We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

My education options

Car Freak

Yeah. Like the thread says...

I'm stuck in a dilemma. In school I'm required to take two languages, English and a Mother Tongue, which in my case is Chinese. Instead of doing the regular O/A level express stream, I am doing the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Baccalaureate

Now, the IBDP requires all students to take a second language, as does the Ministry of Education. Thus, I have been studying Chinese for the past 10 years since primary school. Last year I passed my Chinese O level paper, scoring a C5. This year though, since I'm starting the IBDP proper, I can choose between taking Chinese at Language B level, or other languages at ab initio level. Basically, I am considering German for the latter option. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IB_Group_2_subjects

Because of my (hopeful) career choice, I feel that at least having some basic knowledge of German would be useful later on, and I'd really rather like the opportunity to pick that up. HOWEVER, taking Gernam ab initio means I have to drop Chinese B (which I don't mind, since I've never been fond of Chinese). Now the IBDP has no problems with that, since all I need is a second language as part of my list of chosen subjects. The problem lies here: The Singaporean Ministry of Education does have a problem with me not doing Chinese, and states that, in order to take up a non-mother tongue ab initio language, I am required to sit for the Chinese H1 A level paper. On the other hand, sticking with Chinese B means I won't have to sit for the A-level paper, and would probably be quite a lot easier.

The problem with taking German is that 1) I will be taking an A-level paper that is of a rather higher standard than I've done before, without really taking any lessons from now till then, and 2) My Chinese is frankly, crap. Plus I don't really have much interest in it.

So, should I

a) Continue with Chinese B, a subject that should be fairly easy to score, despite not having much interest, or

b) Take up German ab initio, learn a new language of which I have interest but have to struggle for the bloody Chinese exam in 1 or 2 years time without having any lessons in the meantime?

I'm asking you guys cos I just want as many opinions as possible before I finalise my subject combination for the next two years of my education. Serious answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PS I realise that I may have some difficulty getting my point across clearly, so please please please ask me to clarify anything that seems vague or you don't understand, particularly the background of the Singapore education system

That is quite a hard decision, and since you've taken Chinese for such a long time it would be a shame to drop it at the end, but you have interest in learning german and it would be helpful for a career (a lot of careers require travel to Germany, especially in the automotive and technological market), but there are a hell of a lot of jobs available in Beijing and especially Hong Kong as well.

It's very hard to decide but I would say both. Finish chinese and take up German in your spare time and have the best of both worlds. I just really think it would be a shame to stop Chinese when you've been doing it for so long...

I would say stick with Chinese. If you think its easy to get a good grade, go for it. There are PLENTY of instructional CD's/books etc for you to learn German on your own initiative.

What's better? Speaking a bit of Chinese/Bit of German or Fluently speaking Chinese. I know what I'd pick, but that's my opinion.

and German is quite a weird language to learn! There are so many variations for words (I took German for three years - fun all the way!)

I think i'm right in saying that the problem with german is that while many countrys speak it they all speak slightly different versions. Might be compleatly wrong but this is what they said in school.

Secoundly German is very different from Chinese and English so might be a challange. China is the biggest up and coming country, i'd love to be able to speak chinese, well worth it I imagine but is totaly your chioce.