We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Which PC Components to Upgrade? [Help!]

Kal, that motherboard you suggested (again) doesn't support SLi, which is why people have started looking at new ones.

Iced, remember when you were round mine and I found that one on ebuyer that I thought I'll probably end up getting, it's also cheaper than the one we decided on for you. That's an nForce chipset, here take a look: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/126437

I'll probably get that because it'll take my 2 8800GTs, it'll take my HDDs in RAID 0+1 and the memory I want to use (same as you) @ 800MHz. It also supports all the latest CPUs.

Just one question to anyone who knows: what's the major difference between the nForce 6 and 7 chipsets?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SLI is a lot more expensive, so I thought he wouldn't want it.

Iced, remember when you were round mine and I found that one on ebuyer that I thought I'll probably end up getting, it's also cheaper than the one we decided on for you. That's an nForce chipset, here take a look: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/126437

Take a look at the link I provided, that's a nForce 680i which is cheaper than the P35 and it does SLI.

As I asked in my previous post "what's the difference between the nForce 6 and 7 chipset" I'm not sure if there's a clear difference. But I'm going to assume that the newer (7) chipsets are better until I get a response. So here's a link to a nForce 750i chipset that supports SLi with PCIe 2.0 slots.

>> Click <<

Take a look at the link I provided, that's a nForce 680i which is cheaper than the P35 and it does SLI.
But it can't run any 45nm processors, so rules out all penryn chips.

As I asked in my previous post "what's the difference between the nForce 6 and 7 chipset" I'm not sure if there's a clear difference. But I'm going to assume that the newer (7) chipsets are better until I get a response. So here's a link to a nForce 750i chipset that supports SLi with PCIe 2.0 slots.

>> Click <<

The 750 does support 45nm processors, but then you're paying 20 quid more for the privaledge and you have to put up with a northbridge you can fry eggs on ;)

If you have to go SLI then I'd agree the 750 is a good choice, but my opinion remains that going non-SLI and with the p35 chipset is better.

Im confusseled by all the technical jargon xD

Can you please post (maybe again) the MB you recomend me getting which is under £100 (maybe a little over) with a lil description dumbed down (slightly) so I can understand.

For instance IDK what the hell a penryn chip is!

I'm decided on this CPU - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131823 with this Cooler - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=340995 Do I need extra paste?

But it can't run any 45nm processors, so rules out all penryn chips.

That's what I've asked twice now and you seem to have ignored, what's the difference between the nForce 6 and 7 board? Christ dude, read.

You saying that it won't run Penryn chips is all very well if you're just trying to prove your knowledge, but you gotta apply it to the case at hand which is Iced's new computer. Is the Q6600 a Penryn chip is all we need to know, and if it's not then the 680i is fine.

The 750 does support 45nm processors, but then you're paying 20 quid more for the privaledge and you have to put up with a northbridge you can fry eggs on ;)

If you have to go SLI then I'd agree the 750 is a good choice, but my opinion remains that going non-SLI and with the p35 chipset is better.

Take your personal opinions out of the equation and make a useful post, please. You wouldn't go SLi but perhaps Iced might decide he wants an additional gfx card in the future and therefore spending the little bit extra on the motherboard that supports it now will greatly benefit him.

Iced, just get the nForce 750i - Link

Will work with the Q6600

Will work with that Corsair XMS2 ram

Will work with up to 2x 8800GTs

Will work with your HDD

Will work with your SoundCard

Will work with your TV Tuner card

Will work with your DVD Drives + MMC reader.

Will fit in your case.

Was that explained simply enough?

I'm decided on this CPU - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131823 with this Cooler - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=340995 Do I need extra paste?

Yes, you will need thermal paste otherwise your CPU will overheat. Before you put the thermal paste on, clean the top of the CPU and the bottom of the fan with a cotton bud or something with white spirit on it to clean it.

I recommend this stuff http://www.ebuyer.com/product/126410

might be expensive for how much they're is but i put some on my dads CPU after I'd done mine and his temps dropped 8C

No he was asking if he needs it because the retail Q6600s come with paste and heatsink. The OEM one he is getting says "Note- You will need to purchase a heatsink and fan". I think the CPU should come with paste but I would recommend Arctic Silver 5, to go with the Arctic Freezer Pro 5 heatsink.

Just so you can see someone else's POV. He says I don't need paste ...

CPU is exactly same as I suggested so that's fine.

CPU Cooler is more than adequate for that CPU, its actually the same one I'm currently using, and no you wont need paste for the first install of it, as it comes with arctic coolings own paste pre-applied.

As for motherboard again I suggest you take a look at the Abit IP-35 Pro I originally recommended, its a proven reliable and well featured board with well distributed cooling of the VRMS (voltage regulators), nortbrige, and southbridge via an integrated heatsink/heatpipe system, these allow the board to remain extremely stable especially when overclocked (I mean why have a CPU capable of 3.4ghz+ then buy a POS board to go with it..).

However it doesn't support Crossfire or SLI, now in my opinion multi-graphics is still no where near mature enough to be a worthwhile investment.

What you have to realise is that for multi-graphics to be effective the games you play have to be optimised for this setup(driver profiles, or hard coded), and whilst more and more games are these days, the only cards that really do justice to the technology are a pair of 9600GT's, which do offer almost double performance of a single card, you get deminshed returns the higher the spec of the single cards.

Now consider that for the price of 2 9600's you can just buy a 8800GTS (512mb version) which is almost identical performance in games that have good SLI perfromance, whilst offering better performance in games that arent as well supported, I know what I'd buy..and it wouldnt be the SLI

Oh and so your know I do actually base this on my own personal experience as a previous owner of a dual 6800Ultra setup.

"I can play TDU on 4xAA and HDR Full settings when there is about 3/4 people in a session, then when it gets above that, I start getting some visual lag. I think this is because of my CPU, not sure. My GFX Card is obviously able to handle the graphics etc, as others have the same card and are fine. The CPU is getting on for nearly 5/6 years old!"

i dont know if somebody already say this too you (i didint have time to read all the posts)..The problem is the GFX card ,i had the same problem in my old pc and when i changed GFX all whas ok .Can you watch a video in your pc??(not from internet,youtube etc..)

i dont know if somebody already say this too you (i didint have time to read all the posts)..The problem is the GFX card ,i had the same problem in my old pc and when i changed GFX all whas ok .Can you watch a video in your pc??(not from internet,youtube etc..)
Of course I can :cool: !! What's the point in having a PC which wont let you watch videos ... I thought any PC for years has let you, and anyway, the gfx card is good, its my current CPU which is bottlenecking it. And as the past 95% of posts have been about, I'm getting a whole new PC Rig anyway :)

Of course I can :cool: !! What's the point in having a PC which wont let you watch videos ... I thought any PC for years has let you, and anyway, the gfx card is good, its my current CPU which is bottlenecking it. And as the past 95% of posts have been about, I'm getting a whole new PC Rig anyway :)

My old pc didint play videos cuz off the stupid gfx...well sure the best is to buy new pc rig ..i did it too and i am happy with it :)just one TIP:if you buy windows vista make sure that you will have 3-4 gb RAM soo your pc wont be slow ..i have guad CPU but is slow cuz of vista .I need 2 gb more RAM and it will be ok :)

Guest RB26DETT
*ignores the above post*

I got another question, check out this LINK and tell me what benefit does the 1GB 8800GT have over the 'normal' 512MB version?

EDIT: I found out, no real benefit. lol.

if you play on a mahoosive TV then that's when the 1gb helps.

Guest RB26DETT
Would 2x 19" Dell UltraSharps count as "mahoosive"? XD

EDIT: I lol'd. I think Diablo changed the topic name to "Which PC crumpets...". Someone's bored!! XD <3

nope. 512mb will be fine. if you got a 50" HDTV, that's when you use them 1gb's.