We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

New processor

Beav

Hello. Currently I have a AMD Athlon x2 E4400 processor and I brought GTA IV and it lagged. Im into computer gaming and would like to get a quad core. Im going to put £10 a week away for a new processor and a new PSU as I have a 9800GT GPU and a 355W PSU so ile defo need a new PSU when I get a new CPU.

Could anyone recommend a good processor for £100?

Aparently my CPU wont be enough to run NFS:SHIFT and I wanted it this week =[

~Thanks

Don't forget DK, if you want an Intel processor, you need to buy a new motherboard as Socket AM2/AM3 are incompatible with Intel's Socket LGA775's.

If I were you, I'd stick with AMD (why am I saying this XD) primarily because wiring up a new motherboard is a tedious task which takes ages if you don't know what you're doing.

Also, as for a new processor, I would follow Mellors and get a Phenom II Black. Intensely fast, which means you won't feel like upgrading next year when the Next Generation games come out.

If you want intel, then I'd recommend the Q6600 Quad Core. They OC to 3.0 Ghz stably and they're reletively cheap compared to the more powerful models.

You could get that, yeah. But you WILL need a PSU upgrade. IIRC you have a 9600GT now, yeah? 125w (Processor) + 110ishw for the 9600GT = 235w. You'd have 100w for all of your PCI slots, powering the motherboard, USB devices, lights, fans and so on... I would recommend a 450w PSU for that setup.

Yeah will do bud. £50 be ok for the PSU and then say £100 for the processor :) I will put £20 a week away from my college cash which is £30 a week. Should have it all soon enough then.

Grrr, looks like ile need a new PSU/CPU first because I get NFS:SHIFT as aparently my current CPU will have trouble running it :S

*AMD Athlon x2 E4400+*

Do not buy anything you. You must be confused. I searched for your motherboard and found that it is an Intel motherboard. This means that you do not have an AMD CPU as it would be impossible.

So go onto your control panel, then to system and security then system. It should tell you what CPU you have there. Just copy and paste it here.

You have a small typo in the motherboard model, it led me to the wrong one lol. You can run some AM2+ CPUs on that motherboard. And I recommend against getting an old Phenom CPU. But the only AM2+ CPUs you can have on that motherboard are the Phenom II 920 and 940 which cost around £150.

And to be honest, that motherboard isn't a great one if you want to upgrade the CPU on it.

My best advice would be to save up for a while and get either an AM2+ or cheap AM3 motherboard. And do the motherboard, CPU and PSU upgrade at the same time.

I justfound this Mellors...

"AMD confirmed that AM2 processors will work in AM2+ motherboards and AM2+ processors will work on AM2 motherboards."

http://www.coderetard.com/2008/06/06/am2-vs-am2-will-am2-cpus-fit-in-am2-sockets/

I think after all this it may be easier to use my xbox for gaming and keep the pc for mmorpg's/Rpg style games. Just save up for a pc chair now and some xbox games. Afterall I have the 9800Gt GPU and I get a great picture/gameplay with TDU :D

I justfound this Mellors...

"AMD confirmed that AM2 processors will work in AM2+ motherboards and AM2+ processors will work on AM2 motherboards."

http://www.coderetard.com/2008/06/06/am2-vs-am2-will-am2-cpus-fit-in-am2-sockets/

I think after all this it may be easier to use my xbox for gaming and keep the pc for mmorpg's/Rpg style games. Just save up for a pc chair now and some xbox games. Afterall I have the 9800Gt GPU and I get a great picture/gameplay with TDU :D

It also depends on support from the motherboard manufacturer. The 9950 is rated at 140W and only higher end motherboards can cope with that. My motherboard cost £140 and is rated for 140W+. So basically, your motherboard doesn't support that as only ones after 2008 do, or very expensive pre 2008.

It also depends on support from the motherboard manufacturer. The 9950 is rated at 140W and only higher end motherboards can cope with that. My motherboard cost £140 and is rated for 140W+. So basically, your motherboard doesn't support that as only ones after 2008 do, or very expensive pre 2008.

Ahhh k, thanks bud. Xbox360 it is for now then ;[ Even though I will play RPG games on PC

Was it the same person that told you that your current CPU isn't good enough for NFS and that a 9950 would work on your motherboard? If so, disregard anything they tell you. As the recommended CPU requirement for NFS:Shift is an Athlon X2 @2Ghz and you have an Athlon X2 @ 2.2Ghz. :rolleyes:

1) I don't think you need to upgrade your CPU. GTA IV lags on PC because it's poorly optimized. If your world revolves around GTA IV then okay, worth considering upgrading (or better, just buy it on console), but don't use it as a measure for how other games will perform.

NFS:Shift on the other hand will run fine on your current CPU and graphics card.

2) If you did need to upgrade then I'd consider a Phenom II chip - not Phenom (I). Phenom IIs are actually quite good chips for the money. You can use an AM2 or AM3 processor in your motherboard, but check before using the highest powered ones like the 125W designated ones.

3) If you did need to upgrade mk 2 then I'd consider a graphics card update rather than a CPU update, and then you might need a new PSU.

4) Read point 1 again - it's the most important one :p

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...