We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Getting a New Graphics Card (and PSU)

Reventon

As I have discussed before, my GeForce 8500GT just isn't cutting it. It's making the game a lot less fun. So with a pursuit to have a better graphics card, I did my research.

I will be getting a ASUS TOP 4850HD 512MB card. Core clock and memory clock are decent, has good reviews. I'm also getting a new PSU.

And to my surprise, a friendly man on another forum I attend offered to give me a new processor for free as long as I pay shipping. He said he had a new one and didn't need his old one. Turns out it's a AMD 64 X2 6400+ Black Edition dual-core processor.

Now I must ask do you guys think this will be substantial enough to play TDU on at least medium settings and 1280x1024 resolution? I hope so, but just asking.

Current processor to new processor:

AMD 64 4000+ @2.6GHz single-core

to

AMD 64 X2 6400+ @3.2GHz Black Edition dual-core

Current video card to new card:

Nvidia GeForce 8500GT 256MB GGDR2

to

ASUS TOP 4850HD 512MB GGDR3

Current PSU to new PSU:

Stock Delta Electronics 250W

to

Corsair CMPSU-400CX 400W

Current RAM:

4GB DDR2 667MHz

Obviously I know this will be a substantial upgrade, but can anyone tell me how my performance overall will be after this upgrade. I'm hoping it will be a big jump from my current specs and hopefully I'll be able to play TDU with good settings finally!

That should play TDU on maximum settings.

However, you will need to get a better PSU. The minimum for that GFX card is 450W but if I were you I'd go for a 500W or 550W with a PCI-express 6+2 pin cable on it

O.o I already purchased the Corsair. I figure since my current PSU is 250W and I am running everything fine, then I can run all of this on a 400W PSU. The 4850 is about 103W or so, so it should run fine. Unless something magically eats up more wattage.

Aww why the hell did this get moved? I'm asking about TDU, not General Gaming. Now it will take like 5 days to get another response.

Well I've been nothing but positive feedback form many people on a Tech Support Forum, so I think I will be fine as long I don't overclock anything. I tried two power supply calculators and one came up with 352W and another 278W, so I should be fine. If I notice my computer freezing, then I will know what it is.

Well guys I've been getting all positive feedback on a tech support forum, only one out of about 20-25 people said I wouldn't be good.

So I think I'm going to have to take their word for it. Generally speaking, people who visit tech support forums usually have a good knowledge and experience of computers.

Yes, that corsair is more than enough to run a 4850. Total wattage has almost nothing to do with whether a PSU is powerful enough for a graphics card and you should never use that as a measurement.

I run that cards big brother, the 4870, on a 480W PSU.