We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Geneva Motorshow

So, as this is one of the biggest shows since the begining of 2009, I thought I would make a preview of the cars using Autoblog. ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Geneva Preview: One-77 is Aston Martin's 700+HP tour de force

astonone77-chop1_580op.jpg

Later today in Geneva, Aston Martin will officially unveil the One-77, which represents all the brand has to offer in terms of craftsmanship and engineering. The front-engine, rear-wheel-drive supercar features a very special version of Aston Martin's 6.0L V12 engine that's been tuned by the legendary motor mavens at Cosworth. Enlarged to a full 7.3 liters of displacement, the One-77's V12 is a full 25% lighter than the engine on which it's based while producing in excess of 700 bhp. The One-77 also features a monocoque tub comprised entirely of carbon fiber, which helps keep its curb weight around 3,300 lbs. A unique inboard suspension system, six-speed sequential manual gearbox and carbon ceramic brakes at all four corners are just a few of the top shelf standard features that One-77 customers will be getting. Add it all up and Aston Martin expects a 0-60mph time of just 3.5 seconds and top speed over 200 mph. The One-77 will be the most powerful and fastest Aston Martin ever made and represent the brand's zenith. It'll be tough to top this one, that's for sure. Stay tuned for live pics of the Aston Martin One-77 later today from the floor of the Geneva Motor Show.

Source

Gallery

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Geneva Preview: Opel/Vauxhall Ampera officially looks better than Volt

ampera-1-1280_opt.jpg

Holden. Chevy. Opel. Vauxhall. These are the brands that we know will get a version of the plug-in Volt. Granted, the Europeans will call it the Ampera, but under all those models will be the Voltec technology that gives the sedan a 60-km (37-mile) electric-only range and a 500-km (310-mile) total range when the gas tank is filled up. At the Geneva Motor Show this week, General Motors announced that British Volt fans will be able to get a right-hand drive version of the Vauxhall Ampera some time after the Ampera's production start in late 2011.

In Europe, GM is testing a vehicle plug-in infrastructure with utility company Iberdrola of Spain, among others. One difference between the Ampera and Volt is that most European outlets supply higher voltage, between 220v and 240v, instead of the 110v plugs commonly used in the U.S. How this affects the car's charging time remains to be seen. See new pictures of the Opel- and Vauxhall-branded Amperas in the galleries below. If you only have time to look at one image, check out what they've done to the interior. Wow.

Source

Gallery

Geneva Preview: Volkswagen unleashes the goods on new Polo

db2009au00250_medium_opt.jpg

Volkswagen is trotting out its new fifth-generation Polo at the Geneva Motor Show tomorrow, but we've got a slew of details and images of the new model to share today. Looking very much like a shrunken Pygmy Golf, it may take a trained eye to tell the difference between VW's newest hatchback and the current one at first glance. Volkswagen's keen to point out that the new Polo is a full 7.5% lighter than the outgoing model despite growing in every meaningful dimension, and it's still expected to score a perfect 5-star safety rating in Euro NCAP crash testing.

In Germany, the Polo will come with your choice of four gasoline and three diesel engines, many equipped with turbochargers and direct injection. VeeDub's latest 7-speed DSG transmission will also be available on select models. The most frugal trim will carry the BlueMotion badge and attain 62 mpg (U.S.) in European combined testing with just 96 grams CO2 per kilometer, which makes it the most fuel efficient diesel-burning 5-seater in the world.

Sales are slated to begin in Germany by the end of June with the rest of Europe coming just two weeks later. In case you missed it earlier, the Polo is finally coming to America, possibly as early as 2010, so VW definitely has our interest piqued. Check out our image gallery below and read the official press release after the break.

Source

Gallery

Geneva Preview: Ferrari 599XX looks flippin' insane

000_599xx_optt.jpg

The doors to the 2009 Geneva Motor Show have yet to be officially flung open, but images have already begun emanating from the Geneva PalExpo center. The latest come courtesy of Asphalte.ch who are right now running around the show floor and taking pictures of everything that's not covered up. These are of the Ferrari 599XX and directly responsible for the pool of drool at my feet right now. Based on the 599 GTB Fiorana, the 599XX features the latest application of Ferrari's extensive research in F1 racing to a road going car. It's clear on looks alone that the 599XX will be the most extreme version of this car to come from Maranello, and we don't even know what's been changed beneath its skin.

Like the Enzo FXX, we expect that the 599XX will be made in extremely limited numbers and sold only to faithful Ferrari owners hand-selected by the company to become Client Test Drivers. We'll have official specifications of the 599XX for you tomorrow, along with our own gallery of high-res live shots. Until then, take a gander at the gallery below and visit Asphalte.ch for more detail shots.

Source

Gallery

Geneva Preview: Dacia Duster concept first from low-cost brand

000_daciaduster_opt.jpg

Renault's low cost Romanian brand, Dacia, will be unveiling its very first concept at the Geneva Motor Show this week. Called the Duster, the concept features a crossover-style body with some very interesting styling elements like headlights that trail off across the front fenders and rear tail-lights that stretch forward across a flying buttress of sheetmetal above the rear wheels. Kudos to Renault designers in Romania and France for penning such an interesting shape. Contained within is an equally useful interior with a neat modular trick: The front passenger seat slides underneath the driver's seat on rails, creating enough room to carry a mountain bike inside the car rather than on top of it. Of course, there are those concept car elements that have to be included like ridiculously large 21-inch wheels, an all-glass roof and rear-hinged back doors, but the Duster's powertrain is anything but fanciful. The concept is powered by Renault's 1.5L dCi four-cylinder diesel engine that produces 105 hp and 177 lb-ft of torque. Dacia says that's enough to push the Duster to 62 mph in 9.6 seconds while returning 44.4 mpg (U.S).

Source

Gallery

Geneva 2009: Production Chevrolet Spark hanging out at airport, ready for takeoff

chevy-spark-lead.jpg

We've just disembarked from our transatlantic journey, and we haven't even managed to exit the airport here in Switzerland without stumbling into show-related news. The folks at Chevrolet have thoughtfully set up a surprisingly cozy lounge right in the outer concourse of the Geneva International Airport for media members, complete with a pair of attractive models standing by um... errr... an attractive young model – in this case, the production version of the 2010 Chevrolet Spark.

While we are evidently not allowed to sit in the Spark (let alone rap on the dashboard and check out interior materials and fits), we have been able able to open up the five-door and peer inside, and it appears to be surprisingly capacious for both front- and rear-seat passengers, and the cargo looks right-sized as well.

Better still, the roadgoing version of 2007's New York Auto Show star (then dubbed "Beat") promises to return 47 miles-per-gallon (U.S.) on the combined cycle while emitting less than 120 grams-per-kilometer of C02, regardless of whether the 66-horsepower, 1.0-liter four-cylinder or the 78-hp, 1.2-liter four-cylinder engine is fitted.

The Palexpo press preview doesn''t officially start until tomorrow, so consider the Spark galleries below (and the press release after the jump) to be a tasty amuse-bouche before the parade of Swiss delights that we will be bringing you over the next couple of days. Enjoy.

Source

Gallery

Geneva 2009: Bentley takes a tipple, Continental SuperSports goes FFV

[imglink]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/03/01-bentley-contin-ss_580op.jpg[/imglink]

Bentley claims that the new Continental Supersports is the fastest, most powerful production Bentley ever produced. But beyond raw power and speed, CEO Franz-Josef Paefgen said it was the beginning of a new era for Bentley. Paefgen declared that when this recession ends outstanding cars will be needed to lead the way. To that end the Continental Supersports program shaved 242 pounds off the big coupe, removed the back seat and bumped up the output to 621 hp. That's enough to push this big coupe to 204 mph top end and while passing through 60 mph in just 3.7 seconds.

The really big news is the addition of flex-fuel capability to the twin-turbo W12. Paefgen claims that fueling the Supersports on E85 can reduce well-to-wheel CO2 emissions by up to 70%. Of course that figure would be commensurate with using cellulosic ethanol which is currently available... no where. Paefgen announced that between now and 2012 all Bentley's will get flex-fuel capability and in that year an all new powertrain will be introduced. Paefgen did acknowledge that E85 capability is simply a stepping stone to future technologies like plug-in hybrids start to make a dent over the next decade. [/left]

Source

Gallery

Geneva 2009: Rinspeed's Abarth-based E2 concept

[imglink]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/03/03-rinspeed-e2-live_580op.jpg[/imglink]

Usually one concept is enough to put Rinspeed on the map here at its home-turf Geneva Motor Show, but this year the quirky Swiss coachbuilder doubled down with a modified Fiat 500 that hugs the road and the planet at the same time. Joining the innovative iChange on its show stand, the Rinspeed E2 starts with the hot Abarth version instead of the standard Cinquecento, tuned it to squeeze out both extra power and extra economy thanks to a dual-mode engine management system. Painted the same shade of metallic orange as the iChange concepet, the E2 may not be quite as attention-grabbing, but extra power without the penalty is a trend we could get used to all too easily.

Source

Gallery

The only things that interest me there are the Bentley, the Abarth and the new Polo. That Chevy is really ugly. And the Ferrari doesn't interest me. As for the others, nothing really catches my eye. If i had to buy one it would be the Polo haha.

Jesus Christ, the only familiar part from Koenigsegg is the side mirror...why...why...:cry: Why solar electric car, what`s wrong...:(

Geneva 2009: Rolls-Royce 200EX proves that downsizing is relative

[imglink]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/03/01-rolls-royce-200ex-live_580op.jpg[/imglink]

In this economic climate, nobody is immune. But everything is relative. Rolls-Royce may continue to set sales records, but even they're downsizing... sorta. Rolls' answer to a shrinking economy is a smaller model, but at 212.6 inches long, it's the 200EX is still bigger than most luxury sedans roaming the roads. And it still looks every bit as deserving of the Spirit of Ecstasy hood ornament adorning its streamlined, brushed aluminum nose as the larger Phantom range. When the 200EX enters production, it'll lose the traditional Rolls showcar nameplate in favor of something like Silver Cloud, and it'll still command a prime spot in the valet lot at the yacht club, but don't take our word for it.

Source

Gallery

Geneva 2009: Apollo Oh, No - Latest Gumpert is one Raging Smurf

[imglink]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/03/gumpert-apollo-speed-580.jpg[/imglink]

Despite its massive performance credentials, the Gumpert Apollo has endured more than a few knocks for its extreme form-over-function design. After seeing the new, more powerful Apollo Speed in the flesh, we can report that the naysayers are likely to keep jawing, particularly given this car's Raging Smurf two-tone paint.

The renovated Gumpert is lower and meaner, with the buyer's choice of 650-, 700-, or 800- horsepower specification, along with revised aerodynamics, new taillamps, and ultra-aerodynamic disc wheel covers. Inside, there are different four-point seat harnesses, a detachable steering wheel, and a two-tone interior loaded with blue Alcantara.

Given that the new Speed can run to 60 miles-per-hour in three seconds dead, hit 124 mph in 8.9 clicks, and storm to a top whack of 224 mph, however, we suspect that Gumpert owners will at least take a measure of comfort in knowing that they can outrun all hecklers.

Source

Gallery

Geneva 2009: Bleu Centenaire is every bit as special as any other Bugatti Veyron

[imglink]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/03/bugatti-blue-centenaire-live_580.jpg[/imglink]

Given the level of bespoke specification that is part-and-parcel with the Bugatti Veyron ordering experience, we doubt there have ever been two identical cars built. As such, each example is something of a one-off, and by this rationale, the Bleu Centenaire is, paradoxically, just another Veyron.

Pre-show rumors of a massive power infusion and a stratospheric 270 mile-per-hour vMax have proven to be utterly unfounded, as the BC's drivetrain is standard Veyron fare. The changes, then, essentially amount to cosmetic paint-and-trim, but to be fair, the Blue Centenaire does look quite fetching in its mix of matte and glossy blue paint.

Sadly, however, any reclaiming of the top speed title from Shelby SuperCars will evidently have to wait.

Source

Gallery

THAT`S NOT A SUPERCAR. It has the back bumps of the Carrera GT. Back lights of GTbyCitroen, rims of Merc Ocean Drive...I`m begging you, Koenigsegg Automotive, don`t ruin your reputation, don`t stop the madness, don`t make me feel bad for being you fan...don`t make the Quant...

OK time for some comments ...

One-77 - as I said in the other thread with the 'Lagonda' I don't like the One-77 ... too fussy styling for an Aston

Ampera - well I was hoping GM was going to sell the Volt outside the US (it's also recently been shown as a Holden too) ... and I like the styling of the Opel/Vauxhall ... I'd have to have it badged an Opel myself tho

Polo - <yawn> bland VW evolution of the design

599XX - Mad development project ... can't be taken serious tho as it's a 'development project' and not a 'proper' car

Duster - seems strange for something like this to come from the 'cheap eastern euro' devision of Renault (no insult intended for any Eastern European members of the forum) as normally the kind of vehicles designed are 'stripped' down versions of more expensive Western Euro boxes ... but it does look interesting

Spark - Chevy go and chat to Fiat/Ford/Renault/Peugeot/etc about how to style small cars

Continental Supersports - stripped out Conti GT with more power and lots of carbon and only 2 seats ... Hell yeah, I'd buy one if I could afford it ... oh here's a pic of the interior

Rinspeed Abarth - leave it to the Abarth SS please

Quant - Well I guess we needed another ugly 4 seater expensive electric car as obviously the Fisker Karma isn't enough ... thank heavens this is only a concept at the moment

200EX - It's OK but sorry I'd rather have a Conti GT or an Arnage/Brooklands

Gumpert - <cough> racecar <cough>

Veyron - OK it's in a new colour ... big deal ... still love the car tho

It was the Top Speed holder.

But...

The SSC tope speed is like 261 or 263 or something like that which if faster than the Veyron's 253. The new Veyron, however, has increased the horsepower rating from 1001 all the wya up to 1385 or something close to that. This also increases the torque level. Bugatti has guaranteed a top speed of at least 270mph, but has not yet confirmed that actual top speed.

Lol yeah ya got me there.

I don't like the Veyron, but I do respect any car that can go that fast and still look moderately good.

However, I'm curious to see if SSC is going to make a new version of the Ultimate Aero TT once it actually is de-throned by the new Veyron. That could go on forever, those two companies going back and forth.

Lol yeah ya got me there.

I don't like the Veyron, but I do respect any car that can go that fast and still look moderately good.

However, I'm curious to see if SSC is going to make a new version of the Ultimate Aero TT once it actually is de-throned by the new Veyron. That could go on forever, those two companies going back and forth.

What I pray for more is that Koenigsegg make faster car than both of them...:bow: Maybe they should try a V12 or something? :cheeky: