We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Chris Harris on Cars - Porsche 918 Spyder, Ferrari LaFerrari & McLaren P1 "Celebration"

The Compensator

[headline]Chris Harris on Cars - The Holy Trinity![/headline]

chrisharrisoncars-p1-laferrari-918_20151119.jpg

After what felt an entire decade, the three manufacturers came to an agreement and lent their hypercars for a fair track test. Chris Harris and his boys did an absolutely brilliant video. Just sit and enjoy. :bow:

And then come here and tell us what you think about it and maybe how much your opinion has changed since the introduction of the three hypercars. :p

Personally, I just admire the engineering and the work that is behind these machines, and they show that progress is a good thing. Tons of electronic nannies, batteries, etc., and yet they made me smile even watching them on youtube.

Agreed, it may have been wiser to put that stuff in a separate video for the car geeks so that the target family audience could enjoy just the second half. Simple editing but it was a joy to watch. My respect for the Ferrari went up a notch when I saw how lively yet controllable it was over those crested corners. But the P1 went back up to the top of the list. Struggled to believe how similar the lap times were (and don't really care about the order of the results). Also very impressed at CH's abilities.

Agreed, it may have been wiser to put that stuff in a separate video for the car geeks so that the target family audience could enjoy just the second half. Simple editing but it was a joy to watch. My respect for the Ferrari went up a notch when I saw how lively yet controllable it was over those crested corners. But the P1 went back up to the top of the list. Struggled to believe how similar the lap times were (and don't really care about the order of the results). Also very impressed at CH's abilities.

Indeed, although how amazing is it that the [spoil]P1 was able to knock seconds off the lap time when it was in race mode (or whatever you call it)? I thought it would only make a small difference to the time[/spoil] but clearly not. Amazing machine. I'm also surprised at Tiff's choice of vehicle, I thought he'd want the [spoil]McLaren![/spoil]

[admin edit:] *moved to its own thread*

I started watching this in the early hours of this morning and I could not stop even though it was close to 4am. The presenting style is on a level where it's pure car guys talking about cars except these guys can also drive the hell out of them and puts what they are experiencing over better than most. I guess you lose this with Top Gear due to The Stig not talking but with these guys it was incredible to see them thrashing these cars so hard and the enjoyment and thrills they were feeling being pushed over to us as viewers.

The banter and jokes were great too, they all are very competent and hearing the way they talked about each car having to ideally come as a set as each offers something the others doesn't was both funny and very interesting as it is what you hear many say, but with these guys you could actually see how and why this was the case.

The camerawork and slo-mo sections were beautiful, sublime even. However I wished we saw more trackside shots of when the three were out on the track having fun. :D

I won't spoil the video for those who haven't watched it and will put my thoughts about other aspects in spoil tags.

[spoil]I wish Harris took the 918 during the "race". He seemed to get the tail out and slide the Porsche more in what you could see when he had it out while doing the lap times earlier on. In saying this though it was brilliant to see Tiff doing what he does best and it was so good watching him an Harris duo-drift the LaFerrari and P1 out of the turns when they were just aiming in having fun and not seriously racing.

And oh yeah, did anyone else slightly cringe when the P1 kept bottoming out and sending sparks flying at that same section? I know I did, but then seeing the car is the test/press car I don't think he was too bothered about doing that.[/spoil]