We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Top Ten Future Classics

iLLGT3

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

R8: Potentially.

BMW Z8: I hate it, but it's quirky. I'd say yes.

Cadillac CTS-V: No. It's good but it doesn't have the makings of a classic.

Corvette ZR-1: Fantastic car. It's a remake though, maybe.

Dodge Magnum: Oh really? Next.

Dodge Viper ACR: The ZR-1 is more likely to be a classic than this. No.

Ford GT: No, it's already the remake of a classic duh.

Honda S2000 CR: What?

Porsche Carrera GT: Yes, undoubtedly.

Toyota Prius: It will be remembered. Doesn't make it classic.

Honestly not a great list.

Couldn't agree more

Note, How all the European cars according to him are classic's. But every american was isn't, besides the ZR-1 which was "maybe". Euro Bias much? Also, I have also figured out why the Prius is on that list. Its because it was the first decent hybrid people actually could buy. Also, the Magnum was on that list, because it was rare, and the people that bought them are most likey going to make alot of money on it because of the reason above, and because it was seriously quick.

Lol, I have no bias. It's just a rubbish list. For example the ACR is a fast powerhouse but is it a classic? No. I don't believe the R8 has what it really takes to be a classic either but couldn't draw myself either way.

When you think of American classic you think of the old Impala's and Stingrays, not a large V8 estate car. There is nothing really that great and unique emanating from the crippled US automotive industry. The Ford GT, it's not a classic, the original was. The ZR-1? It's a remake.. you see the trend. The CTS-V a classic? No, in the same way the C63 Mercedes isn't.

Not my fault that America isn't building anything truly classic worthy in this era, nor is it my fault the list was poorly compiled.

For something to be classic it's got to really stand out from everything around it. It has to be remembered, will people remember the S2000 in 20 years time and think it was classic? I doubt it.

I think that's why most of the cars in the list were chosen. The Prius will be known/remembered for being 'green'. But that's doesn't make it a classic.

There's possibly two or maybe even three in that list I'd consider a future classic. Those being the Carrera GT and Z8.

Lol, I have no bias. It's just a rubbish list. For example the ACR is a fast powerhouse but is it a classic?

Yes! Its has a unique design, its well reconized, a true american symbol and its one of the best modern muscle cars ever, BOORAH! :monkeydance::bananajump::bananadance::bparty:

Note, How all the European cars according to him are classic's. But every american was isn't, besides the ZR-1 which was "maybe". Euro Bias much? Also, I have also figured out why the Prius is on that list. Its because it was the first decent hybrid people actually could buy. Also, the Magnum was on that list, because it was rare, and the people that bought them are most likey going to make alot of money on it because of the reason above, and because it was seriously quick.

His opinion wasn't biased, there was simply no decent American representation there. I do believe the Magnum will make a classic. But none of the others will. The ZR1 is a remake. The CTS is stupid fast, but it's not a car that is going out of production anytime soon and they sell alot of them. The Ford GT is already a classic from the 60s. And the Dodge Viper just doesn't have what it takes to be a classic.

I have to say, I think the viper is worthy as a classic, due to the fact it's an original car that's genuinely good, and for it's time, fresh

today the ford GT looks like the GT40, the mustang looks like the 60's one, the camaro look like the 60's one, the challenger looks like the 70's one. some may call this 'reinventing a classic' i just call it friggin lazy design.

Jaguar and Rover both tried this, to make their cars look like they were from the 60's and were both slammed for it. subtley changing an old design to make it look modern in an attempt to make people go misty eyed is just a way to latch onto sales from people that had the posters on the wall when they were kids. sometimes the results can be cool (Fiat 500) but they will never be true classics...

back to my point, the viper will be remembered as a classic considering it is still new, and the design is positively progressing as the years roll by, with the ACR a landmark in performance

This list, like many other articles I found on MSN's auto page after a cursory search, smells tampered-with. The ACR won't be a classic, but the Viper (base) probably will. Prius? As much as the '93 Ford Taurus (see Onion News) or older Camry, or any other econobox! S2000 CR - see Viper ACR, because the limited model isn't that impressive of a jump.

All in all, this list - in many ways - seems to focus on either newly-incoming models or soon-to-leave models.

I'd add the G8 to the list, mostly because they're going to sink into place in history as simply a short-lived, initially fortunate quirk of marketing, despite their commonplace nature in Australia as the Commodore. Also, the Nissan GTR deserves a spot on their list (yeah, I know, cliche at this point).

I'm afraid I'm with Prawn On The Cob (and of course, Balto) here, i really do think the Viper ACR has the makings of a future classic. As stated before, it's a fresh design, and, being the top-of-the-range model, is the most desirable.

The ZR1, has an inkling of a chance perhaps, if only because it's the first Corvette that can properly give a Lambo a bloody nose (search autocar.co.uk - ZR1 vs LP670). Problem with the 'Vette though is that it's not really groundbreaking in any way.

Audi R8, definitely will be a future classic: Being Audi's first proper supercar is one thing, but actually being bloody good just raises the bar a couple of notches. Again, it's a fresh concept (from Audi in any case), and being the flagship model with much better performance than everything else in the range, is once again the most desirable.

Same can't be said of the Ford GT and BMW Z8 though. Is it possible for a retro design to ever be a classic? If someone does it again in 40 years time, will it make that a retro-retro design? I'm not sure. If there is a chance of retro achieving classic status though, my money would be on the Z8, chiefly because it was a limited edition, and had screentime in a James Bond film.

CTS-V? Bah. Supersaloons have almost zero chance of being a classic unless 1) they were featured in a big-budget film (Audi S8 from Ronin perhaps), 2) they were the first of their kind (BMW E30 M3) or pushed the performance benchmark to absurd levels (Vauxhall Lotus Carlton). The CTS-V pushes none of those buttons.

Same for the Magnum. Like, wtf?

The Prius will be remembered, but like everyone said, probably won't be a classic. It's not revolutionary enough. It hasn't had a big enough impact on contemporary culture. It's not even universally liked. Yes, it is the granddaddy of the "green" movement, but since when has that sort of thing excited people?

Porsche Carrera GT: Probably will be a classic. Firstly, it's a hypercar, which obviously helps. Second, it's unique in being a mid-engined Porsche, and the h-a-l-o (stupid forum auto-censor) model no less. Third, it came out around the same time as the Enzo and McMerc SLR, so for most, they'll probably remember those cars together as the ones who kick-started the noughties' hypercar frenzy (of course resulting in such metal as the Veyron, Reventon, CCX, S7 etc)

Honda S2000? Maybe, just maybe. Came out during a dry spell in the roadster market, and could be credited as having kick-started the class again. Of course, it has a unique selling point, in the manic 9000rpm VTEC engine, as well as the digital tacho. We don't realise it now, because it's so common, but 20 years down the road, i do think we'll remember it really fondly

*whew* that was probably my longest post ever :p