We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

What F40 sound is this?

matt1314

Actually, that's the one I made. I use that exact same mod. I ripped those sounds from the Lister Storm in GTR2. My modding website went down (it was on GeoCities and GeoCities closed), so I'll reupload that once I get a chance.

When I made it, it was actually intended to be temporary, but I liked it so much that I stuck with it and posted it.

Dang, I'm gonna have to post a thread for all of my older sound mods >_> (it's from April 2008)

Thanks for your reply, RedCarDriver. And thanks for uploading the sound. Actually, it's not exactly the one in the video, because the supercharger whine is different. In the uploaded sound, there's the standard whine sound like from the McLaren F1 GTR, but in Djey's video it sounds like a whistle. Maybe you have that version, too...

You're using the mod on the F40, right? If so, and if you haven't made the F40 N/A (no turbo) with Djey's mod tool, then the turbocharger sound should be there. That's the standard turbocharger noise that's completely separate from the actual engine sound, because I never added in an extra turbo sound on top of that.

Go into DJey's mod tool 1.11, if you have it, and change the car you have the sound mod on to Turbo under Physics Settings. That should fix it.

Must be a replacement turbo whine sound. There were a couple of those floating around a year or so ago, around when I had originally released the F40 sound. The turbo whine sound is in Common.bnk and can be replaced pretty easily, if you have a replacement.

In the meantime, I can't think of any mods for that right now which are still available. If I find one, I'll tell you.

EDIT: Here is one - http://forum.turboduck.net/showthread.php?t=3757

This is probably the one in the video. If it's the one I had seen earlier, it makes the turbo noise way louder. You need the turbo2.wav file in the common.bnk in one of those archives. Warning: this will affect all of your turbocharged cars.

I'm not sure, if it's that mod you pointed to me, because in the preview video I don't hear that whistling supercharger sound (that "pffffff") as in Djey's video in the 2nd gear. But I'll give it a check as soon as the download link is updated. And the sound file which e.g. the F40 uses for the supercharger whine is not "Turbo_2.wav", it's "trans_whine_ultrasport.wav".

It uses both. Transwhine_something plays continuously and is most audible during interior view, while turbo2 "spools up" like a real turbocharger.

If you don't want the gear-shift-down sounds but just the replacement turbo whine, unzip the replacement Common.bnk using Djey's mod tools and extract only the turbo2.wav, then put your old common.bnk back in (make sure you still have it backed up), and import it.

Meh. At this point I may as well make a new replacement turbo whine.

I'll start working on it. Expect it to be posted in around a week or two.

EDIT (12/01/2009): Gah, I don't think I'm going to have this done real soon. I'm pretty much swamped this week, and it's going to take me a while to find a source sound. I'll start working on it, but don't expect it right away. Sorry. I'll post it once it's finished. :)