We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

First Car

Choco

Hey guys, Im 15 and on the hunt for a car.

Last night a family friend of ours (Happends to race/spray cars) came to dinner I had a long chat to him and he said he could hook me up with a Alfa Romeo Sud.

Just wanted to know if anyone out there has one or has driven one? My friend said they handle isanly good for a 20 year old car. Also tell me what your first car was?

I have always had a passion for motorcars and can't wait to get my license.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

okay thanks guys, my friend has found one for around 3,000 AUD so I should have a bit of money to spend on it.

thanks

Well the guy backed out.

However I am still looking for one, however I have a sudden fettish for VW Mk1's.

Although 1. I don't like FWD's and 2. it lacks a punch.

So would like some help choosing, Alfa Sud or Golf Mk1?

mod edit: Please don't double post. Thanks!

Mate, I can honestly say for your first car you will want something that is cheap (to buy, run, maintain), reliable, and mostly basic. If you want to be spending a large amount of money on a car from a young age then do go for those cars you have mentioned. But honestly a good start would be an older toyota corolla, holden commodore, ford falcon, and theres plenty other great cars out there that are great bang for buck. If however you were to choose between those two cars you mentioned I'd go the VW as you're more likely to be able to find parts for it then the alfasud.

Oh okay yeah that makes sense although the thing is, I have been saving up for a car for like 3 years and im not really a fan of blowing a couple of grand on a commy.

Like I understand you completely.

I'll keep my eye out for something a little less to matain.

Thanks man +rep!

i'd keep looking cheap too, otherwise you could crash and wreck the car, or crash and wreck yourself, you just have to ask baldred the joys of having a fast car for that (rolled on the motorway in his first car, a 24v Clio, rear ended a bus in his second, a ford focus ST)

i'm looking at a car but insurance companies seem to think the only thing an 18 year old wont kill himself in is a 600cc Shitroen 2cv, even a mid 90's skoda felicia is 2.5k

Oh okay yeah that makes sense although the thing is, I have been saving up for a car for like 3 years and im not really a fan of blowing a couple of grand on a commy.

Like I understand you completely.

I'll keep my eye out for something a little less to matain.

Thanks man +rep!

For a first car in this great land of ours look for something reliable, cheap to maintain and decent amount of power :) I have looked around (before I got my car) and there are a few good options out there :)

i'd keep looking cheap too, otherwise you could crash and wreck the car, or crash and wreck yourself, you just have to ask baldred the joys of having a fast car for that (rolled on the motorway in his first car, a 24v Clio, rear ended a bus in his second, a ford focus ST)

i'm looking at a car but insurance companies seem to think the only thing an 18 year old wont kill himself in is a 600cc Shitroen 2cv, even a mid 90's skoda felicia is 2.5k

Fortunate for us Insurance is relatively cheap (compared to you guys). Not at all like cars though (I figured out the base M3 e92 Coupe is 80k Quid in AU)

And I would also have to say that the majority of Australian drivers are pretty good :) I haven't had any accidents in my 3 years of driving :D

Yeah funny thing is my gandma is like a ultra-platinum member with her insurance company and she gets a free membership from them which she is giving me! which covers everything.

For a first car in this great land of ours look for something reliable, cheap to maintain and decent amount of power :) I have looked around (before I got my car) and there are a few good options out there :)

Fortunate for us Insurance is relatively cheap (compared to you guys). Not at all like cars though (I figured out the base M3 e92 Coupe is 80k Quid in AU)

And I would also have to say that the majority of Australian drivers are pretty good :) I haven't had any accidents in my 3 years of driving :D

Yeah will do, also if you come across something then shoot me a PM? that would be great

Your dreaming if you think your gonna find the cars your lookin at. even if you did find them your gonna be spending most your time fixing them or should i say your family friend will spend most his time fixing it. Also insurance will cost a arm & a leg.

But surely by fixing them,spending time on them will develop my knowledge of cars etc?

My dad was saying, that's all he did when he had his Chrylser Valiant, spent the whole time under the bonnet and he is glad he did do that because he has learnt so much..

I dunno ha, I still have awhile to decide..

Thanks for all your help

Do you need the car for anything or is it just fun. If its fun go ahead with something cool, but if you need to realy on it getting a classic is a poor idea. Up to you in the end.

It would just be for fun the odd cruise up the coast. but more just running around town every now and then.

Mate you really should go a modern-ish common car, and your best getting a holden or ford. I totally understand you wanting something out of the ordinary, and you should get that in due time but not as your first car.

When i was 18 i got a perfect condition magna through the family, which cost me 3 grand in maintenance in just one year, and then died i sold it for $100 to wreckers. Then i got a vt commodore wagon at 19 with 440,000kms and has been almost perfect the whole time.

It is still my main car and now has 494,000kms and is running as strong as ever even though i thrash it every single day at every corner and race off at every traffic light.

I wont be bothered getting another car until the engine dies but the engine has been bullet proof. And bullet proof is exactly what you want in a first car, then down the track if you happen to have extra money, go and buy an alpha or whatever as a second car.

I have a second car which is a perfect 1966 HR holden. But it truly is just a weekend car.

My girlfriend has a wonderful 1988 red e30 bmw, she bought it when she was 16, and we both love it, but the servicing and parts costs were astronomical, she grew sick of the bottomless pit of money and is now looking for a holden adventra because she is jealous of the low severing costs and reliability of my car.

By the time you're 18 you will have more money. and will earn a lot more when that time comes, so if you are working for a couple of years on a decent wage you will be able to get a car you really want. My next car will probably a renault clio sport or a v8 holden because i can now afford it

hope that helps

Mate you really should go a modern-ish common car, and your best getting a holden or ford. I totally understand you wanting something out of the ordinary, and you should get that in due time but not as your first car.

When i was 18 i got a perfect condition magna through the family, which cost me 3 grand in maintenance in just one year, and then died i sold it for $100 to wreckers. Then i got a vt commodore wagon at 19 with 440,000kms and has been almost perfect the whole time.

It is still my main car and now has 494,000kms and is running as strong as ever even though i thrash it every single day at every corner and race off at every traffic light.

I wont be bothered getting another car until the engine dies but the engine has been bullet proof. And bullet proof is exactly what you want in a first car, then down the track if you happen to have extra money, go and buy an alpha or whatever as a second car.

I have a second car which is a perfect 1966 HR holden. But it truly is just a weekend car.

My girlfriend has a wonderful 1988 red e30 bmw, she bought it when she was 16, and we both love it, but the servicing and parts costs were astronomical, she grew sick of the bottomless pit of money and is now looking for a holden adventra because she is jealous of the low severing costs and reliability of my car.

By the time you're 18 you will have more money. and will earn a lot more when that time comes, so if you are working for a couple of years on a decent wage you will be able to get a car you really want. My next car will probably a renault clio sport or a v8 holden because i can now afford it

hope that helps

hey, thanks yeah that did help alot. It's good to hear from an aus who has been there.

The only downside with commy's is the fuel consumption, but i'll look into them. Plus I'll probably end up a gum tree if I had that much power.

If you hear of anything sutible then let me know.

Ill get this weeks tarding post and have a good look!

Thanks + rep

hey, thanks yeah that did help alot. It's good to hear from an aus who has been there.

The only downside with commy's is the fuel consumption, but i'll look into them. Plus I'll probably end up a gum tree if I had that much power.

If you hear of anything sutible then let me know.

Ill get this weeks tarding post and have a good look!

Thanks + rep

Commodore's don't use astronomical amounts of fuel if you drive them wisely ;) my VX has pretty good economy, considering I like to thrash it around a bit haha great fun it is though :D

When I get some money I might even get a 4.2L stroker / super pack for it - then it really will fly xD

Commodore's don't use astronomical amounts of fuel if you drive them wisely ;) my VX has pretty good economy, considering I like to thrash it around a bit haha great fun it is though :D

When I get some money I might even get a 4.2L stroker / super pack for it - then it really will fly xD

I guess your right. ahh I dunno, there's too many choices!! ha

There is a basic critera- manual, fairly quick, easy on the eye, 7,500$$ max and RWD preferably.

yeah one of best things about those cars, there is no shortage of parts!!

yeh i dont find that it uses too much petrol. the alternative is to get a falcon and put it on gas which amounts to same cost as a corolla on petrol. But you have to remember that you will have more money by then providing you have a job and dont waste too much money.

When i was your age, i really wanted to buy a car but i thought i would only get something like a sigma, so i was looking for sigma's but i never got one, i waited until i was 18 so i could afford a better car, and i suggest you do the same as you will get a car that wont be a headache, as my magna was. my second car was a million times better.

I would definitely go for the Golf Mk1 preferably a GTI 8v, fast and economical. And it's a very simple construction, and best of all, parts from audis, or other vw's (the same year) fits in to the car and are not very hard to find. Srry for bad English:D and if you are planning to "pimp" the car with some new rims remember to follow this chart http://www.empire.co.za/jpg/HCwheelchart.jpg (don't know how to post pics) Good luck!