We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

TheScottishSpotter's Photography Topic! *Update : 10/07/09 !*

The Queen

Oh back to the Lamborghini shot, was this the one where he raised the vents for you?

Great shot of the Bentley too, rims have some awesome, fuzzy look to them to show that they're moving but still have some detail on them

Yeah it was, just for taking photos! :D

And thanks for the comment Mark. ;)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the panning here, and all other technical aspects of the photo are top-notch, but a big problem here is the silver car just behind the Bentley. Very distracting when your eyes fall onto the back of the car.

Otherwise, as said before, panning is excellent. I esp love how you can still make out the wheel spokes and clearly see the "B" emblem in the middle. Brilliant depth of field as well. What shutter speed and aperture did you use?

Thanks spoon. Yeah I occassionally travel to Edinburgh by bus and go there for a day to have a walk and take some pictures, both of buildings etc.. and of course cars. ;)

Love the panning here, and all other technical aspects of the photo are top-notch, but a big problem here is the silver car just behind the Bentley. Very distracting when your eyes fall onto the back of the car.

Otherwise, as said before, panning is excellent. I esp love how you can still make out the wheel spokes and clearly see the "B" emblem in the middle. Brilliant depth of field as well. What shutter speed and aperture did you use?

Now that I look at it again, I agree with the cars behind the Bentley and that they are distracting. I did think about cloning them out but it's not really possible with the situation they are in and if it was possible it would either be really messy or it would be very difficult to do.

The photo was actually taken with my other, older camera, the Canon Powershot S3 IS, hence the camera icon present on my logo. Not a DSLR so not as easy to get a photo like this

I will admit, I did blur the background slightly to make the car pop out more so the F number will probably have changed in the EXIF data. I also radial blurred the wheels just a touch to make the car look like it was travelling slightly faster than it I captured it, although the car was going quite fast in the first place, you couldn't see it very well and I thought it deserved a slight blur. As for the Bentley emblem on the wheels, that was actually stationary in the first place with the original shot, so nothing has changed there. I did add some contrast and adjusted the curves and all the usual stuff to it also and overall, I am very pleased with the outcome!

------------------------------------

Heres one I took on Sunday when me and my dad went out for a trip in the car up towards Montrose.

We stopped off at various places including 'Lunan Bay' which was where this next shot was taken. Was an amazing day, the sun was shining and overall, was fantastic weather for taking photograph's!

I was looking around and saw this great spot of the sea and the beach right infront of me so I played around with different compositions and managed to get something. I then edited it in photoshop and got both a colour version and a black and white version.

I was thinking, maybe the sea is a little turquoise and looks like this was taken somewhere tropical but it's not too in your face although if anybody does find it distracting I can always make another version with the sea not as turquoisey!

#6 - Lunan Bay, located south of Montrose on the east coast of Scotland

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t270/TheScottishSpotter/LunanBaySmall12.jpg

#7 - Lunan Bay *B&W*

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t270/TheScottishSpotter/LunanBaySmall4.jpg

Comments and crits welcome.

Imo I prefer the colour version as the black and white one doesn't really do much for me but I decided to post it up anyway to see if anybody preferred it!

Nah B&W doesn't work for this sort of setting. Quite cool though that lone guy lying down at the bottom of the pic. I do like how you composed this shot with respect to all the people there...

As said as an edit in the first post I do agree that the B&W doesn't work. Not really much interest there whereas in the colour version the vibrant colours do stand out and make it an interesting composition.

But that "headland" of grass sorta is a little, imposing

I have to admit, I didn't think it was too "imposing" st first, but after looking a second time I think I agree. I could always clone it out or something although not sure if it would work as well. I could also crop it but I feel I would lose the subject in the picture, not sure why though.

It's actually not a headland, I think it's one of the sand dunes although would have to double check on that.

Thanks for the comments though guys, much appreciated! ;)

Thanks!

Right next image. ;)

#5 - Bentley Continental GT at the roundabout on George Street in Edinburgh

-pic-

As always comments and crits welcome. I tried to make a decent composition without losing too much of the background on this one. If I had cropped it more it would have looked bad.

Nice shot! I like it.

Only check your color balance on this one, it looks a bit green?

Could be the environment though.

I think you might be right. Well check and adjust it if needed. ;)

It's amazing what you pick up on and notice when people tell you about these things. Seriously I wouldn't have noticed half of these things if nobody had told me.

Again thanks for the crits and comments! ;)

Nice don't really like the black and the original image type thing.. Didn't you have more better images.. :cheeky:

Fair enough. I think I know which image you are on about but I must say, I like them both. :p

Anyway moving on. ;)

---------------------------

Here is the next photo I will be posting. It's a Porsche 997 Carrera Targa and I tried a panning shot of it as it passed me when I was in Edinburgh last year, so another shot from Edinburgh. :p

Just going to post up a normal colour version but you can let me know if you would like to see it in B&W or whatever but I do think it works well in colour.

#8 - Porsche 997 Targa

3447581578_34aaafe475_o.jpg

Here is the next photo I will be posting. It's a Porsche 997 Carrera Targa and I tried a panning shot of it as it passed me when I was in Edinburgh last year, so another shot from Edinburgh. :p

Just going to post up a normal colour version but you can let me know if you would like to see it in B&W or whatever but I do think it works well in colour.

Hmm. Not really into this one. I find it a bit to bright?

http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr282/VandaBlogs/Emoticon/bc.gif

i'm jealous. i can't get my photos as sharp as yours. :p

Just use smart sharpen and noise reduction and your photo's should be as sharp as mine. ;)

Hmm. Not really into this one. I find it a bit to bright?

Yeah now that I look again it is too bright but I can't really tone down any bright areas without ruining the look of the image.

Just reflection of the sun I guess.

Yea, there's something i can't pinpoint that isn't making me like that picture very much.

Please try and explain otherwise I don't know what your talking about. :p

http://i40.tinypic.com/mh8xf5.jpg

I tried something. Adjusted the levels and color saturation a bit.

Nice try. Don't like the rear lights having that stupid grey bit on them but you have reduced the glare etc.. to a good extent imo.

[mod edit:] Please do not quote images, thanks!

Guest RB26DETT
Just use smart sharpen and noise reduction and your photo's should be as sharp as mine. ;)

ohhh. i rarely post process any of my images, except for the ones i really like. well i can't atm as my laptop is dead and i'm using my sister's laptop which doesn't have PS. :p

ohhh. i rarely post process any of my images, except for the ones i really like. well i can't atm as my laptop is dead and i'm using my sister's laptop which doesn't have PS. :p

You should when you get a chance. I never used to do any post processing but now I do it with nearly every image I upload on the net. It has made a huge difference!

I'd just like to say i'm in LOVE with that Bentley shot on the 2nd page!:thumbsup:

Thanks mate, I really do love the end result myself also. ;)

-----------------------------

Ok, continuing on. I said I would upload an image every day so i'm gonna stick to my word. Haven't really had much time today hence why i'm doing it now.

Just edited this photo of the Arbroath Cliff's which is about 20 miles from here or so. Went there last last year in November and it was around the time the sun was starting to set, which was a great time to practice my skills.

Most of the photos I took turned out alright but they were in need of some post processing and the end result of this one really does make me smile.

#9 - Arbroath Cliff's, looking out into the North Sea.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t270/TheScottishSpotter/ArbroathCliffs1small1.jpg

As always comments and crits welcome. I think colour works wonders here especially the amazing contrast with the red of the rocks, green of the grass and the blue of the sea. ;)