We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

What Car should I get?

Baltoman

What Car Should I Get!  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What Car Should I Get!

• VW Puma Coupe
    • VW Puma Convertible
    • VW SP2
    • Cheverolet Opala
    • VW Beetle
    • None, I hate you balto!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly I hate Britain's economy etc.

I always hear of people from other countries talking of 'Oh I want a car when I start driving!' and 'what should I get?' Why do we get such immensely high insurance and car prices?!?

If I were to get a car for when I start driving (17 - so a years time), if I were to get a 1.2l Clio from about 2002 or so, the car would be about £2000, and insurance £1800 a year. You don't know how lucky you are to just be able to go out and buy a car with a 2.2l engine for driving. Insurance companies just wouldn't insure you for a car like that until you were 21 here.

I always hear of people from other countries talking of 'Oh I want a car when I start driving!' and 'what should I get?' Why do we get such immensely high insurance and car prices?!?

If I were to get a car for when I start driving (17 - so a years time), if I were to get a 1.2l Clio from about 2002 or so, the car would be about £2000, and insurance £1800 a year. You don't know how lucky you are to just be able to go out and buy a car with a 2.2l engine for driving. Insurance companies just wouldn't insure you for a car like that until you were 21 here.

Thats what i hate about Britain. I dunno if insurance is different if you get a Diesel, apparently it is. Wich is why i want a Land Rover Defended SWB Version. Or i would like a car from the 70's as it is tax exempt. But Insurance is one of the reasons i don't want to drive yet.

Another is my Confidence due to Autism or something..

insurance is a joke to be honest.

I was thinking of a car on a motorbike license (the license lets you drive class B1 microcars) in particular, the Reliant Regal. A car with 3 wheels, a top speed of 85 and a weight of about half a ton. all from a 0.85l engine. To insure it for a year it would cost £1,600. That, my friends, is a joke. The damn thing only costs £400 and is made of fibreglass!

hence why i'm currently stuck with my moped, £130 a year insurance...

Yeah, insurance is stupidly high out here. Although it depends what company you go for i guess, a guy in Max Power with just 2 years No Claims is paying £1500 a year fully comp for his 500hp+ R34 GT-T. It's a shame though, it means i have to get a Fiesta or something for my first car, unless i have a well-paying job :(. I'm saving atm though, and i'm looking for a job so hopefully i'll start working soon.

Anyway, back on topic, Puma GTE Coupe FTW!! :D

Stop complaining. When it comes to car prices, you just can't beat Singapore. A W124 Mercedes 200E for example would cost 15k - 20k depending on the year. An early '90s Honda Civic ESi 1.6 is around 10k - 15k. A brand new car, such as a new Suzuki Swift 1.3 is just under 50k.

You don't know how lucky you are to be able to get your own car when you get your license. Almost everyone here (bar the rich people) have to drive their parent's car for the first few years

You don't know how lucky you are to be able to get your own car when you get your license. Almost everyone here (bar the rich people) have to drive their parent's car for the first few years

Ah no, we all have to drive our parents cars here as well, except for the rich ones. Sure prices for the actual car are maybe less here, but that doesn't make it much better, because insurance and tax (and petrol, but that's tax too) are the killers

Pressurized: I've never really considered older cars. Maybe because i've got something against them, but free tax is fairly lucrative. And about the Defenders, they are pretty cool, but they are unreliable right? People always say that you can just mend them yourself, but I have no clue how to fix a car...