We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Which console should I choose?

kalniel

Well, I might soon (after the price drops) be able to finally get a modern console, but I'm really struggling which one to go for. So I wondered if the TDU-C collective could help out? :)

The games I'd play would be driving, beat-em-ups, maybe platform if there was anything good out there (beyond good and evil for eg.) and maybe RPG if it didn't look like it would make it to the PC eventually.

My problem is I've tried a couple of games on both the X360 and PS3 and been pretty dissappointed - perhaps my expectations are too high?

On the X360 I tried Forza 2 - I liked the feel of the cars, I loved the car selections and class choices, but I was dissappointed mostly with the controls - I couldn't customise them to anything close to my favourite control scheme (with the X360 controller on PC), but I was also a little dissappointed with the visuals. I also tried Dead or Alive 4, and found it to be really aweful - controls weren't great, it wasn't responsive, and it just didn't seem to flow nicely. Soul Calibre 2 on the Gamecube was even better than this! Also the box I tried was really noisy.

On the PS3 I tried Burnout Paradise City - I enjoyed the freeroam and thought it was a fun game overall, but I really didn't like the feel of the cars - wasn't really a driving game as much just a fun game. Visually it was poor IMHO - reminds me of other need for speed games. And the controller was really uncomfortable. I also tried Little Big Planet - it's okay for a platformer, but I prefer games like that to have a decent storyline, so I probably wouldn't get it. I loved how quiet the PS3 was though.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy a PS3. Trust me all the money you save not having to pay xbox live every month can go towards new games & DLC :) Also theres alot less tards online on PS3 (not no tards completely but alot less then live). Home is also picking up in popularity & the wifi & web browser are a plus.

Oh & unlike that 360 you tried PS3's are ALWAYS whisper quiet.

BTW i feel this will be really really really biased towards 360 due to the TDU 360'ers so it maybe better to get a opinion from people that either own neither console or both.

Tbh it depends on what you prefer. I own a Xbox 360 Premium Edition so I'll give you good things and bad things. Its an okay console.

Good things about Xbox 360

- Wide selection of games, the ones that are for Xbox 360 specifically are very good.

- It will work with any TV that has a SCART unit.

- Its generally quite quick.

- The controller's generally are easy to use.

- You can link it up with your PC.

- The graphics are good.

- You can put Music onto the hard drive and play it easily.

- You can play DVDs on it.

- Live is easy to access and the multiplayer's quite good.

- Its quite small and light and can take it everywhere you go.

Bad things.

- Its noisy unless you get the Elite.

- They generally don't last very long (mine's been going for 3 years and I have to hit it on the side to get the CD drive to come out.)

- The Customer Support is rubbish (every customer support is crap.)

- Have to pay for DLCs and for Xbox Live.

- A lot of tards on Xbox Live with high voices who won't ever shut up.

- Need to buy a lot of things to be able to do anything.

- Live can be annoying if you have a bad connection.

- Lots of glitches.

- Annoying to set up for the first time.

I haven't really played a PS3 so I can't really talk about that, but I have a 360 so I'll tell you about that instead. And no, I'm not a fanboy.

Xbox 360 - Good

• There is a really wide variety of games already out
  • The online gaming works very well
  • It has TDU of course
  • It's really easy to use if you have half a brain
  • It's easy to set up media streaming for you music, videos, pictures and radio
  • If you get Live you'll get to play with most of the lovely people on here (me being a lovely person of course :D:p)
  • There is a lot of DLC readily available
  • You can get Race Pro next month for the 360
  • There is a party system so you don't have to talk to the "squeaky" people if you don't want to
  • The pad fits perfectly into your hand, or it should do
  • You can buy films off the marketplace and also rip music to your HDD
  • Some Xbox's don't die no matter what
  • It's cheaper than the PS3
  • You can use Messenger whilst playing games
  • You are allowed to use USB keyboards
  • You get the ability to mute or block communication with people online

Xbox 360 - Bad

• Microsoft don't allow you to use none-certified products with the Xbox, such as steering wheels etc.
  • Some consoles can be very loud
  • Some Xbox's are prone to crashing and RRoD
  • You get some very immature people online, like all online gaming
  • Some of the DLC is a bit pricey
  • If you have a bad broadband, you will always get lag
  • Some consoles are very loud (mine sounds like a plane taking off)

That's all I can of for now and if I think of anymore I will add them. Hope it helps.

BTW i feel this will be really really really biased towards 360 due to the TDU 360'ers so it maybe better to get a opinion from people that either own neither console or both.

Don't worry, I have an automatic filter that ignores advice from anyone who just says 'get X, trust me' without giving good reasons. :)

Thanks for the opinions so far guys.

fire hose most of those pro's the ps3 has.

I never said it didn't, but like I said I've not really played a PS3 so couldn't possibly say any good or bad points about it. I'm also sure that the PS3 has good and bad points that the Xbox doesn't have.

well having a friend that has a 360 i know what thier like and in my opinion it hasnt got that many things going for it the ps3 cant atleast rival. Plus i have experienced the online cesspit tht is xbox live first hand and well lets just say i dont enjoy being called gay by squeaky voiced teens and having racist coments yel5ed at me by adults.

well having a friend that has a 360 i know what thier like and in my opinion it hasnt got that many things going for it the ps3 cant atleast rival. Plus i have experienced the online cesspit tht is xbox live first hand and well lets just say i dont enjoy being called gay by squeaky voiced teens and having racist coments yel5ed at me by adults.

I agree with the XBL community, but there are quite a few decent people to be found. And what online gaming community isn't like that?

I like my 360 a lot but... its far from being brilliant, this for example is console number 2 after console number one died on my for a second time.

No real need for me to list the pros and cons you have a pretty comprehensive list already. I can't offer opinion on the PS3 as I barely use mine.

The main thing that keeps me on Xbox is the people I game with (many of them on this forum) Find the right people and its a great laugh.

Whatever you choose I expect you'll be satisfied. The PS3 does offer more hardware though without a doubt.

*copy and paste from asnother thread on another forum I posted this on*

If you are interested in going next gen, the PS3 is good console. It has a Blu Ray player, choice of 40gb or 80gb HDD, free online, wireless built in.. But Devs are finding it hard to take advantage of Blu Ray discs and finding it hard to make games on them, this was one of the reasons GTA IV was delayed, also I have heard that PSN, being young in comparison to XBL, still has a few probelms and is not as good as xbl online, yet.

As for the 360, It has and established online system (xbl), choice of 60gb or 120gb HDD (dont bother with arcade), more exclusives and games jumping ship from PS3 or going Multi platform. Ok the 360 has RRoD but if you live in the UK, you phone up MS and send it on a 2 week holiday to germany and recive it back in good working order and a certificate to say what was wrong. It hasn't got built in wireless but does come with an ethernet cable but a wireless adaptor is £60~.

The 360 is cheaper but if you want wireless and a bigger HDD it brings it into the region of a PS3 money. games tend to be cheaper on the 360 than on the PS3 (well they are in Tesco and Asda).

At the end of the day its down to you and the games you like to play etc, do some research into them both and decide. I used to be PS2 and PS1 before that but jumped ship to 360 due to the PS3 being delayed again and again and never looked back. I'm still gonna get a PS3 but only when it gets more games (well GT5 (not prologue) if I'm honest)

Hope that helped.

Nobody recommends the Wii :p
No need to - I'll almost certainly be getting one anyway. Fabulous thing.

If you are interested in going next gen, the PS3 is good console. It has a Blu Ray player, choice of 40gb or 80gb HDD, free online, wireless built in.. But Devs are finding it hard to take advantage of Blu Ray discs and finding it hard to make games on them, this was one of the reasons GTA IV was delayed, also I have heard that PSN, being young in comparison to XBL, still has a few probelms and is not as good as xbl online, yet.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'going next gen'? Blu-ray isn't something I'm going to need for quite some time, and I'm more likely just to get a cheap drive for the PC if I ever do go for it. Graphics-wise I'm already disappointed by both consoles to be honest compared to the PC - while I'm sure games will get better graphically, so will the PC, so neither are really 'next gen' in that respect for me.

At the end of the day its down to you and the games you like to play etc, do some research into them both and decide.
That's what I'm trying to do, hence listing the kind of games I like at the start ;)

Hope that helped.

Cheers.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'going next gen'? Blu-ray isn't something I'm going to need for quite some time, and I'm more likely just to get a cheap drive for the PC if I ever do go for it. Graphics-wise I'm already disappointed by both consoles to be honest compared to the PC - while I'm sure games will get better graphically, so will the PC, so neither are really 'next gen' in that respect for me.

That's what I'm trying to do, hence listing the kind of games I like at the start ;)

Cheers.

I copied and pasted it from a thread where someone was upgrading from a PS2 and next Gen is considered Xbox 360 or PS3.

As for the games you tried Burnout is available on both consoles and Forza will be dead as Race Pro will be out soon.

I would personally say the 360 is better as there are a better range of games, xbl is tried and tested even though you have to pay and theres alot of this community on there. Also as I said alot of games are jumping ship or going multi platform.

PS3 will take a couple of years to become good imo, not enough games and limited in the driving catagory. I'm only gonna get one when GT5 comes out.

I have only one thing to say

The PS3 Blu-ray player, is better than expensive Blu-ray players

He's right. I remember a while back they compared the PS3 Blu-ray player to that of top of the line blu-ray players out at the time which cost twice as much as a PS3 & the PS3 wiped the floor with them.

Also as far as i know it's the only blu-ray player around that can have it;s firmware upgraded to play new types of blu-ray (it was updated to BD profile 1.1 in a system update a while back which means Blu-ray movies can now have content that accesses the Internet on them)

360. Because that is when you get the ultimate TDU experience and that is when you get the ultimate interaction experience with other people :)

Look i know this is a TDU forum but you don't just buy a console for one game no matter how awesome. TDU doesn't justify a $500-$900 purchase!

Lets be honest here, they both do the same job equally well.

The current range of consoles have few reliability issues despite what the fanbois claim.

There is still a preferable cost saving if you chose a 360. Over £80 on amazon and the 360 has 40gb more storage at that price too. Straight away there's at least 2 brand new games.

The 360's controller is a far superior design and its layout is much better suited to FPS and driving games than the dualshock 3's.

The PS3 does have sixaxis though.

The 360's controller is a far superior design and its layout is much better suited to FPS and driving games than the dualshock 3's.

Thats a matter of personal opinion. I personally think the 360 controller is too bulky & has too many buttons. But i guess im a bit biased having used a Playstation controller since i was 6.

Guest RB26DETT

imo in the long run, the ps3 will be better than the 360.

pros of the ps3

- it's cheaper than a blu-ray player

- tekken, mgs, gran turismo, little big planet

- battery in the gamepad lasts a looooooooooooong time

- 1080i

cons

- uhhhh... haven't encountered one.