We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

CPU Over-Temperature Error!

ScoobSTi

Ever since summer began, I started to game a bit more on my PC. School's out so I have more time to play. However, now, whenever I play certain games, the framerate drops massively and some of my fans go crazy. Eventually during a game, my computer will crash. If I reboot, I will get an error from the BIOS saying "CPU Over-Temperature! Press F1 to resume". This has never happened to me before, and my CPU is only a year old. Does anyone know why this might be happening?

So far, this error occurs after Bad Company 2 multiplayer crashes. Single player works fine and doesn't crash. Framerates drop a lot in some games, even TDU2. :eek:

Specs:

- Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz

- nVidia 9800 GT 512 MB

- 4GB RAM DDR2

- Asus P6T mobo

Reseat the CPU cooler. Clean the paste off the CPU and cooler and apply more paste onto the CPU, make sure it covers the entire area of the chip with a thin layer.

May also be worth looking into getting a better cooler for it.

lol still have the stock heatskin of mah cpu layin around since i built the pc...

Never bothered with it really, i overclocked it a bit, plus ,even if i didnt wanna overclock, the temps are much lower with an aftermarket cooler.

I've the cooler master V6 GT

cons of it:

Size, need my case's side panel open

Noise, too noisy, specially with side panel open

price

pros:

great cooling!!

I've found a crapload of dust covering the cooler. Basically the fan was like a snowplow, just smoothening out the dust and not doing anything else. Fortunately I've managed to clean it out. Unfortunately, during some games, the computer will crash and I will still hear a buzzing noise from the speakers. :confused:

I'm going to try to reapply the paste on the weekend, if I can.

Btw, this is what my stock heatsink looks like.

• 3 weeks later...