We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview (Beta) Discussion

Ryzza5

I'm getting used to it now. I like the free train game that you get.

They've also added software RAID which is good for those who don't know ho to or can't set it up in their motherboard.

It's so much quicker to get to the programs or menus that you want now too. Just press the Windows key and type the thing you want. Or just pin it to the taskbar or start screen like Win7.

• 1 month later...

Installed it on an old laptop at work and so far the only thing I'm impressed with is the startup time. 8.5 seconds on a 5 year old netbook. You have to drag the lock screen up like you would on a phone which is annoying though

Within 10 minutes of use I'm already searching for apps though:

Windows8 StartMenu

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

We are seeing good momentum with Windows 8 today. When upgrading from Windows 7, Windows 8 has a lot to offer including a beautiful rubbish new Start screen with live tiles, plus the familiar desktop and faster startup and longer battery life. Today I’d like to share the pricing details for the Windows 8 upgrade editions that will begin in February. I’d also remind you to take advantage of the great upgrade offer which lasts until January 31st 2013.

Windows 8 upgrade editions will be priced as follows starting in February:

The Windows 8 Pro upgrade edition will be available online and at retail for $199.99 MSRP (U.S.).

The Windows 8 upgrade edition will be available online and at retail for $119.99 MSRP (U.S.).

The Windows 8 Pro Pack will cost $99.99 MSRP (U.S.).

The Windows 8 Media Center Pack will cost $9.99 MSRP (U.S.).

But we have our promotional offer available until January 31st 2013, you can upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for just $39.99 ERP* (U.S.) via Windows.com using the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant or pick up a DVD copy at a local retailer for just $69.99 ERP* (U.S.). If you bought an eligible Windows 7 PC between June 2nd and January 31st, 2013 – be sure to register for the Windows Upgrade Offer and upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for only $14.99 ERP*** (U.S.). If you upgrade to the Windows 8 edition or buy a PC with the Windows 8 edition pre-installed and want to move to the Windows 8 Pro edition– you can purchase the Windows 8 Pro Pack (previously known as Windows Anytime Upgrade) directly within Windows 8 by going to the Start screen and typing “Add Features to Windows 8” and at participating retailers for $69.99 MSRP (U.S.) until January 31st. If are running Windows 8 Pro and want Windows Media Center and DVD playback, you can add the Windows 8 Media Center Pack for free until January 31st**.

If you are building your own PC from scratch, looking to run Windows 8 in a Virtual Machine (VM), or looking to run Windows 8 on a second hard drive partition – you will want to purchase the Windows 8 edition or Windows 8 Pro edition OEM product known as “System Builder”. You can find these products online at local retailers.

Still cheaper than Windows 7 pricing when it was available. Good on them for rewarding early adopters (all the computer geeks who will then be more inclined to recommend it to others).

Only problem I face is that I have a key that I need to activate before Feb and don't really have anywhere to install it yet, as my HTPC/server is always doing stuff and don't want to turn it off.