed for the Intel CPU. nVidia chipsets can support SLI, Intel chipsets can support Crossfire. Intel are widely regarded as more reliable, and recently have been getting the speed crown as well. nVidia chipsets are a bit flaky sometimes, though they're always quite fast.

Ah k, thanks Kal. I reckon I might be swaying towards a HD4870 GPU (not the x2) as its better than the GTX260 and alot cheaper than the GTX280. (and the fact there aren't many veriations unlike the nVidia GPU's).

Updated the Specs once again. Decided on a GPU and changed the case. Added a floppy drive and MS office (as it is for 3 comps so can go on all comps in house). Might get another GPU early next year, depends on what games I get into. All I need to do now is to find a decent card reader.

So what are your opinions could I have done better/worse for my money?? Probably gonna order the weekend.

Also have I forgot anything (leads, etc) and do I need one of them anti static things. Oh and a good make of thermal paste aswell.

(sorry for double post wouldn't have shown otherwise)

AARRGGHHH, I started looking at mobo's again and I am stuck between the P5Q Premium (the one I was gonna get) and the Maximus formula II which is more towards gamers.

I have no Idea which is better, all I know is the maximus formula II has a better sound card, an lcd display thingy and an auto overclock button but has less of some ports and more than others. I have no idea help.

(I knew I shouldnt have started looking again)

i think u should change ur power supply...same w but the brand...dunno just change it

Why??? There must have been a reason for your negative view of Corsair??

As far as I'm aware they are one of the best about and always have good reviews on there products