We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

specs for building a car model. help appreciated

Nobby76

Hey guys. its come to that time... ive finally decided seeing as i have a few hundred car/bike models floating around my HDD that ive gathered over the years from either 3d communities or ive bought, its about time i had a go at putting a few into TDU

I'm hoping some modders could shed a little info on something for me please.

I know TDU is bound by certain limits on things like poly counts and file size but whenever ive seen these numbers on a post by someone they have never really been clear about some things..

for example i know the poly count for a car is around 50k- 70k poly's ( altho i saw someone say you could possibly take it to 100k ) but are those poly counts for the entire car model or just for the exterior?? then you can have say another 30k for the interior??

So what im after is if someone could give me a brief list of the different parts and there respective poly counts..

As far as i can tell its just Interior, Exterior and wheels ( if there are more separate parts could you list them and there recommended poly counts )

Also the maximum file size i read was around 3mb but again is that for the entire car or just for say the exterior?? so again if the main parts of the car ( interior, exterior etc ) have there own file size limits could you please list those..

And before some bright spark :lol: points out " But bought/payed for models will be way too high a poly count, you wont be able to use them " THAT really isnt an issue ( it shouldn't be an issue to anyone ) as most REAL 3d apps like 3ds max / lightwave 3d ( not Zmodeler as thats designed pretty much just for game models ) have the ability to reduce poly counts ( usually takes less than 2 minutes to reduce a model from 100k poly's to 50k poly's while still keeping most of the detail.) So reducing models to tdu levels really wont be a problem. I just need to know what those max poly counts should be so i can work the models to those numbers..

Any help you guys can give me on this will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers. Nobby

Guest turbo lag

I haven't got a proper reply ready but the thread title is a tad misleading, it sounds like you're after car specifications for TDU PE editing. I'm sure if you change it you will probably get some more views and replies...

Turbo lag. no im actually after the max poly counts for making car models and the max filesize of the finished models .

As i said before, i believe tool said it was around the 70,000 poly range, but the guy who made the Bugatti Atlantic said his model was around 100,000 poly's but had to sacrifice some textures to make it all work, which still suggests there are certain limits to how much detail you can mod. And i know a fair few of the car models being done are around the 40,000-60,000 range because ive pulled them into 3d apps and examined them myself. if there were no limits people would be making tdu cars with 200,000 polygons and upwards, which they are not.

So if someone like Tool, 2CV or one of the other big modders out there could just give me a few guide lines on how detailed i can make my models that would be great because then i can actually start work converting them from LWO to zmodeler

In case anyone was wondering LWO is Lightwave object ( lightwave 3d )

I'm not a model modder, but I've seen Tool say that TDU crashes if the exterior .bnk file exceeds 3MB. I'm not entirely sure about how it works, but that suggests to me that it's not the poly count itself that's important, but the amount of polys and textures there are in the finished thing. If that makes sense. :cheeky:

Like this: If you would use no textures at all, you could probably up the poly count on the model itself instead, and vice versa.

@ Summoned Cabbage yeah id thought id seen him say it was 3mb, but id also thought id seen him mention in one thread about max poly counts, but yes the two are tied together. less poly's = more textures and vice versa.

ive had to deal with that sorta thing before, when we ( our cg company ) had to do a job for the local water company, we had to make sure that each scene was less that 50mb as their system couldn't handle that high amount of polygons and textures ( they didn't really deal with cg stuff so they was just using a normal pc with the 3d app running on it )

Oh Summoned Cabbage any idea if that 3mb is just for the exterior model or for everything ( exterior, interior, rims )

@ Summoned Cabbage yeah id thought id seen him say it was 3mb, but id also thought id seen him mention in one thread about max poly counts, but yes the two are tied together. less poly's = more textures and vice versa.

ive had to deal with that sorta thing before, when we ( our cg company ) had to do a job for the local water company, we had to make sure that each scene was less that 50mb as their system couldn't handle that high amount of polygons and textures ( they didn't really deal with cg stuff so they was just using a normal pc with the 3d app running on it )

Oh Summoned Cabbage any idea if that 3mb is just for the exterior model or for everything ( exterior, interior, rims )

I think 3MB only applies to the exterior file. The interior files (with the _i at the end) are often all the way up to 6-7 MB big, but I suppose there might be a certain set limit for it aswell. Rim files are usually under 500kB, so I'm not sure about those either. ;)

Hopefully I will not write too many false things ....

First the magic.map doesn't remove the filesize-limits - it allows us to use different sizes, compared to the originals.

When we talk about 3MB Limit, the exterior.bnk is meant.

To keep the file under 3MB, you have to resize some textures.

In the past, Djey,tool and others have written about a 3dg-size-limit of 1MB.

Over 1MB your car get invisible in the garage. ---

BUT ... I and other modders have already used 3dg-files over 1MB.

I still have not 100% information, how it exactly works.

Exterior.3dg contains:

high poly model

low poly model

low poly interior

low poly shadow

So ... if 2cvsupergt is talking about over 100K polys (like here) - he means the entire 3dg file.

Rims and high-poly-interiors are in separate 3dg(&bnk)-files.

best regards

----

feel free to improve me ;)

AHHHHH Thank you so much Cabbage, ThunderHawk. That was the kinda info i was needing...

I think i can fit the car model i have well within those limits.. as a complete model in a proper 3d app the entire car ( as they dont usually have separate interior/ exterior ) comes to about 150k poly's on its highest sub patch level, so if im splitting the interior from the exterior i should be able to have each model well within that. plus the car only has a few textures, mainly for the dash and the seats (leather textures )

ooh before i forget. regarding the lowpoly models does the interior have to be a separate model from the exterior or can that all be one model ( i know its all within the main Exterior group ) but like the doors are separate and the low poly exterior is separate to the hi poly just in the same group.. I'd guess separates as thats how you listed them, but i thought i should ask.

And yeah that was the exact thread i saw 2cv talk about 100k + poly count. I knew i wasnt going crazy and HAD seen it :p ( altho i may still be crazy, thats undecided )

Right.. now i can start chopping up the model ready for import into Zmodeler. I got a nice model of a 1935 auburn 851 im gonna try working on.

B26474-2.jpg

i think you guys deserve a spot of Rep for helping me... Cheers again guys Greatly appreciated.

Nobby