We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Aren't You Amazed?

Gdsamp

People who don't know alot about computers buy a computer from the likes of PC World and such are most likely going to end up with an Intel based system. This is going by the last time I looked around PC World, I don't know what the situation is now. It could also be down to the fact that Intel actually advertise themselves on TV (The Discovery Channel's are filled with their "Sponsored By Intel" adverts at the moment) where as I don't think I've ever seen an AMD advert on the TV.

It's also the same with laptops on the whole. There are no-where near as many AMD based laptops as there are Intel.

Then you've got the people like most of us who know a bit about computers and recognise the pro's and con's between AMD and Intel CPUs.

I suspect if AMD were to try and get their CPUs into more pre-built desktop PCs and laptops as well as advertising a bit more then they might catch up a bit with Intel.

People who don't know alot about computers buy a computer from the likes of PC World and such are most likely going to end up with an Intel based system. This is going by the last time I looked around PC World, I don't know what the situation is now. It could also be down to the fact that Intel actually advertise themselves on TV (The Discovery Channel's are filled with their "Sponsored By Intel" adverts at the moment) where as I don't think I've ever seen an AMD advert on the TV.

It's also the same with laptops on the whole. There are no-where near as many AMD based laptops as there are Intel.

Then you've got the people like most of us who know a bit about computers and recognise the pro's and con's between AMD and Intel CPUs.

I suspect if AMD were to try and get their CPUs into more pre-built desktop PCs and laptops as well as advertising a bit more then they might catch up a bit with Intel.

AMD Don't need to advertise ;) They have there name and that stands does it for them.

Even if you hate AMD You can not disagree on saying that they for one are cheaper than the Intel equivelent.

And also as AMD made the very first processors for Intel as they didnt know how to make them.

But yes Intel is more advertised and i think thats the fact they have priced themself out the market so they have to advertise to make it stick into peoples mind that it is Intel they have to buy.

Personally i would stick with AMD as i have had 0% problems with them on my own computers and other computers i have built.

They might not need to advertise to people like us who know a bit about computers but for the people who know nothing about computers and their components who just want to go on the internet and look at emails and Facebook/Twitter I suspect they kind of look like one of those strange branded baked beans you see in a supermarket made by someone you've never heard of, so unless you're feeling adventurous you're not going to pick them.

When my mum and her partner were looking for a laptop is a case in point. I asked them to look at a laptop which had an AMD CPU and the first thing they said was "What's this AMD? Are they any good?" and I had to spend 10 more minutes in PC World than I would've liked explaining things about AMD. They still got an Intel CPU based laptop in the end.

My care meter just bottomed out.

So many people have merely Core2 systems because believe it or not, it's all they actually need. Should I ever build a "rig" I'd likely go for what gave me the most bang for my buck. So I'd end up being AMD, or end up being Intel but surround by a load of crap components because I ran out of money.

But my laziness will likely always prevail, so I'm not worrying too much about this dilemma.

When I was looking for parts I found the AMD naming convention too confusing. There's no way of knowing how good an AMD CPU is unless you get a benchmark chart. Intel used to be better with their naming as well, but I am able to follow it.

The Core2 range is over a year old now anyway - the current ones are the i5's and i7's. (i3's aren't really for gaming). Pick the highest number for the best and drop down a few until you've got one you can afford.

• 3 weeks later...

It's all about what the end user wants. Bit more performance for a bit more money, or rather the fact that Intel are a bigger name than AMD (Because of the Advertisments) Intel have more business links with other companies, and that's why they're so mainstream. AMD are just getting into pre-build desktops now. On my voyage around PC world on saturday, there were loads of Intel desktops, and only a single AMD desktop (Which was in a rather gorgeous case, I might add)

AMD are cheaper, Intel are more known and can therefore charge that little bit more.

Currys/PCWorld Take preference on laptos the same with many of our competitors. Our repair center in Newark are set to fix Intel Laptops/PC's If a laptop has an AMD it has to be sent away. AMD is also not always cheaper as Intel runs faster at the same speeds (eg 2.1GHz AMD = 2.6GHz Intel)

I'll also add that the only AMD PC's we sell are prebuilt gaming computers.

/Thread

When I was looking for parts I found the AMD naming convention too confusing. There's no way of knowing how good an AMD CPU is unless you get a benchmark chart. Intel used to be better with their naming as well, but I am able to follow it.

I feel the exact opposite way.

When I got my new PC together a few months ago I went with AMD because 1) we had it in the old one and I never had any problems with that, and 2) because Intel wasn't "a little" bit more expensive. There didn't seem to be an upper limit on how much they could actually cost.