We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Zephyr dubbed 360 Elite (basically a black 360)

Eudemon

Source: http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/03/20/zephyr-dubbed-360-elite-new-details/

black_xbox360.jpg

With the revelation that the black Xbox 360, also known as "Zephyr" is in fact real (the image above is a dev kit, by the way), Engadget has gathered some concrete details from a trusted source. Some of these details were uncovered earlier this morning, but some questions -- particularly the notion of built in WiFi -- are brand new. See the fresh details below.

• First of all, the black Xbox 360 will be officially known as the Xbox 360 Elite.
  • The Elite will be manufactured in limited quantities, possibly a few hundred thousand.
  • Everything included with the unit will be black, including the case, controller, and Live headset. The packaging will be new as well.
  • The Elite will cost $479 and will be sold alongside Premium and Core packs.
  • Eventually, a white version of the Elite will replace Xbox 360 Premium packs. Presumably, this will happen shortly after the Elite is sold out. Once this happens, Premiums will include the 120 GB HDD and HDMI.
  • There is no solid date for the Elite-to-Premium transition, though it is estimated to happen late summer or early fall.
  • The Elite runs cooler than the current Premium, but it is unknown if it takes advantage of 65nm chips.
  • Prices could remain the same when Premiums convert to 120GB/HDMI, but a price cut may still occur once the 65nm chips are implemented.
  • The HD-DVD player will definitely not be bundled with the Elite and Microsoft stands by its claim that it has no plans to ever integrate an HD-DVD drive into the Xbox 360.
  • There are no plans to integrate WiFi into the Elite or future Premium packs.

So there you have it, everything we know about the Elite until Microsoft decides to send out an official press release. Now that you know all the details (especially the bit about the Elite running cooler), do you plan on picking up an Xbox 360 Elite?

Source: http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/03/20/zephyr-dubbed-360-elite-new-details/

Details:

• First of all, the black Xbox 360 will be officially known as the Xbox 360 Elite.
  • The Elite will be manufactured in limited quantities, possibly a few hundred thousand.
  • Everything included with the unit will be black, including the case, controller, and Live headset. The packaging will be new as well.
  • Eventually, a white version of the Elite will replace Xbox 360 Premium packs. Presumably, this will happen shortly after the Elite is sold out. Once this happens, Premiums will include the 120 GB HDD and HDMI.
  • There is no solid date for the Elite-to-Premium transition, though it is estimated to happen late summer or early fall.
  • The Elite runs cooler than the current Premium, but it is unknown if it takes advantage of 65nm chips.
  • Prices could remain the same when Premiums convert to 120GB/HDMI, but a price cut may still occur once the 65nm chips are implemented.
  • The HD-DVD player will definitely not be bundled with the Elite and Microsoft stands by its claim that it has no plans to ever integrate an HD-DVD drive into the Xbox 360.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dunno about you lot but I love the black trim! Thats all I really need not too worried about the big Memory.. But damn look at the price!

Details:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dunno about you lot but I love the black trim! Thats all I really need not too worried about the big Memory.. But damn look at the price!

isnt that much - its dollars remember

i might get one of these. My 360 is on its last legs and i reacon its got another few months left and its out of worrenty (i really cant spell) so i need to buy a new one soon anyway and i like the black

I don't know why the are charging more for it though! I mean a 120Gb HDD probably costs Microsoft like $20 or something and an HDMI port costs about $3 and they are saving money with the new processor manufacturing that is about to come into effect. As one Xbox magazine points out this + HD-DVD = $680, PS3 = $699. Not much difference in there now.

the new HDD will be available to buy anyway no doubt,, and yes the data can be transfered

the only plus point about it really is the HDMI, but unless your stupid enough to forkout for a FULL HDTV then you wont be able to view the 360 in 1080p anyway.. HDREADY wont view 1080p , so im sticking with my normal 360's, but i will get the bigger HDD

I heard for the first couple of months there only going to be in black then they will be the same white as the regular ones for a while, then the stores will carry both black and white like a year from the launch date. I know there going to be super hard to find in black at first, but if this rumor is true anyone can get a black one with a little patience!

the only way i'd consider buying an elite is if they built in the high-def player... the HDMI is only useful for people wanting to use 1080p and the HDD will be available seperately anyway...

in my opinion ,what theyve said theyre doing with the elite SHOULD be a standard upgrade to all 360's, not just a limited edition gimmick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Question: is it quiet?

It’s said to be the exact same hardware as the Core and Premium systems. If you consider them to be quiet, then yes the Elite is also quite. If you consider the Core and Premium systems to be loud, then yes the Elite is also loud.

Question/Comment: Why not insist for Xbox Certification, games must be delivered on standard DVD media (for now) and if Bluray became defacto, then new models would just have a bluray drive.

This isn’t anything you need to worry about. If Blu-ray were to win the overall High Definition format war, that means nothing in terms of game consoles. Microsoft could still (if they wanted to), ship an Xbox with HD DVD to get the increased storage of blue laser HD DVD. I wouldn't imagine they will do this at all though.

Comment: I fail to see the value in this device. It is riddled with DRM and VERY expensive.

It’s not “riddled with DRM” any more than the $300 Core system. The “DRM” in question would be to protect the hardware/software from being hacked. And of course, this only gets in your way if you happen to be trying to hack it.

It’s less expensive than a PS3, but yes it is expensive.

Question: I have a standard XBox360, connected to my living room HDTV with the same type of component cables that are used on my HD STB. Can I connect it to my CableCard equipped Vista Media Center PC and use it to watch HDTV programming at their full resolution? Or would I need to purchase and HDMI-capable XBox360 Elite now?

Yes, you will be able to connect your new PC with CableCARD to your current Xbox 360. Here’s how it works.

VGA = 540p always; CIT set or not

Component = 1080i (full resolution) if CIT is not set; 540p if CIT set

HDMI-HDCP = 1080i (full resolution) always

I do not know what cable companies have CIT set on. Might be just things like HBO, might be nothing.

Question: If all I need is an extender to a Vista Media Center with Cable Cards, will the XBOX 360 Elite do anything else beyond HDMI interface and 120 GB hard drive?

The Elite should guarantee full resolution output using HDMI on all CableCARD content and no HD DVD content.

This is somthing I found if any of you are looking into the elite. Don't know if it helps or means anything.