We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

TDU franchise, how is it viewed by gaming world?

oshaylinux

TDU franchise being treated...  

12 members have voted

1. 1. TDU franchise being treated...

• Fairly
    • Not Fairly
    • I really have't thought about it
    • I dont care

I feel like the TDU franchise is not being treated "Fairly" by the gaming world like Forza, Need for Speed & Shift, Codemasters racers, and Grand Torismo Motor Sport. I was very hesitant to buy TDU, because of the negative and lack of info on it. After I bought TDU, two years after its release and for $20. I found it hard to believe a good this good and massage in scope and variety was not receiving the same welcome as those above. TDU itself, has outlasted most racing that got so much press.

It does not seem like Atari put the same advertising dollars in it that those other companies due, but can advertisement really make that big of a difference to those "legit" gaming editors?

So what do you all think, TDU franchise being treated: Fairly, Not Fairly, I really have not thought about it I dont care.

TDU1 had good ads at the time, won awards, etc (see the boxart for examples). TDU2 was incomplete at last years E3 compared to most other racing games and is still a bit of a joke. Not the worst car game I've played (NFS Undercover, World, and likely The Run - pretty much all the Black Box titles besides MW and Carbon).

• 4 weeks later...

To be honest, I only got the first TDU because I was trying to find some more racing games after getting bored with the NFS titles (and not really being that into sims). I found it on the bargain rack at a local mom & pop game shop and thought why not give it a try. I only remember seeing maybe two or three commercials before it's release and since it was large burly men talking with the voices of 8 year olds, I really didn't think the game was going to be that good. Gladly I was proven wrong, and promptly pre-ordered TDU2 when it was announced. The TDU franchise has really been a bit of an under-the-radar type of game with only the fans really following it. The friends that I have that know about it only know because I told them about it, but laugh at how many of the same cars are in the second installment. We actually joke about how when Atari/Eden asked "What cars would you like to see in TDU2?" and got the response "Veyrons, Veyrons, Veyrons!" they didn't realize that the response was just enthusiastic, not that they wanted multiple Veyrons. I think that's kind of what set the mood for how the rest of the gaming community looks at it. When they say "What's the car list look like?" and see that there are multiple versions of the same car, all you can think about is how much the dev team likes one car as opposed to how the game might actually be.