We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Help, looking to Build/Buy a PC

Nodz86

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right I was just searching about on the usual sites and it seems that you can't get a 64 bit Retail version of Vista they only sell OEM. Is this correct??
No - what they mean is that the retail version of Vista Premium only comes with a 32bit disc - you then contact MS who will send you a 64bit disc.

Was thinking about this MoBo

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/142854

Was a good mobo for the last generation - but for the same money I'd now get a p45 rather than 35.

And heres the HDD I was looking at:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/143288

This is good.

good choice of RAM.

But I would suggest that you go for Western Digital for the HDD because their Customer Support is so much better than others.

(I know i had to send one back and i got a brand new freshly made one back. Where as a friend sent one to Seagate and it only got repaired)

No - what they mean is that the retail version of Vista Premium only comes with a 32bit disc - you then contact MS who will send you a 64bit disc.

Ahh makes sense now, does that mean they charge you even more??

Was a good mobo for the last generation - but for the same money I'd now get a p45 rather than 35.

I realised that after I read cutom PC mag, Probably will go for the P45, just need to have a look at the price.

good choice of RAM.

But I would suggest that you go for Western Digital for the HDD because their Customer Support is so much better than others.

(I know i had to send one back and i got a brand new freshly made one back. Where as a friend sent one to Seagate and it only got repaired)

The reason I went for samsung is mainly the price and there Spin Point F1's have got good reviews.

In what way? Business doesn't come with any of the media centre stuff. Home Premium is the best featured version for the money in my opinion.

So would you bother going the whole hog and getting Ultimate or is it a watse of money??

Also looking at Mobo's found that most of the newer ones with wifi support DDR3 thus making them expensive. So looks like one with wifi is out the window unless DDR3 stuff starts coming down in price soon.

I don't honestly see the advantage of getting anything higher than Home Premium. Except braging rights ...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/default.aspx

Yes, you get some extra hardware protection, but getting home premium isn't going to blow up at specific GPU because it doesn't like the colour of it! Same goes for data, I keep backups anyway ...

And I don't need the business access. Home Premium comes with Romote Access should I actually need something of that sort.

For £59 I was really pleased with it =]

I don't honestly see the advantage of getting anything higher than Home Premium. Except braging rights ...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/default.aspx

Yes, you get some extra hardware protection, but getting home premium isn't going to blow up at specific GPU because it doesn't like the colour of it! Same goes for data, I keep backups anyway ...

And I don't need the business access. Home Premium comes with Romote Access should I actually need something of that sort.

For £59 I was really pleased with it =]

I take it you got OEM, Ultimate is £50 more OEM and about £330 Retail.

I've just been reading through what you got Iced, the CPU fan you got does that just stick on the CPU and plug in?? and is it essential to have one??

Well I got the OEM CPU version, not retail (- minus fancy box, any manual, any fan and heat sink (paste). I didn't need a manual as the Mobo came with a very detailed one.

You 100% need some form of paste otherwise the CPU will actually physically explode. Also, you need a fan to keep the temperature stable and cool. You get some paste and fan with the retail version, but according to everyone who I spoke to on 3 forums, they said it would be best to get the OEM CPU (£10 less) + my fan (£15) meaning I spent £5 more. But the paste (which is already applied onto the fan) is much better and the fan is in a different orientation to the retail one for better air flow.

It's very easy to fix, just face it in the direction you wish the air to flow, peel off the plastic cover which protects the paste, plonk it on and you're done with 4 screws. I was lucky that there was less than 1mm between the fan base and the Mobo Copper Cooling thingy. MadMax said his mate wasn't so lucky, but they fixed it by bending part of it.

Retail Fan

osx386-1.png

Arctic Cooler Pro 7

installed.sized.jpg

k, cheers Iced, greta help as always.

I'm dreading putting this lot together when I actually get it.

Edit:

Scan now don't do the CPU I was gonna get so now I'm stuck on that. Also whats the difference between yorkfield and kentsfield?? (Intel CPU)

I was too. But it's not that bad if you give yourself an evening to do it. 3-4 hours with OS install, seeing as it's your first build. We wne t extra slow. Make sure you hae a big area clear for building and already have the game discs as you'll be wanting to jump straight on and try the quality :p I was!

The Mobo instructions will be detailed enough for you to follow them. I did print this out, but didn't use it in the end - http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/

I was too. But it's not that bad if you give yourself an evening to do it. 3-4 hours with OS install, seeing as it's your first build. We wne t extra slow. Make sure you hae a big area clear for building and already have the game discs as you'll be wanting to jump straight on and try the quality :p I was!

The Mobo instructions will be detailed enough for you to follow them. I did print this out, but didn't use it in the end - http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/

K, thatnks for the link Iced.

I keep trying to Rep you but I need to get myslef about a bit before it lets me give you some.

Guest RB26DETT

Kentsfield processors are the old Quad processors like the Q6600 while Yorksfield are the newer line of Quad processors like the Q9450. The only difference I can make of the Yorksfield processors is have more system cache over the Kentsfield processors, and they have higher FSB rates.

Cool, Yorkfield it is then (as its newer). I was mainly wondering what the difference was.

These are the 2 Mobo's I'm looking at:

Asus P5Q Premium

http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=818516

Asus Maximus II Formula

http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=846081

With this CPU:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=743028

I take it you're going for an expensive build then? :)

Haha, seems that way. The thing is I always go to OTT or think the more i spend the better it'll be, I also don't intend to upgrad for a good while neither.

Also not having a clue what the numbers all mean don't really help. I've got this weeks Micro Mart mag which talks about Mobo's and what ones do what. lol

Guest RB26DETT

Sorry for the late reply.

From the two motherboards you've picked out they're pretty similar but I would get the Asus P5Q due to having better selection of Expansion Slots.

• 2 weeks later...

Right got the big one to sort now, Graphics cards, single or Dual, ATI or nVidia etc etc. Not quite sure what to do.

GTX280 is well to expensive, GTX260 is not as powerful as the ATI equivalent but then if you enable physx (sp?) it becomes quicker (I'm sure I read something about that). But then is the older range (9800) well out of date or are graphics cards like phones with new ones out every 5 mins.

Also what are good brands of cards?? i.e point of view, sapphire, asus, etc??

Edit:

Its got to have HD output as its gonna be run on my tv (samsung a656 32")

Right got the big one to sort now, Graphics cards, single or Dual, ATI or nVidia etc etc. Not quite sure what to do.

GTX280 is well to expensive, GTX260 is not as powerful as the ATI equivalent but then if you enable physx (sp?) it becomes quicker (I'm sure I read something about that). But then is the older range (9800) well out of date or are graphics cards like phones with new ones out every 5 mins.

Also what are good brands of cards?? i.e point of view, sapphire, asus, etc??

Edit:

Its got to have HD output as its gonna be run on my tv (samsung a656 32")

All GPUS will come with 2 HD and 1 S-Video (Only 2 can be used at once). BFG are good, they offer lifetime warranty ... once you'd decided on a card, the thing then to look a is bundles, discounts, offers of the week / day, warranty, OC'ing or to go with the prettiest Virtual girl on the box (Sapphire ATI ;))

Guest RB26DETT
or to go with the prettiest Virtual girl on the box (Sapphire ATI ;))

O_O why do i get a frog on the cover of my box... stupid PALIT.

brands:

NVIDIA

-BFG

-XFX

-Zotac

-eVGA

-ASUS

-PNY

ATi

-Sapphire

-Diamond

-ASUS