We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

PC Help

iBilo

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go for the 9800GTX you get a small cable to connect it to the motherboard so you can get sound through it. All you need is a DVI to HDMI adapter IIRC

Also on the Nvidia G9x chips you can get Ageia PhysX. This takes all of the physics calculations from the CPU and runs them on the GPU. This frees up processing power for your CPU and has no noticeable impact on graphics performance.

The AMD 6000+ X2 3.1Ghz is also cheaper at http://www.scan.co.uk

[ATTACH]6786[/ATTACH]

Just thought I'd throw this idea out there for you, and it even leaves you with almost £60 to choose a case.

I have 4GB of that RAM and it is fantastic, very fast and overclocks very well, got my timings down to 4-3-4-10 at DDR2 800Mhz.

9800GTX + It's a stock version of my graphics card with higher clock speeds and then it's been overclocked more.

With that motherboard you can have Hybrid SLI, which is where your graphics card gets turned off and it uses the onboard graphics when you're not on games. It saves power, it's quieter and it reduces the heat in your case.

The motherboard also supports AM3 chips and DDR2 1066Mhz RAM

CPU, I have the old 6000+ X" and can't fault it, overclocks well and runs very cool. It'll handle anything you throw at it.

Oh and you still get your cathode kit.

Could you send me a link to those components please? I have an idea.

Btw does the mobo support HDMI? Cos I'm gonna use a 32 Inch TV as my screen.

And also would I have to buy a wireless card to fit in? I'm not great with wireless things.

And have I got everything I need (included the O/S too)?

Here you go ducky, all the specs for the motherboard and yes it has HDMI

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=149&l3=676&l4=0&model=2260&modelmenu=1

Hang on a minute - have I got this right? You've gone from a great Intel build to a much much slower AMD one? And you've changed from a fast graphics card to a slower one, which you still can't use hybrid with?

What's going on in your head?? Are you mad?? :p

(And you're giving rep to the person who's helping you make these terrible decisions! :p)

If I'd known you were trying to build the slowest PC for the money I'm sure I could come up with some better suggestions for that too!

CPU: Intel is much much faster than AMD.

GPU: 4870 is faster than 4850, which is faster than 9800GTX+

Hang on a minute - have I got this right? You've gone from a great Intel build to a much much slower AMD one? And you've changed from a fast graphics card to a slower one, which you still can't use hybrid with?

(And you're giving rep to the person who's helping you make these terrible decisions! :p)

If I'd known you were trying to build the slowest PC for the money I'm sure I could come up with some better suggestions for that too!

Right, what exactly is wrong with that PC?

It's better than my PC, newer CPU and graphics card. I can run Crysis at 1920x1080 with half of the settings on high and half on ultra. If you look at what he wants, you'll see that it is more than enough. Yet you insist on trying to get him to spend more money than he has said he can spend and to get a computer with a higher spec than he needs.

He can't use Hybrid power with the 9800GTX+? and with that motherboard?

Explain please as I have the same graphics card and a higher spec motherboard. The motherboard I suggested and the one that he carried on with is hybrid power enabled. I can use hybrid power with a very similar setup, infact I'm using it right now.

We all know that you love Intel and always suggest it in threads like this, no matter if it's better or not.

Also with the 9800GTX+, if you turn it off, which can be done in seconds from your desktop as long as you're not running 3D applications, it cuts down on unwanted heat in your case, it uses less power, it will last longer and it cuts the noise down but you won't notice this as it is a very quiet card, even when gaming.

Criticising people for trying to help and giving suitable advice, what is your problem?

EDIT: Oh and I have my PC which is running a standard 9800GTX and my dads PC right next to mine with a 4850, and I can assure you I have about a 15% performance advantage over my dads PC. I'll even put the 4850 in my PC and run benchmarks on both cards if you really want.

Fanboy ?

About that GPU a 4850 is in some games faster, in other games the 9800 GTX+.

4870 is can be more compared to the 9800GX2, 260 GTX

ATI 4850 and Nvidia 9800GTX have similar performance according to this guide:

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=1&artpage=3603&articID=849

That's a standard GTX, the one you were looking at was the GTX+.

The GTX+ has the 55nm core as opposed to the 65nm core of the standard GTX. It also has faster GPU, memory and shader clock speeds.

But like I said, it's your choice, I'm merely offering some advice, not telling you what to get like some people

This (hopefully) is my final list, I haven't ordered this yet. If there's anything I missed out let me know, also if I need any fans let me know.

Graphics Card - Nvidia 9800GTX+ 1GB

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/1GB-Gigabyte-9800-GTXplus-PCI-E-20-(x16)-2000MHz-GDDR3-GPU-740MHz-128-Cores-2x-DL-DVI-I-HDTV

Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 3.1GHz

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149211

Motherboard - ASUS M3N78 Pro GeForce 8300

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150948

RAM - Corsair 4GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz

(the one Jungle suggested was sold out.)

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130429

Hard Drive - Maxtor 500GB

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/141471

PSU - Arctic Power 700W

(the one Jungle Goat suggested was also sold out.)

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/124927

O/S - Windows Vista Home Premium 64Bit

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/142785

Case - XION Solaris Black Mid Tower

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/107994

Total price: £531.90

We all know that you love Intel and always suggest it in threads like this, no matter if it's better or not.

Fanboy ?

Look at my computer. If I was a fanboy why would I have an AMD cpu in my own computer? :p

Fact of the matter is AMD have not produced competitive chips for years - Intel produce much faster ones *at the moment*.

But fine - attack me for giving PC advice which people usually pay me for. This is an advice thread - you can't moan that someone is a fanboy just because they have a different viewpoint to your own. At the end of the day as long as you're happy with your own machine (no matter the fact you could have got a faster one for the same money) then it doesn't matter. You are wasting money if you go for an AMD CPU (and to a lesser extent, 9800GTX+ graphics card), but that's your prerogative.

Yet you insist on trying to get him to spend more money than he has said he can spend and to get a computer with a higher spec than he needs.
Please count - my suggestion came out cheaper.

Good luck with the build Chrisicus, let us know how it works out.

Look at my computer. If I was a fanboy why would I have an AMD cpu in my own computer? :p

Fact of the matter is AMD have not produced competitive chips for years - Intel produce much faster ones *at the moment*.

But fine - attack me for giving PC advice which people usually pay me for. This is an advice thread - you can't moan that someone is a fanboy just because they have a different viewpoint to your own. At the end of the day as long as you're happy with your own machine (no matter the fact you could have got a faster one for the same money) then it doesn't matter. You are wasting money if you go for an AMD CPU (and to a lesser extent, 9800GTX+ graphics card), but that's your prerogative.

Please count - my suggestion came out cheaper.

Good luck with the build Chrisicus, let us know how it works out.

I know Intel are producing the best chips at the moment, but with that comes a large price tag compared to AMD.

And I wasn't attacking you for it, I'm sorry if it came across that way but that's the way I took your previous quote. And I never called you a fanboy :p So yea, sorry if it came across in a bad way.

That's why I went for the AMD and not the Intel, its another £50-70 for a good Intel and my parents won't let me go much further than £500.

I still haven't ordered these yet but I'll ask Dad to tonight. Thank you everyone for the advice that they gave me, all of it was really useful.

if your wanting to make it cheaper why not buy a 4850 ?

or am i entering into a heated debate here? :P

Hehe there's lots of things he could do to make it cheaper - so much so that he could even afford a nice CPU and still come in cheaper.. but building a PC isn't always about what is objectively best or best value, instead what you most like yourself, because you're the one that's going to be using it :)