We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Start up Problem

T0M722

Hey. This isn't really a worry for me but I got this laptop half a year ago and it's been working fine. This issue doesn't really bother me apart from the time consuming checks it does.

Not all the time, but sometimes (1 out of every 4-5 startups) it goes to this screen and takes around 5-7minutes of checking the disks or something. This is a noob problem I know but I have no idea what it could be :P Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2uqzqbt.jpg

This may be a stupid question but when you shut off your computer, do you hit Start>Shut Down or do you just press and hold the power button? And do you move your laptop around a lot or let it sort of 'drop' onto a desk or wherever you keep it?

I'm guessing the computer does this because it's either scheduled to do this every so often or for some reason the computer thinks the disk is corrupted, which it may be if it takes a lot of shock.

Nah I powwerrrrr it off like normal with Start>Shut Down. But maybe you're right about the shocking. I don't shock it because it usually stays on my desk all the time. And Mellors, it's ok to cancel it? Because I don't want to corrupt any of my crap...

Its when a power disruption occurs mostly.

It's designed to check over the file structure of the hard drive to ensure that all the system files are contiguous. As others have said, it's perfectly safe (and healthy) for your laptop to perform these checks.

Only start worrying when it finds errors.