We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Best Gaming Graphics Card Under $100?

killalldude

Hey guys, unfortunatly my graphics card died on me this morning. I need some suggestions on what to buy, as graphics cards is something I suck at buying. I really don't want to go over $100. I want something better than my 512mb XFX 9800GT. I don't really need something that can run games like Crysis at maximum settings. I'm looking at getting something that will play TDU2 and GTA:4 at high-medium settings. It would be nice if it were something that doesn't become useless after 1-2 years. I don't have any preferances between nVidia or ATI.

E: I forgot to mention that I play a modded TS3, and my current card lags when I add lots of mods to TS3.

I have a 19" monitor, the resolution is 1360x768

I'm currently looking at:

ATI Radeon HD 4870

ATI Radeon HD 5750

ATI Radeon HD 5770

Was looking at:

nVidia Geforce 9600GT

nVidia GTS 250

ATI Radeon HD 4670

ATI Radeon HD 4850

ATI Radeon HD 5670

Should I get something with 1GB video ram, or is 512mb fine?

Decided on 1gb

Any help is appreciated :D

512 is fine, but 1 Go is better

ATI Radeon HD 4850 and HD 5670 are the best choice...

Let you know something:

- ATI is the best to have powerful graphic cards with less money.

- NEVER LISTEN EVERYBODY WHO SAYS NVIDIA: they generally doesn't know anything about computers... we calls that: noobs...

- You can see in Internet some tips about that, NVidia are actually on bad hands...

- NEVER LISTEN EVERYBODY WHO SAYS NVIDIA: they generally doesn't know anything about computers... we calls that: noobs...

- You can see in Internet some tips about that, NVidia are actually on bad hands...

That's a little biased, don't you think? I've never had a bad experience with Nvidia but that doesn't mean I assume all aTi cards are bad.

I'd go for whatever you can afford but I have a XFX 9600GT (Factory Overclocked) and it seems to run stuff fine. It wouldn't be an improvement over your old card though so you can probably get something better. Look at some of the newer aTi cards as you might end up getting more for your money.

The HD 5670 is DirectX 11 compatible and is aimed at the $100 market, but you'll get a slightly better performance with the HD 4850 which is around the same price. There are no doubt people more knowledgeable than me when it comes to computer hardware but bear that in mind :)

512 is fine, but 1 Go is better

ATI Radeon HD 4850 and HD 5670 are the best choice...

Let you know something:

- ATI is the best to have powerful graphic cards with less money.

This is what you call and ATI fanboy. Both manufacturers have their strengths and weaknesses.

ATI are generally a lot better value for money than Nvidia and they are the best choice for systems with a set budget, but Nvidia do have the most powerful graphics cards if you're willing to part with £400, which you aren't so I won't talk about them.

As to the 512MB or 1GB, it depends on what screen resolution and AA level you will be playing games at. If you play at anything less than 1920x1080 then go for the 512MB as in most games this will offer better performance than 1GB cards. If you play at a screen resolution of 1920x1080 or higher, you're best off going with 1GB+ cards.

The 5670 card isn't too great for the price, it is outperformed by the GTS250 and 4850 which are both just about equal in performance. I'd say go for the 4850 or maybe a 4870 if you can afford to spend a little bit extra purely because it uses less power and runs cooler.

The problem with GTS250 is the temperature and the watts ( corect me if im wrong) however is a good video card is lik to have a HD5750

The 9600GT is not bad, low price and good performance, though is quite old. ( now that i check, this one is slower than your GFX!)

ATI Radeon HD 4670: a friend of mine got this one, is good prformance, it doesnt heat, and low consumption and is for run games on low and medium quality. Like the 9600GT ( this one is slower than your GFX!)

ATI Radeon HD 4850 is a good video card, med/high performance if you like this one try to get more money and go for a 4870 that is better than a 5750.

ATI Radeon HD 5670 is quite good, a new gfx and supports DX11 but is slower than the 4850.

remeber that these video cards ( except from 5670) dont support DX11...

and the GTS250 supports Physx

In my opinion I will be between these:

GTS 250 ( if you have a good power suply and low temperature computer case)

HD4870 ( will be better if you can get a bit more of money)

As to the 512MB or 1GB, it depends on what screen resolution and AA level you will be playing games at. If you play at anything less than 1920x1080 then go for the 512MB as in most games this will offer better performance than 1GB cards. If you play at a screen resolution of 1920x1080 or higher, you're best off going with 1GB+ cards.

My last post should help.

Hey guys, unfortunatly my graphics card died on me this morning. I need some suggestions on what to buy, as graphics cards is something I suck at buying. I really don't want to go over $100. I want something better than my 512mb XFX 9800GT. I don't really need something that can run games like Crysis at maximum settings. I'm looking at getting something that will play TDU2 and GTA:4 at high-medium settings. It would be nice if it were something that doesn't become useless after 1-2 years. I don't have any preferances between nVidia or ATI.

E: I forgot to mention that I play a modded TS3, and my current card lags when I add lots of mods to TS3.

I have a 19" monitor, the resolution is 1360x768

I'm currently looking at:

nVidia Geforce 9600GT

nVidia GTS 250

ATI Radeon HD 4670

ATI Radeon HD 4850

ATI Radeon HD 5670

Should I get something with 1GB video ram, or is 512mb fine?

Any help is appreciated :D

Well...you already have a 9800GT and you are looking at a 9600GT? 4670? Those are weaker cards, forget them now i have used a lot of graphics cards and i used to have a 8800GT(which is the same as a 9800GT except that some 9800GT's had a die of 55nm which doesnt make any difference in performance, only less heat an higher overclock's) and i upgraded to a GTS250(which is a 9800GTX+ except that the newer 9800GTX+'s consume less power and only used one(1) 6pin power connector) and the performance boost i got wasn't that good but oh well i already knew it from the beggining i just bought the GTS250 for a computer i was going to build but i canceled it, so i used it in mine lol... anyways you are running on "low" resolution so 512MB will be fine, IMO you should wait till TDU2 comes out try it and then bump this thread :cheeky: The prices will probably be lower and you will have a bigger choice. sorry if i confused you but nVidias marketing tricks are really annoying lol!

Thanks for your help guys, I'm planning on getting the 4850 or 4870, but I still don't know whether to get 512mb or 1gb.

Oh, well 4870 512mb will do but if you want it to last longer you should give the extra 10bucks(?) for the 1gig version... maybe you upgrade the monitor or something... who knows.

After doing some more research, I'm now deciding between the 4870, 5750, and the 5770 (it's moving to sub $150 now lol). I will be getting a 1gb version no matter what card I buy (you can never go wrong with more vram, right? :)). Right now, I just don't know which is better, the 5750 or the 4870. I know that the 4870 is faster, but will I see much of a difference between the 4870 and 5750 (look at my specs)? The 4870 kicks the 5750 and 5770's butt, however from what I've read, the 5770 is a better all rounder.

E: Feel free to suggest an nVidia equivilant or better, preferably less than $150. I don't look at nVidia's that much since I find ATI's product range easier to understand (the higher the number, the better the card :D)

I have a 5750 and is a bit better than GTS250.

4870 is faster than 5750 because it has got 256 bits and 5750 128 bits and 5770 it has got the same performance than a 4870.

Remember, 5xxx series has got DX11

And the difference between 5750 and 5770 are:

- +15% of performance

- around 50 dollars more

- Overclocking the 5750 can get more performance than the 5770 ( if u dont want to spend a bit more)