We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

BMW M3 E46 sound mod

opaopapa

Finally here it is :thumbsup:

I made it get rid of that glitch on "slk_on_high" and "slk_off_high" sound files :excited:

Originally this isn't real M3 E46 sound but it's M3 E46 CSL sound.:rolleyes:

Here is link on video

Don't forget try out it in game;)

[ModMod Edit:] Please do not double post, use the edit button in future, thanks! If you need to attach a file, please alert a member of staff and they will assist you without causing a double post.

[ModMod Edit #2:] Please do not remove a staff member's edit, if you have any queries or problems, please do not hesitate to contact them via the PM system, thanks!

Ok,few quick tips for you. I don't know if you're tone deaf(not an insult,some people just are),but your progression through the samples low-mid-high is all messed up pitch-wise. To give you a simple example,normal engine pitch should go smoothly and uninterrupted through the RPMs ,so let's represent that with ascending row of numbers ie. (low)12345(mid)678910(high)1112131415

Now,yours go something like this (low)12345(mid)34567(high)56789

I've seen this many times when people do the sound mods,so this is just a heads up.;)

btw.samples alone are not bad quality(not great either;)),so you could make a solid mod with it.:) +you could put the same samples on their "off" counterparts,so that there isn't such a volume difference between the on and off. Good luck!:D

thanks man sounds cool

thx, I really apperciate your comment, cuz it's very good feeling when some1 like's my mod:excited:

Ok,few quick tips for you. I don't know if you're tone deaf(not an insult,some people just are),but your progression through the samples low-mid-high is all messed up pitch-wise. To give you a simple example,normal engine pitch should go smoothly and uninterrupted through the RPMs ,so let's represent that with ascending row of numbers ie. (low)12345(mid)678910(high)1112131415

Now,yours go something like this (low)12345(mid)34567(high)56789

I've seen this many times when people do the sound mods,so this is just a heads up.;)

btw.samples alone are not bad quality(not great either;)),so you could make a solid mod with it.:) +you could put the same samples on their "off" counterparts,so that there isn't such a volume difference between the on and off. Good luck!:D

BIG TNX to your comment Skepsis, but I don't make those sound files myself, ppl from nogripracing.net does (GTR2 forum)

I got permissions to convert their sounds from GTR2 to TDU so It's not my fault if their samples are a bit wrong for TDU, but btw these samples sounds great on GTR2 + they are Stereo not like TDU's mono ( not even dual mono :D ) so converting them from Stereo to mono is a bit hard to do, cuz no1 answers to my requests for helping on sound modding:lol: sad for me;)

Skepsis, I really love your sceptic comments cuz they HELP rather than those "wow it's cool" comments me improve my sound mods, like it was with RS4, like u said there was glitches and now by reading your comments I improved them without glitches. I think same will be with this BMW M3 E46 with CSL engine sound, I'll see what I can do to imrove it, wait for next realease ;)

Thank you all for your comments ppl :thumbsup:

[mod edit:] Please do not double post and stop removing mod edits, thanks!

I supposed it were gtr samples,but you didn't understand me. The samples are not the problem(depends how you look at it),it's you.;) You can't just put gtr's low mid high samples to any car's low mid high samples in tdu(and you obviously did just that),they have to be correct in pitch so one can follow the other seamlessly! you have to listen to the original tone of the samples and transpose the new samples to those tones or it will sound like it does now,wrong. I mean,when you get that,you'll understand you don't have to allways synch the new ones to old ones exactly(they can all be EQUALLY higher or lower),but you have to know precisely what tonal difference there is between the low-mid-high so you can adjust the new samples acordinglly. Uf...gotta run now! Good luck again!;)

I supposed it were gtr samples,but you didn't understand me. The samples are not the problem(depends how you look at it),it's you.;) You can't just put gtr's low mid high samples to any car's low mid high samples in tdu(and you obviously did just that),they have to be correct in pitch so one can follow the other seamlessly! you have to listen to the original tone of the samples and transpose the new samples to those tones or it will sound like it does now,wrong. I mean,when you get that,you'll understand you don't have to allways synch the new ones to old ones exactly(they can all be EQUALLY higher or lower),but you have to know precisely what tonal difference there is between the low-mid-high so you can adjust the new samples acordinglly. Uf...gotta run now! Good luck again!;)

yes, I fully agree to you, but I don't get it about "pitch" thing because firstly I don't know what this word means cuz English isn't my mother language and, yes I've seen in audacity option somethin like "pitch" but if I don't know what it is I better don't use it :D can you please give me some tip how to match "low and high rpm's" with that "pitch" ? please? or maybe, if not hard, some short tutorial? :rolleyes: I'll apperciate it:thumbsup:

True.

Modding sounds for TDU is clearly not just a "copy and paste" matter. That may ask hours of work to adjust samples.

So good luck

agreed to you too, cuz I understand that it isnt just a "copy and paste" lol even with copy and paste it can take up to 3 hours to make it at least good sound mod

yes, I fully agree to you, but I don't get it about "pitch" thing because firstly I don't know what this word means cuz English isn't my mother language and, yes I've seen in audacity option somethin like "pitch" but if I don't know what it is I better don't use it :D can you please give me some tip how to match "low and high rpm's" with that "pitch" ? please? or maybe, if not hard, some short tutorial? :rolleyes: I'll apperciate it:thumbsup:

Well,I'm Croatian,so I struggle a bit too when I'm trying to explain something in English!;) Pitch means the perceived "height" of the sound and it can be expressed in Hertz or tones for example,so basically,you need to listen to original sample,ie onhigh, and compare it to the new one. If the new one sounds higher,you have to lower it by pitch shifting,in audacity "change pitch" option. you select the wave,then click change pitch option,in the window that opens you have the possibility to change the pitch by tones,Hertz or percentage and you have a preview button so you can hear straight away how it sounds. So, you've selected the new part which loops(shift+play) nicely without glitches and you've selected pitch change,then you can open from outside with your regular "windows recorder"(for example) little program the original onhigh sample so you can keep comparing it to the new one you're making until they sound like the same tone and when that's done,just export it in the proper wav format and repeat that for mid,low,idle too and that's it.:cool: Probably.:cheeky:;)

And yeah,sound modding certainly isn't easy and there are nuances between good sound and a great one,and you have to have ear for it.:)

Also,it's not like 3D modeling where you have a huge database of models online, there's only a couple of games that you can borrow:cool: the sounds from,they are mostly coded so you can't use them,but have to resort to some fishy techniques like recording it from windows while you try to keep the steady rpms so you can have usable samples for editing later...it's a big subject and I've been typing this for too long now:cheeky:,so I hope I helped you...others could chip in too you know:nanananana:;).

p.s. I wish there was a sound database with quality samples for all sorts of cars with steady samples recorded for every thousand RPM...ahh...you know,when you know what you're doing,it's just down to quality of your samples,so if we had such a database with quality samples,it would be a breeze to make quality soundmods!:D If someone has some ideas,let's hear them!(and please no links to youtube videos of someone revving the "x" car,that's useless,thx.)

Well,I'm Croatian,so I struggle a bit too when I'm trying to explain something in English!;) Pitch means the perceived "height" of the sound and it can be expressed in Hertz or tones for example,so basically,you need to listen to original sample,ie onhigh, and compare it to the new one. If the new one sounds higher,you have to lower it by pitch shifting,in audacity "change pitch" option. you select the wave,then click change pitch option,in the window that opens you have the possibility to change the pitch by tones,Hertz or percentage and you have a preview button so you can hear straight away how it sounds. So, you've selected the new part which loops(shift+play) nicely without glitches and you've selected pitch change,then you can open from outside with your regular "windows recorder"(for example) little program the original onhigh sample so you can keep comparing it to the new one you're making until they sound like the same tone and when that's done,just export it in the proper wav format and repeat that for mid,low,idle too and that's it.:cool: Probably.:cheeky:;)

And yeah,sound modding certainly isn't easy and there are nuances between good sound and a great one,and you have to have ear for it.:)

Also,it's not like 3D modeling where you have a huge database of models online, there's only a couple of games that you can borrow:cool: the sounds from,they are mostly coded so you can't use them,but have to resort to some fishy techniques like recording it from windows while you try to keep the steady rpms so you can have usable samples for editing later...it's a big subject and I've been typing this for too long now:cheeky:,so I hope I helped you...others could chip in too you know:nanananana:;).

p.s. I wish there was a sound database with quality samples for all sorts of cars with steady samples recorded for every thousand RPM...ahh...you know,when you know what you're doing,it's just down to quality of your samples,so if we had such a database with quality samples,it would be a breeze to make quality soundmods!:D If someone has some ideas,let's hear them!(and please no links to youtube videos of someone revving the "x" car,that's useless,thx.)

very well axplained, now I just need a time for it :lol: I'll try make my sound mods for RS4 and M3 better and try to get them till next weekend :)

thank you very much :thumbsup:

Skepsis, what if I had a youtube video of the car idleing, revving, and then moving by, will that be useful?

From my understanding, you'd need a sample holding at a certain speed.

Its not like GTA:SA where you can record a car going up to the redline, TDU needs somewhere like 8 different samples to put together a soundfile.

HighOn/off, MedOn/off, Low On/off, Starter and something else If my memory serves me correctly

@ Danger Sponge

You're right mate, you need start up sound,idling sound and then low-mid-high revs(steady-flat-loops of say,5 seconds(the more the better)) on and off sounds,although sometimes there's even very high,but on the other hand you can use the on sounds as off sounds(little quieter) to keep it simple.;)

Ideally,(fantasy mode on:D)the sound should be recorded on a dyno(rollers),because if it's recorded in neutral,with no load,it sounds flat and lacks grunt and real caracter. That's why Gran Turismo's engines always sounded underwhelming(it got a little better in gt5 prologue but...)unlike at least 5 last NFS titles which weren't that good as games ,but those engine sounds are definnately in top 3 ever in gaming(I tryed a lot of games in my time,since commodore 64:cheeky: onwards)! As for youtube videos,they could be used for sound samples(as any other sound source could), but since you need steady samples at as much rpms as possible,with a minimum of extra noise, youtube videos 99% of the time fail(start up and idle sounds are easier to find though)!

One interesting thing I've found is that some sound samples from gtr2 and tdu are identical which leeds me to believe that there is a third party firm doing these recordings and then selling it to gaming studios. I wish I could get my hands on those dvds!:twisted:hehehe btw. in gtr2 the samples were in standard wav format which you could use with no problem,but from the last one(gtr evolution)wav files got coded(damn!),so I had to do my own virtual recording sessions:D,which went something like this. I would rename all the folders which contained any other sounds other than engines,so they don't get in the way,and then choose a car I liked the sound of,and then record steady samples on the nuerburgring nordschleife's long straight by sticking it in 3rd gear for example(momo wheel)and then flooring the gas pedal while dosing the rpms with the brake pedal all the while recording this from windows!:lol: Ok,I ment to write a short messagge and now look what it turned into,and my girl is starting to protest from the bad,so...duty calls!:D

Until next time,CYA!

p.s.probably :badspelling::)