We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Is my graphics card on the way out?

me™

Quite worried here, been getting some strange behaviour from the graphics card (at least that's what I think it is) lately.

It's an Inno3D GeForce 8800GT 512mb OC in case you ask.

Basically, whenever I go into a game, the graphics go all distorted, sometimes insane acid colours too, then after a few seconds, I get bluescreen, then have to reboot the whole system.

What I mean by 'into a game' is past the main menu and the loading screen, and at the point where the card has to render 3D objects, i.e. the point at which you can play the game.

Everything is perfectly fine while just in Windows or surfing the net or even in the menus of games.

It only started doing this last night. I've since done an entire scan of the computer for viruses (no hits) and updated the drivers for the card, and even removed a couple of filler panels from the back of the case to improve airflow, all to no avail.

I'm pretty sure the card is not overheating, as the fan is still running, and varying speed according to load. Hell, after I restart I can sit in windows doing whatever I want for as long as I want. It's the 3D rendering of games that seems to be the trigger for the catastrohic lock-up. I suspect a corrupt driver perhaps.

Rather worried, help?! :(

First off, do you have the latest Nvidia drivers? If not, uninstall the Nvidia graphics drivers in the control panel. (might have to be in safe mode) Then install the most recent drivers from here.

If a possibility, put your graphics card into another computer or ask a friend to see if they will do it for you.

When things like that happen, it usually is a faulty component on the card itself, but not always.

If it does turn out to be the card, you could always try and get a replacement from where you got it from or Inno3D themselves. just because it is out of warranty doesn't mean they can;t replace it for free. If it has lasted under 3 or 5 years, it can be deemed unfit for purpose so they will have to replace it for you free of charge.

That's a possibility, but could take a while and possibly be a pain in the you-know-where. Time may be of the essence if it is the card, as I don't really want a repeat of reaper's incident.

Just checked my online banking, turns out I have considerably more money than I thought I had. About time I had an upgrade anyway, this card is probably about 2-3 years old by now, so I'm considering an order on a 1GB Asus GTS250 Dark Knight: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/1GB-Asus-GTS-250-Dark-Knight-2008MHz-GDDR3-GPU-740MHz-Shader-1836MHz-128-Cores

Oh gawd, hearing suspicious noises from the computer...

EDIT AGAIN: Sod it, I just ordered that card, looks good for the money, and an upgrade would be nice anyway. I suspected the old card was on the way out anyway. Probably gonna turn off the computer until the new card arrives on thursday.

I wouldn't recommend the 1GB version for gaming on a resolution lower than 1920x1200 as most of it will go unused and it can actually slow it down slightly as it needs to fill all the RAM.

If I were you, I'd go for this GTS250. It has 512MB GDDR3 memory and the memory runs at a higher clockrate. The shipping should also be free so in total should be just as good for £20 less.

But that's just what I'd do. It's upto you in the end. :)

Hope I've helped.

I wouldn't recommend the 1GB version for gaming on a resolution lower than 1920x1200 as most of it will go unused and it can actually slow it down slightly as it needs to fill all the RAM.

If I were you, I'd go for this GTS250. It has 512MB GDDR3 memory and the memory runs at a higher clockrate. The shipping should also be free so in total should be just as good for £20 less.

But that's just what I'd do. It's upto you in the end. :)

Hope I've helped.

Balls, didn't have the computer running when you posted that. Got the 1GB card installed and running now. Ah well.

One question, this thing uses an SPDIF cable (which I have plugged in and set up) but what the hell does that do? lol :oook: Never come across one before.

Also, if this needs to use all the ram, I'll just completely max out all my games then :lol:

Balls, didn't have the computer running when you posted that. Got the 1GB card installed and running now. Ah well.

One question, this thing uses an SPDIF cable (which I have plugged in and set up) but what the hell does that do? lol :oook: Never come across one before.

Also, if this needs to use all the ram, I'll just completely max out all my games then :lol:

The SPDIF cable allows audio signals to be sent through your graphics card down the DVI/HDMI cable to your monitor. Useless if your monitor uses VGA though.

I need one but I lost mine. Lol

Yeah, I thought it was some sort of audio lead. Well, my monitor has no speakers built in anyway, lol. Running it on DVI leads though, wooo. Technically, 1680x1050 is better than 1080p HD, I think...

I was discussing this with a colleague of mine yesterday anyway. Two guys working in a bike shop who are also both total petrolheads and general technical geeks, rather fun!

I can max out this card btw, if I turn up all the settings in GTA IV. :lol: