We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

My father's BMW 318Ci Cabriolet (E46) + "Possible" new car

Hari Vatanan

Well, I was just wandering around the forum and found this section, so I thought I would upload these. :)

First registered in 06/2002, my dad bought it in used state a year after with little over 11,000 Kms for around 40% less than the price as new. Indeed a pretty good deal for such a great car. The car is registered as a 318Ci but it actually has a 320Ci engine and is also equipped with the M Sport kit, all of this originally installed from factory. It's a pretty unique car, and a beloved one. :drool:

Sorry for the blurry pictures, I took them with my mobile phone. :rolleyes:

-- OLD IMAGE REMOVED (imageshack) ---- OLD IMAGE REMOVED (imageshack) ---- OLD IMAGE REMOVED (imageshack) ---- OLD IMAGE REMOVED (imageshack) ---- OLD IMAGE REMOVED (imageshack) ---- OLD IMAGE REMOVED (imageshack) --

-- OLD IMAGE REMOVED (imageshack) ---- OLD IMAGE REMOVED (imageshack) ---- OLD IMAGE REMOVED (imageshack) ---- OLD IMAGE REMOVED (imageshack) ---- OLD IMAGE REMOVED (imageshack) ---- OLD IMAGE REMOVED (imageshack) --

Unfortunately my father wants to sell it, but because he's searching for a Mercedes-Benz S400 CDI for a good price. As of now, one of the best deals is the one shown in the photos below. It's from 2001, has around 161,557 miles, has lots of extra equipment and great looking AMG 18'' rims. My dad wants to sell the BMW especially because, at his age, he doesn't like the rigid feel of the suspension, as it's a sports car, so he wants a confortable, luxurious and powerful vehicle, just like this Mercedes. Even though I'll be sad for the BMW going away, I'll be happy knowing that an equally amazing car is gonna take it's place. ;)

Some pictures of the Mercedes:

-- OLD IMAGE REMOVED (imageshack) ---- OLD IMAGE REMOVED (imageshack) ---- OLD IMAGE REMOVED (imageshack) --

balto, can you please stop with that in every thread a guy want to post pictures of their/family's cars??!

its annoying me! really..

now back on topic, as we say.

great cars there. love the bmw, could need some m3 side mirrors though ;)

balto, can you please stop with that in every thread a guy want to post pictures of their/family's cars??!

its annoying me! really..

now back on topic, as we say.

great cars there. love the bmw, could need some m3 side mirrors though ;)

ummm, stop with what exactly mate? I'm expressing my opinion! Never said the car was ugly, heck no! ITS GORGEOUS!

Why would not go for a stock S-Class? It seems that the pre-facelift S-Class you're looking at has the facelift headlights.

By the way, I recommend the Mercedes-Benz S-Class if you are looking for a family saloon. It's a great "limo", especially with it's rear legroom (looks like you're looking at the long-wheelbase) and it's quite fast as long as you haven't go for the low powered ones. With a car like this, the more you drive it, the less problems you have. If you have any questions, just PM or reply.

- An Experienced S-Class Passenger since 2003

Thank you everyone for your replies. ;)

Glad to meet a person who's experienced with the S-Class here. :thumbsup:

Indeed, the main reason my father wants a car like this is because of the amazing interior espace, confort and power. This one especifically is the S400 CDI, which is equipped with a 3997 cc V8 turbo diesel engine producing 246 bhp @ 4000 rpm, with a maximum torque of 560 Nm (413 ft-lb) @ 1700-2600 rpm, and weights around 1990 kg (4387 lb). Well, by looking at these stats I suppose it can be quite the monster with the foot all way down, especially because of it's huge amount of torque.

My father has an idea of these car's reliability. He, besides the BMW, has a more "day-to-day" car, a '92 Mercedes-Benz 190E with around 75,507 miles and it never had any problems, besides the regular maintenance.

We recently got the answer on the car's mileage (161,557 miles) and we are now in doubt if it would be a good deal to buy a vehicle with so many miles, even though it's lower price and 1 year warranty...The dealer mentioned that most of those miles were done on the highway (100-140 km/h | 60-90 mph) but still, those are just so many miles...

Unfortunately there isn't any other S-Class whitin my father's tastes/possibilities at the moment, but it's probably better not to rush for a deal, maybe we should hold on for some time and wait until another one happens to come by, even though this type of car is rare to find around here, especially for a good price.

Thank you everyone for your replies. ;)

Glad to meet a person who's experienced with the S-Class here. :thumbsup:

Indeed, the main reason my father wants a car like this is because of the amazing interior espace, confort and power. This one especifically is the S400 CDI, which is equipped with a 3997 cc V8 turbo diesel engine producing 246 bhp @ 4000 rpm, with a maximum torque of 560 Nm (413 ft-lb) @ 1700-2600 rpm, and weights around 1990 kg (4387 lb). Well, by looking at these stats I suppose it can be quite the monster with the foot all way down, especially because of it's huge amount of torque.

My father has an idea of these car's reliability. He, besides the BMW, has a more "day-to-day" car, a '92 Mercedes-Benz 190E with around 75,507 miles and it never had any problems, besides the regular maintenance.

We recently got the answer on the car's mileage (161,557 miles) and we are now in doubt if it would be a good deal to buy a vehicle with so many miles, even though it's lower price and 1 year warranty...The dealer mentioned that most of those miles were done on the highway (100-140 km/h | 60-90 mph) but still, those are just so many miles...

Unfortunately there isn't any other S-Class whitin my father's tastes/possibilities at the moment, but it's probably better not to rush for a deal, maybe we should hold on for some time and wait until another one happens to come by, even though this type of car is rare to find around here, especially for a good price.

With cars like these, they're meant to be driven on the highway A LOT and I mean A LOT. They're meant to last a long time and one person from our dealer actually told us that the more you drive them, the less problems you have. Keep in mind that you should be aware that Mercedes-Benz were having some quality problems that time and you may experience some minor problems, such as wood trim that pop up, but by this time, the previous owner probably got it taken care of. In the US, it is possible to find an S-Class of that age with around 40,000-60,000 miles. We have an S430 with 65,000 miles and it runs great. With these cars, DO NOT BRING THEM TO THE CAR WASH EVER AS EVERY LUXURY CARS NEEDS PROPER CARE WHEN CLEANING. If I were you, I would see every car in person just to make sure it's perfect ;)

Heh, I myself would probably stick with the BMW as well (being a convertible and all) but, as I mentioned before, my father isn't much into sports cars now, he prefers a vehicle with an amazing grade of espace and confort. Besides, in here diesel is cheaper than petrol, so one more point for the Mercedes on that.

I've been checking the taxis around here (which are mostly Mercedes) and it's unbelievable how many miles these cars can run without having any kind of mecanical failures. For example, one of our neighbours has a 250D taxi from around '87-'89 with over 310,000 miles and still runs great. Also, by looking at most taxis around here, the average mileage surpasses 100,000 miles.

About cleaning up, I'm sure my father knows how to, he always takes good care of his cars and pays extra attention to the interior.

We are seriously thinking about that S400 CDI in especific, as it's the best deal so far, even though the considerably high amount of miles. We indeed will have to go check the car personally and ask for any further information that we may need to know.

Thank you for the time put into your comments, they are really helpful and filled us with more knowledge about the S-Class. ;)