We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Sounds in wav

jujunosuke

Hello all !

I am currently working on a 3D car simulation with Flash.

The engine is still at an early stage but the basics are done.

I use this tutorial as reference :

http://regedit.gamedev.pl/Mirror/Car%20Physics%20for%20Games/Car%20Physics%20for%20Games.html

I am working on the gearing part and i would like to ask for some advices.

Do you know how many samples are needed in order to get a "quite" realistic sound ?

For example in TDU, what kind of samples are needed ?

And, is it possible to have a link for some samples in a wav format ?

I would be glad to hear any advices and suggestions from experienced mod creators.

I hope i can finish a speed test demo soon and show it to you !

Thank you for your time.

tdu usually uses ignition, on low/mid/high and off low/mid/high. So most of the files would include about 7 wav files. The best thing you could do is record the sound samples from other games because you can control the throttle and have the exact pitch you want. You could use some of the editing programs to do that as well if you have the samples from lets say youtube. ( I use adobe premiere ).

Ozzmcom, thank you for taking time to reply.

I see, only 7 sounds can provide very realistic sound so.

one confirmation however,

what is exactly on & off ?

Is it the acceleration and deceleration ?

For example :

Sound for engine acceleration at 1000, 3000, 6000;

And sounds for engine deceleration at 1000, 3000, 6000; ?

Would be great if you can confirm that.

Thank you again !

Yes I confirm that, plus you have 2 more samples for the idle and startup sounds.

Though, some bnk (file where all the samples of one car are regrouped) have a different configuration, sometimes with just 6 samples in it (no low), 10 samples in it (very low added), there are some with a horn sample added and some with no idle sound in it etc. You have to use, combined with MAGIC MAP by Djey, the excellent TDU MODDING TOOLS by Djey too. With its internal browser, choose a bnk file in TDU/Euro/Bnk/sound/Vehicules so you can see, extract or replace its content (always use the TDU sound defaut format, Microsoft ADPCM 44,100 Khz 4 bits mono).

Also, keep in mind that a bnk has a maximum size of 766 Kb exactly, so stay under this fatal size ; I didn't knew that for ages and I was restarting TDU everytime the size didn't fit and that the sound went silent, which happened zillions times :((((

But hey, this is about TDU, it has one of the worst sound format you can imagine (but is ideal to learn because of its simplicity) and a much better reference for engine sounds is GT LEGENDS for example, which uses 16 bit stereo (that helps...) state of the art samples (the basics are still the same but you have more samples per car so the sound is more rich and realistic).

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Doctor G, i did it !

Only with 3 samples though.

But it is enough for the effect that i want !

It is still a work in progress but here is the link :

Car Demo 1.2

I would like to some more test with other sounds engine.

Do you have some more wavs ?

I am especially looking for any kind of skyline's sound.

Would be really helpful !

This is very nice! I'd like such a tool to test the sound mods without launching the game! :O

If you need more samples I suggest you download some sound mods for GTR, GTR2, RFACTOR and GT LEGENDS on dedicated modding sites, you can find A LOT of good stuff there (you just need to register) and they are not in a bnk like in TDU so you can read them directly from the Finder on your Mac (plus they have a better quality than in TDU)