We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Building a PC

Loz

For my next PC, im gonna build one instead of buying from PCWorld (Hopefully better than my current one). But i am unsure what components i need, or what i need to connect the components and all the numbers that are attached to them.

Here is what i have so far...

-- OLD IMAGE REMOVED (imageshack) --

-- OLD IMAGE REMOVED (imageshack) --

All help with be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks mostly good - only two concerns:

1) A 32bit operating system can only see 2gb of ram. But worse, you'll run out of virtual memory address space if you use that graphics card, especially if you try and tweak windows to see up to 3gb. With those components you really need to go 64bit.

2) Check that the power supply is suitable for that card - go to the nvidia website and see what power requirements it has (especially on the 12v rail) and match that against the specs of the PSU you're thinking of getting.

I think you're fine for connectors, assuming the motherboard comes with 2x SATA cables.

Thankyou... :)

Im guessing http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-084-AN is a good PSU, as Overclockers say it needs 700+ for the best performance.

It depends what you look for in a good PSU. The overall Wattage isn't the best indicator.

But yes, that PSU is supported by nVIDIA as working with that card, although nVIDIA state there is a problem with the 8pin cable latch being too wide, meaning you'll need to get an adaptor (unless they've updated it in the meantime). A list of others can be found here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_9800gx2_pwr_supply.html

Personally I would go for one with a 120 or 140mm fan, as they will be quieter than the Antec which only has an 80mm one, though looking at the list it seems a lot of PSUs have the problem with the cable width.

Also, im a bit confused about the 32 Bit and 64 Bit OS. If i get a 64 Bit, will i be able to put it in and it should work?
If you mean start off with 64bit then yes, it'll work fine with all your components.

Looks mostly good - only two concerns:

1) A 32bit operating system can only see 2gb of ram. But worse, you'll run out of virtual memory address space if you use that graphics card, especially if you try and tweak windows to see up to 3gb. With those components you really need to go 64bit.

Wrong, I have xp home 32-bit now and it instantly recognised 3GB out of the 4GB of RAM i have. After a bit of tweaking with the BIOS and boot.ini file, I got my processor into 36-bit mode with PAE which enables it to see and use all 4GB of RAM in 32-bit mode.

Wrong, I have xp home 32-bit now and it instantly recognised 3GB out of the 4GB of RAM i have.
Recognises.. but can't do anything with at all. The last 2gb of the 4gb address space in 32bit is reserved for the OS. That means programs can only access the first 2gb of physical memory out of the box.

After a bit of tweaking with the BIOS and boot.ini file, I got my processor into 36-bit mode with PAE
PAE is on by default since SP2, and doesn't have any effect on the size of the virtual address pool available to programs because windows is still taking up it's bunch, especially with that graphics card which was my point.

How much memory shows in your system properties box?

To get programs to use the 2-3gb space you have to use the /3gb flag which is nothing to do with PAE, but instead forces windows into the last 1gb of virtual address space, freeing up the first 3gb for programs to use. However, a program compiled for 32bit OS still won't be able to see more than 2gb, unless it is compiled as Large Address Aware.

At the end of the day, there is nothing you can do to stop windows reserving the last 1gb or so of the 4gb address space. The only solution is to go 64bit.

edit: Simple explaination in much clearer English than I could manage:

http://www.dansdata.com/askdan00015.htm

hats just about the best card that is in shops at the moment and you should of saved a few quid and overclocked it yourself, well thats the way i see it and what i did

How much did you manage to overclock the GX2 then? I'd have thought they'd be quite tricky because of the dual PCB.

All the components arrived, now im gonna try put it together.

I may need help here.

Take your time and dont let anybody else do it for you, my dad put the thermal paste on the CPU, i told him to only use a little so he put hlf the bloody tube on and i got all over the surrounding area and motherboard, so dont do that

You'll be fine. Just follow the case and motherboard instructions (mostly motherboard).

Unless you didnt get one with it like i didnt or its a crappy translation and the hardest part is getting all the cabling done properly and tidy

The cabling seems tricky. And most of the things like my HDD's and Disc Drive came with no instructions :(

I am following the Motherboard manual as good as i can.

The components i have put in so far are...

Motherboard.

PSU.

PCI Thingy with a few USB Slots.

Both HDD's

CD-Drive.

What would be a good thing to install next?

I got the CPU + Heatsink, aswell as the RAM and its Coolong Fan's in. The fans seem to fit a bit too loosly over the clips for the RAM.

Sorry, cant help you there, never seen the point of getting a fan for just the RAM unless it is high performance and has 2.2V+ running through it after its been overclocked

Ahh ok...

Im now at another problem. Im trying to install the graphics card, but im unsure which PCI slot i should put it in.

The order of the slots from top to bottom are...

Blue - Longest Slot

White - Shorter Slot

White - "

Black - Longest Slot

White - Shorter Slot

If i put it in the black one, i will have no room for my USB PCI thingy.