We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Bought on steam, updater thing not working

So, I know the whole policy on pirate talk and that, BUT I'm hoping this is aloud as I'm no longer a pirate. Or something.

So, I refused for a while to pay for TDU2, and instead downloaded a pirate copy (I'm sure you understand). But now I've decided to buy it. I got it through steam and when I launch it it chucks out error #01, "An error occurred while downloading files." Any ideas on what may be causing it? I've uninstalled the crap version, deleted user files, all that stuff. Think it may be the registry, but not sure what to check for in there...

Just uninstalled, deleted the whole TDU2 folder from there, and reinstalled. No luck >_<

EDIT: Just to add a bit, validated the file integrity via Steam, all checked out... Really have no idea what's gone wrong now, driving me insane though.

Once again, no banzorz pl0x.

Did you bother deleting the registry keys like I mentioned?

Still waiting for a response from Steam support, but contacted Atari support. My GOD these people are daft.

(Read from bottom up)

As it says in the title, Error #01, "Could not download files"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 20:16:37 -0700

Subject: [#YWN-174-55655]: Error #01, Purchased Via Steam

To: [email protected]

Greetings ,

We currently lack the information to get an accurate picture of the issue you discuss in your ticket. Please edit this ticket and include as much information as you can, so that we can do our best to resolve your issue.

What error are you getting.?

Sincerely,

Atari Customer Support

Atari

------------------------

It has nothing to do with drivers, it's a launcher/server issue. Is there any way I could manually update the game?

-------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 19:49:35 -0700

Subject: [#YWN-174-55655]: Error #01, Purchased Via Steam

To: [email protected]

Hello,

Thank you for contacting customer support,

Have you tried to update your video card and direct x?

Sincerely,

Atari Customer Support

Atari

Yeah, and now he's just copy pasting the post about opening ports from the bloody forum. I already mentioned in the ticket that the ports were open and uPnP was set. Oh, and he didn't even copy paste properly, only copied from the regular post, not from a quote screen, so the links are broken >_>

Test Drive Unlimited 2 uses the TCP/UDP port 8889 to communicate with servers and others players.

Solution1: Turn on UPnP on your network hardware

Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) is a standard that helps routers communicate effectively. If your router or gateway supports UPnP, make sure this setting is turned on.

Please refer to your hardware documentation for help turning on UPnP. Most hardware manufacturers have Web sites that include support information.

If you change the UPnP setting on your network hardware, restart your hardware and test your network connection by re-launching the UpLauncher.

If you receive a NAT Open:UPnPUsed message, your network is ready for playing TDU2.

If you still receive a NAT warning (orange or red), please try the next solution.

Solution2: Open network ports

Your network hardware or firewall might be blocking communication with the Xbox LIVE servers.

If you're connected to a network through your workplace or a college, ask the network administrator to open the following port:

TCP/UDP 8889 (TDU2 game port)

TCP/UDP 3478 (UpLauncher STUN tests port)

Part1:To get your computer’s IP settings

On your computer, click Start, type cmd, and then press ENTER. Note If you’re using Windows XP, click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.

At the prompt, type ipconfig, and then press ENTER.

Find your network connection (for example, look for something called "Local Area Connection" or "Wireless Network Connection"). Write down the numbers for the following items:

IPv4 address (or IP address)

Subnet mask

Default gateway

http://forums.testdriveunlimited2.co...1&d=1286373279

Now let’s set your PC’s IP settings.

Part2: Open ports on your router or gateway

Now let’s open ports on your router or gateway, so that your network hardware can communicate with the TDU2 servers (this is also called "port forwarding").

Open the TCP/UDP port 8889 with the IP address found in the previous step.

Please, refer to the router manufacturer for help with opening network ports.

Sincerely,

Atari Customer Support

Atari

---------------------------------

Tip: Login to Atari and click on Support link in the footer to access your Ticket History from the website.

Ticket Details

Ticket ID: YWN-174-55655

Department: Game Play

Type: Question

Steam support got back aswell, just said to update DX drivers and VC++, etc. and restart PC, if that fails contact Atari >_<

EDIT: I'VE GOTTEN IT WORKING!

Used some sort of 3rd party search tool to search entire PC for and instance of TDU2/test drive unlimited 2/atari, and it found steam files, TDU1, and the hosts file in System32, so I looked in the hosts file and found out that the TDU2 patch server was being redirected to the home IP (127.0.0.1). Deleted the entry, et viola. She works. So far. Updating anyways.

Also replied to Atari again.

"It won't let me sign in to the Atari site to close the support ticket, but I've gotten it working, no thanks to your copy/pasting. If you could close the ticket, that'd be great, thanks for nothing." Maybe they'll learn eventually.