We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

TheScottishSpotter's Photography Topic! *Update : 10/07/09 !*

The Queen

Right seeing as I enjoy editing photos and posting them up for you guys to see, it inspired me to make an actual topic dedicated to the photos I take whether it's landscape, automotive or other related.

I'm going to try and update this with a picture every day but failing that, it will be a picture every couple of days. Lets see if I can keep this up and heres the first contribution. ;)

As always comments and crits are welcome!

I also have a website and a flickr account where you can find various examples of photos I have taken

Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/thescottishspotter/

------------------------------------------

*If anybody wants high resolution's of any of the images, please PM me, stating the image number in the thread, thanks!*

#1 - Red Fox in the garden.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t270/TheScottishSpotter/IMG_5746edit3.jpg

Index to images

----------------

#1 - Red Fox in the garden.

#2 - Lamborghini LP640 spotted on George Street in Edinburgh.

#3 - Lamborghini LP640 spotted on George Street in Edinburgh. (B&W Version)

#4 - Lamborghini LP640 parked in George Street in Edinburgh. (Selective Colouring version)

#5 - Bentley Continental GT at the roundabout on George Street in Edinburgh.

#6 - Lunan Bay, located south of Montrose on the east coast of Scotland.

#7 - Lunan Bay. *B&W*

#8 - Porsche 997 Targa.

#9 - Arbroath Cliff's, overlooking the North Sea.

#10 - Innovate Logistics Lorry passing through Perth City Centre.

#11 - Mercedes SL55 AMG parked up, St Andrews.

#12 - Maserati Tipo 61 Birdcage by CMC Modelle

#13 - Lamborghini Diablo 6.0 Litre and Furby! - Selective Colouring

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit of constructive criticism... The colours of the leaves and the fox's fur are too similar. That plus the sharpness of the photo make it difficult to differentiate which is which. On the other hand though, composition and exposure are pretty good

Thanks Car Freak. This is what I like to hear from people, so I can do better with the next one I post up etc..

I see what you mean about the main subject being sharp but, the background is also sharp. Didn't notice that actually so thanks for telling me. I think my aperature was too high hence there not being much of a difference. Need to learn a bit more about aperature etc.. also as it's not quite sunk in yet. :p

Thanks for the comments! ;)

A bit of constructive criticism... The colours of the leaves and the fox's fur are too similar. That plus the sharpness of the photo make it difficult to differentiate which is which. On the other hand though, composition and exposure are pretty good

You could 'try' his other edit:

Dunno if I should be posting this David, I will remove it if you don't want it seen ... :-/

You could 'try' his other edit:

Dunno if I should be posting this David, I will remove it if you don't want it seen ... :-/

Nah it's cool. I uploaded quite a few and forgot to delete the others. I actually think your right about that though but I did think at the time that the photo needed more contrast but maybe it was fine as was.

Anyway offtopic a little bit but

What are the chances of having a wild fox wander into your yard? I mean, i would love for a small, relatively harmless animal to wander into my yard but is it common where you are?

Yeah, he comes round quite a bit. Obviously thinks that coming here to eat seeds and stuff is easier than fending for himself. :D

Will update this topic with another photo today.

Btw just a thought, does anyone think it would be ok for me to post more than one photo each day or you think one photo is enough? :p

I believe the rules say something along the lines of it being ok if it relates to the forum matter, and as this a photography subsection of the forum, it should be fine in my opinion.

EDIT: Actually that's about putting it in your sig, so feel free to do that, you need permission to put it in a post, which I'm not sure I can give, so wait for an admin to say something :)

Right here we go with the next photos. ;)

I've done two versions of this LP640 shot as I can't decide which one I prefer so will let you choose.

Again, comments and crits welcome. ;)

#2 - Lamborghini LP640 spotted on George Street in Edinburgh

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t270/TheScottishSpotter/LamborghiniLP640Whitev1small1.jpg

#3 - Lamborghini LP640 spotted on George Street in Edinburgh (B&W Version)

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t270/TheScottishSpotter/LamborghiniLP640WhiteDesatv1small1.jpg

i've always wanted to do a nice B&W shot, but every picture that I take then transform to B&W in post-processing always leaves something lacking, though I think yours works here because the car is white. IMO, for B&W shots you need more contrast though and possibly a bit of vignetting (for those who don't know the term, it's basically darkening the edges of the photo to emphasise the subject of the shot).

As it is though, I think I like the first one better cos of the slightly warm tinge to the car's paint. The green and brown on the top right are kinda distracting though... Maybe a slight crop? But then that would cut out part of the "sale"...

Oh, and NOFAIR!YOUGETTOSEEALAMBORGHINI!!!

i've always wanted to do a nice B&W shot, but every picture that I take then transform to B&W in post-processing always leaves something lacking, though I think yours works here because the car is white. IMO, for B&W shots you need more contrast though and possibly a bit of vignetting (for those who don't know the term, it's basically darkening the edges of the photo to emphasise the subject of the shot).

As it is though, I think I like the first one better cos of the slightly warm tinge to the car's paint. The green and brown on the top right are kinda distracting though... Maybe a slight crop? But then that would cut out part of the "sale"...

Send the photo you want B&W through PM and i'll try to get something out of it for you;)

@ Scottie: What an amazing photo! Really nice! I'd rep you if i could.

Again thanks for the crits Car Freak, much appreciated!

As for your comment about the B&W shot, yeah I do see where you're coming from. I can easilly add vignetting and I also agree about the warm white which can be seen with the normal image.

As for the "sale" bit, I actually thought that was quite a nice thing for the photo although i'm thinking about doing a selective coloured version so the car is normal but the background is B&W so that it is not too distracting for the image.

And as for seeing the car, does it make you feel better than the guy was extremely friendly and even stopped by me? He saw that I was taking pictures, and asked me if I wanted him to stop so I could take some more and would I like to see the inside and the engine etc.. to which I replied "Yeah that would be great, thanks".

I probably even had a potential ride but didn't ask him because he seemed to be not in the mood for sticking around too long and I didn't want spoil the moment. ;)

oooh i like the b&w one. :)

I'd say I prefer the first one. Quite like the contrast it gives, and not really a fan of any photos in B&W.

P.S. Great photo :D

Send the photo you want B&W through PM and i'll try to get something out of it for you;)

@ Scottie: What an amazing photo! Really nice! I'd rep you if i could.

Brilliant pics TheScottishSpotter!

Thanks a lot for the comments guys. ;)

-----------------------------------

Right, I have done a selective colouring version of the LP640 photo. I think it looks much better with both photos combined. What do you lot think?

#4 - Lamborghini LP640 parked in George Street in Edinburgh

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t270/TheScottishSpotter/LP640SmallSelective.jpg

Thanks!

Right next image. ;)

#5 - Bentley Continental GT at the roundabout on George Street in Edinburgh

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t270/TheScottishSpotter/BentleyContinentalGTBlack2small.jpg

As always comments and crits welcome. I tried to make a decent composition without losing too much of the background on this one. If I had cropped it more it would have looked bad.