We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Not RRoD, but equally bad..

Aquila DK

What should I do?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do?

• Buy a new Xbox 360 Pro, and get HDMI and Wireless controller
    • Wait for microsoft to get off their asses and help mine.
    • Put one vote on this one if you've voted above, so I can keep track of the amount of people who vote

I just got my first EVER HDTV today, so obviously, I needed to hook up the xbox.. No problems there, even got to do a couple of rounds of CoD4 etc... Then, a few minutes later, I pop in GH3 and it says "Unplayable Disc" in the small section designed as the drive on the dashboard.. The one that says the game title.. I quickly take out the game, and notice some scratches, so I think I'm gonna have to get a new copy.. So then I decide to pop i CoD4, 'cause I needed to play something, and la-di-da, I get the same f'word message.. Oh and by the way, it plays DVD's, so obviously it's not the laser thingy that reads the discs.. And due to Microsoft being lazy, and holidays, I can't call Microsoft until TUESDAY! HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO LIVE WITHOUT AN XBOX UNTIL TUESDAY!?!

But due to Scandinavian traditions, I've recently got loads of money, hence the new TV.. So, should I buy a new Xbox, get a wireless controller, and a HDMI exit on the xbox, or should I wait until tuesday? Oh, and has anyone ever encountered this problem? Or even heard of it?

And by the way, I know this sounds like I'm a spoiled brat, but I really aren't.. These are my OWN money, not my parents' in any sort of way.

Hmm tricky. Since it hasn't RRoD it means you will probably have to pay to have it fixed. Plus side is you should get your console back not someone else's refurbished machine. If you go down the repair route then Tuesday is the least of your worries! You can expect to be without it for 2-3 weeks. You'll have to get M$ to quote you, describe what's up with it and they will likely give you a rough estimate. Then its up to you, weigh it up. Buy a new console, or pay to have yours fixed. Alternatively, buy a new one and send your one in for repair. Then sell the repair console once it returns.

That's and idea that conquers my intelligence..

But I have the warranty, but as you say, it might not make a difference..

But no matter what, I'm gonna go to EB Games tomorrow, have a chat with them, 'cause they must have encountered the problem before, and see what they say, and if they say expensive ****, I'm gonna get a new one, 'cause I only paid like 150 quid for my Xbox, then added a harddrive and stuff.

well, when did you buy it mate? if it was after 10th may 2007 it will be fine for the warranty coverage.

shiz, i just realised that in december this year i aint even covered for RRoD :s (i got it at launch)

Hmm so you have a disc drive failure. The 4th person I know (not including myself) now to have one since the release of GTA IV.

Don't want to scare monger but it seems all the people who questioned this prior to GTA IV's launch may have had a point. We saw it previously with Gears of War and with Sega Rally (but no one bought that).

It's all to do with games that rely heavily on constant streaming from the 360's DVD drive. GTA most definitely does and it's taking its toll on 360's it seems.

Hmm so you have a disc drive failure. The 4th person I know (not including myself) now to have one since the release of GTA IV.

Don't want to scare monger but it seems all the people who questioned this prior to GTA IV's launch may have had a point. We saw it previously with Gears of War and with Sega Rally (but no one bought that).

It's all to do with games that rely heavily on constant streaming from the 360's DVD drive. GTA most definitely does and it's taking its toll on 360's it seems.

But the thing that I find strange is, that it plays dvds beautifully... But thanks for your help :)

The new premiums come with HDMI (not sure if the cable is included though) and the new heat sink, all the elite really offers is the larger HDD. Possibly new chip set, not sure if that made the jump to the premiums.