We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Blur - The new game made by Actvision

Baltoman

VIDEO: Blur trailer surprisingly in focus

by John Neff on May 23rd, 2009 at 5:01PM

screenshot0_opt.jpg

Click above to watch Blur trailer

after the jump

Activision made Blur, its new racing game by Bizarre Creations (the developers of the Project Gotham Racing series), official when it announced on Tuesday that the game will arrive on store shelves for the XBox 360, PS3 and PCs this fall. Hot on the heels of being deemed officially official, the game has now gotten its first trailer, which can be viewed after the jump.

We've been jonesing for another good racing game ever since Gran Turismo 5 Prologue dropped and we wore out our GRID discs. Blur appears to be something quite unexpected – not a racing sim, but rather a racing game that looks like PGR with the ability to harness Jedi powers and knock other cars off the road with lightning bolts. Hey, we're just going by the trailer here. It's even been described by some as Forza meets Mario Kart, so we're definitely eager for our blogging buddies from Joystiq to attend E3 and bring back more details, but until then, follow the jump to watch the trailer or check out some high-res screen shots in the gallery below.

Gallery: Bizarre Creations: Blur

• screenshot0_thumbnail.jpg
  • screenshot1_thumbnail.jpg
  • screenshot2_thumbnail.jpg
  • screenshot3_thumbnail.jpg
  • screenshot4_thumbnail.jpg
  • screenshot5_thumbnail.jpg

[source: Joystiq]

• 11 months later...

Major bump but is anyone here blur-ing?

I got the game over the weekend and it's a lot of fun. I was put off by the power-ups at first but they do add a lot of fun like Mario kart. The multiplayer is surprisingly deep and has a driving school rank which is basically 0-10 only. So you don't get owned by faster or better cars.

The other part I like is if you are good you can counter almost all the power ups. You can fire most of them forward or backward so you can fire a bolt backwards to counter a shunt chasing you.

Then once you've mastered that you can use combos to be very powerful. A example of this is using shunt to clear your path and nitro you way through the gap then lay a mine for the chasing pack to hit.

It's worth a look if you want something different to keep off the TDU2 wait.

Split/Second is better than Blur ;)

Hmm it does look good but Blur has licensed cars so it appeals to me more. Despite that in this setting licensed cars aren't exactly crucial I still like them.

Hmm it does look good but Blur has licensed cars so it appeals to me more. Despite that in this setting licensed cars aren't exactly crucial I still like them.

Yea, licensed cars only missing :(

hey man, what's wrong with you PC Configuration? LOL ROFL :D :D

This my opinion of the game, so if you think im wrong about something then just ignore me =).

Pros

*Alot of cars

*Multiplayer kicks ass

*Real cars

*Split screen multiplayer

*Didn't take much time to uninstall

Cons

*You cannot change controls and the control layout is AWFUL! (Gotta be like stupidest thing i've ever heard)

*Graphics are outdated, looks like 2005 game

*Since its shooter type of racing it should have alot of powerups, it has only 8

*Frustration (somebody shoots an missle up your ass only few meters from finish line)

*AI (Easy is too easy, medium is too hard)

*Repetitive gameplay

*Poor damage model

*Handling

*Career sucks

*Soundtrack

*Alot of bugs

In conclusion my rating for this game is 5/10. I had fun playing it, but i just couldn't watch past the cons i mentioned. You guys might like this game but i dont.

Hmm... Does that mean you can only play on the keyboard? Or can you change the controller, but not the button mapping (like in Sega Rally)?

Yes, you can only use keyboard, with awful control layout. But i cant imagine playing it with wheel anyways. And it doesn't support gamepads either, at least i didnt get mine working.

Do cars have interiors and can you free roam?

No / No