We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Help With Pc Upgrade!!!

T3hReaper91

Ok Guys i am looking at upgrading my pc in the near future but unsure on the motherboard and RAM i should get.

I am getting:

AMD HDZ940XCGIBOX Phenom Ii X4 940 Black Edition Quad-core Processor

So the motherboard will need to support that CPU.

I would like the motherboard to have the ability to have 8gb of ram but would only like to have 4gb of ram to start of with.

I Am not upgrading my graphics card or anything else.

Also if you know where to get fans for a antec 900 case then that would also be very usefull. i have blue fans atm but woul love to get a different colour set.

your current motherboard should support that cpu. check for a bios upgrade you may be surprised

if it doesn't support it i would recommend switching to Intel cpus and motherboards

you will get better performance for the same price as a phenom II or have you already bought it?

do you require sli capability on the mobo?

as for the antec fans they are just antec tri cool fans and you should be able to find them on http://www.scan.co.uk

your current motherboard should support that cpu. check for a bios upgrade you may be surprised

if it doesn't support it i would recommend switching to Intel cpus and motherboards

you will get better performance for the same price as a phenom II or have you already bought it?

do you require sli capability on the mobo?

as for the antec fans they are just antec tri cool fans and you should be able to find them on www.scan.co.uk

I havent yet bought that cpu but already looked and found my motherboard wont support it.

Also i would never switch to intel i prefer amd. AMD is half the price of the 3ghz intel quad core for the same thing and especially as intel use amd technology especially in there older cpu.

Just Found:

Motherboard:

Asrock K10N780SLIX3-WiFi 780a SLI Sockel AM2+

RAM:

Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 XMS2 Dominator Memory Xtreme Performance Kit with Fan CL5 2.1 V

yep i should go for 2x2GB ram. Motherboard sounds also good

:oook: wha?? its nowhere near an i7 in anything. Its a similar speed to a Q6600

Dream on

It really beats the i7 with some programs. And it's alott cheaper, because you dont have to buy a new mobo & ram

You could also buy also a Ati/AMD chipset & videocard.

http://game.amd.com/us-en/unlock_sevenseries.aspx

Because you can get a real performance boost with programs for it. (from Ati/AMD offcourse)

Dream on

It really beats the i7 with some programs. And it's alott cheaper, because you dont have to buy a new mobo & ram

You could also buy also a Ati/AMD chipset & videocard.

http://game.amd.com/us-en/unlock_sevenseries.aspx

Because you can get a real performance boost with programs for it. (from Ati/AMD offcourse)

But i need a new mobo and ram anyway cuz ma mobo dont support am2+ socket

But i need a new mobo and ram anyway cuz ma mobo dont support am2+ socket

:p yep, but you dont have to buy all that expensive stuff for the i7. mobo + ram + i7 920 = around 750 Euro in holland

But maybe something to look after, those Ati chipsets

Just wanna ask a quick question, why do you prefer AMD over Intel? Just wondering.

Becuase intel in the old days used to get there technology from amd thats why they are more expensive.

I think this might be the case now still but i could be wrong.

Also in the older days intel used to sell a 1.8ghz processor but you would only get 1.5ghz but with the amd 1.8ghz u got the 1.8ghz.

not always about clock speed though penryn is 4% faster clock for clock than kentsfield and nehalem is 24% faster clock for clock than penryn

But only in some tasks.

You can't really go wrong whatever you choose - since Phenom II AMD now have a chip/system that's perfectly competitive at the same price points. So whoever called me an Intel fanboy can take that back :p Right now, at the right price points, I'd go with Phenom II, at least until Intel drop penryn prices.