We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Djey's TDU2 Preview Extravaganza!

Eudemon

part2's 1of 2

I did'nt have much time as I have to work too, but here is the beginning of the second part of the translated interview. Better than nothing, but the rest of the text is interview with Alain jarniou from EDEN

3 :15 : On to the free runs! Everyone chooses a console, and as surprising as it can be for those who know me well, I went for the PS3 first.

PS3

You had to be quick to be able to grab one of those Sony pads. I patiently waited for my turn as I could watch 3 screens displaying the game to fellow testers, just enough time to see a new solo mode which consists of riding at least at the displayed speed (kind of like the Speed movie without bombs and Sandra bullock – hopefully) No explosion, but gain in points.

My turn at last!

So, on the Sony console, I manage to get the tarmac license with the Lancia Delta at the ‘’Classic racing School’’ driving school for classic cars. The avatar is sitting in the car with an instructor, who’s reacting to our every good or bad move. (By the way, about the Lancia, the rpm needle bug was corrected; it now turns in the right way.)

What are we asked to do in those tests? Do slalom, brake accurately to stop in the right spot, follow a line in turns, and learn the best way to pass a car. I also had the chance to drive the Lotus Esprit S1 on an open road, and that thing is a real delight.

After that, looking at the map, I found a new type of solo mission: In a photographer’s loft, you are asked to take several pictures of different sceneries and cars with different needs in weather condition and time of day. This gives of course cash and discovery points. There is a special reward for the best picture hunters, those who collect all the photos.

Let’s go for a quick drive to the ‘’Community Racing Center’’, which can be seen from far with its laser lights casting high. This place is replacing the drive-ins in the first TDU, in the way that all the shared challenges of the online community will be identified here.

XBOX

Now with Microsoft’s. This gave me the opportunity to try several multiplayer ‘’follow the leader’’, ‘’keep your distances’’, and ‘’radar’’.

Because we all heard about the two first more than once now, I’ll concentrate on the radar type. I had a really good time as I was playing against a real person in front of me, a girl with whom I have laugh a lot during those races.

Hem,...Ok, back to the radar. Just like in the first TDU, radars are placed along the road and the objective is that you have to get caught by them at the fastest speed, no matter in which order you trigger them.

PC

No wheel for the test, all done on the Xbox pad.

I did an approximate 15 miles with the GPS guiding me on and off the road in a Nissan GTR. Even with all driving helps on, the four-wheel ride was good enough to keep me from counting those miles, or those frightened civilians passed-by.

That was only the first part, as the GPS was in fact leading me to Ibiza’s airport, where I got on the first plane to... Oahu!

After a cut scene including the solo game’s main characters, surprise: we land on the airfield NW of the island!

And Hawaii, how was it?

I knew you would ask me this! Sixth sense of some sort...

I did not spend a lot of time there, but enough to say that both islands really present different identities: by nature, facilities, light... the roads are the same, except that they now are a lot less chaotic than before, good! It is the offroad than brings new stuff in Oahu: gigantic deserted places where only some of us had gone by driving hours on dangerous terrain now have roads, endless offroad trails which have a lot to offer.

next: console compare and interview with Alain Jarniou from EDEN games