We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Renault Kangoo. Don't Buy One.

Speedtouch

Well I took a few photos of the car I get to drive, so I thought I'd post them.

Its a 1999 Renault Kangoo 1.4 RXE.

My parents bought it brand new ten years ago (its a V plate for those that understand :p), and its taken my mum to work ever since. We bought it as a second car (the first being my dad's company car, which was a Saab then an Audi) but then my dad lost his job, so it became our only car. So it does a lot of miles now.

Except we don't actually know how many, because the screen with the mileometer on is broken and has been for about 3 years.

And because of the circumstances we bought it (old car was very very close to dying - so we needed wheels fast) it may be one of the only Kangoos about without air con. And man it sucks to not have it.

I think the worst thing about it, is just the way it looks and feels. The plastics on the interior are horrible - just while driving it I find the steering wheel almost uncomfortable to hold. The seats (especially the back ones, which I've had to suffer in for the past 10 years) are very uncomfortable and quite hard, so can give you a numb bum when on very long journeys.

It does have plenty of space in it. Headroom that is, though. It is very tall (when we bought it I could stand up on the seats without my head touching the roof), but very thin. So it does lean quite a bit.

The driving position is weird - you sit surprisingly high up, and very upright. The gear lever is seemingly miles away meaning you have to actually lean forward to change gear. The clutch weighs a tonne, and the gearbox is clunky, loose and inaccurate (it is 10 years old...).

However it ain't actually that bad to drive. Its quite chuckable (even if it does lean a lot) and the steering gives a good amount of feel back.

But don't try and go fast - it doesn't. I've tried 0-60 and it was around about 25-30 seconds. If you are following a lorry in 5th at about 55mph, then go to overtake, be prepared for a wait. Floor it and it'll take a good 10 seconds to reach 70.

nfh2dj.jpg

2a77uxc.jpg

24v7bcn.jpg

2610lf8.jpg

Overall opinion? Its a van. Sure you get plenty of space for a very small wheelbase, but its slow, clunky, and looks like a van. Don't bother

It look's in very good condition for the age of the thing though, i see around 10 kangoo's daily in my village, they are very popular over here, and it just goes to show that they last :)

Also its 10 years old now, could'nt you get it scrapped and put the 2000 towards something you'd much more prefer to drive?

^^ We could in December, yes. But the problem lies elsewhere. My parent's can't afford a new car. Not even something used.

Its not a fun life, one without change, you know. When nothing has happened in your life for 10 years, everything gets boring. And everything else becomes a dream.

It is in quite good condition, but thats simply because we've owned it from new, and we are all good drivers. No scratches worth talking about, no dents. But mechanically it isn't as good. Just french build quality and ten years' of wear means it had quite a bit of money spent on it the other week.

^ It hasn't actually been to the NürburgRing. In fact, it has only ever been as far as north France. We went to Germany in our old Audi, which was (linking in with my comment above), one of the best cars I've ever been in.

Thanks for backing up my reason to never buy any French vehicle. I hate them. Sorry French members, but I do.

Last French car my dad owned was a Citroen ZX Volcane 1.9 TD, the exact car we had was featured in a magazine just before it was released, I remembered the number plate. It was good enough, for a while, then my dad got wise and traded it in for a VW Golf GL TDI, the most reliable and immaculate car he's ever owned, seriously, not a scratch or dent on it.

The Citroen managed to take on 5 rouge sheep at once and come out with only a scratch though.

Most of the things you dislike about the car comes from what it used to be before they made a car version of it and thats it was a van. The upside of this is that it will take alot of wear and tear and do you well.

Not a bad little motor and I know what you mean about having to boot it when you want to overtake, my berlingo does the same. It must be because they are French :p

^^ We could in December, yes. But the problem lies elsewhere. My parent's can't afford a new car. Not even something used.

Its not a fun life, one without change, you know. When nothing has happened in your life for 10 years, everything gets boring. And everything else becomes a dream.

Where I live, it is quite possible to get a ~1990 MB E-class, Volkswagen Passat, Audi 80, etc. or some Japanese car for about 600 euro. Don't know about the UK though.

^ The last red car my parents had was back in 2002... What made you think it was red?

Where I live, it is quite possible to get a ~1990 MB E-class, Volkswagen Passat, Audi 80, etc. or some Japanese car for about 600 euro. Don't know about the UK though.

Yeah, but remember here in the UK we get raped by the insurance. Insuring me, a new driver, on something like that would cost too much.

What's the point of insuring an old car that doesn't cost too much?

Depending on what you insure it on, it could potentially save your wallet if you accidentally hit someone with the car and you've got to pay for their medical bills

I don't know where you're from, but in the UK we have to have car insurance by law. And an old, run down car will probably cost more to insure than a brand new one.

This is pure nonsense. In Estonia, where I live, if you want to buy a car (be it old or new) it is necessary to order a "common insurance", which will help you in the case of a road accident. Hijacking, arson attacks, etc don't count. This type of insurance costs about 150 euro. Another type of insurance (casco) costs a couple thousand euros per year (depending on car price and engine capacity) and it insures your car against any accidents.