We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Recommended upgrades for my pc

CLR-GTR

To get some more details, and at the same time preventing the Systemreq's topic to focus on me, I thought this would be better. :)

So as my speclist says I have this E6420 2.13GHz as CPU now and a 256MB 8600GTS, both which don't meet the requirements, although the CPU is just slightly short. As I really want TDU2, I'm going to look at upgrading this pc, which is a Dimension 9200. I read somewhere that the maximum resolution of the monitor also sort of depends which GPU's would do, my maximum resolution is 1680x1050, 20'' widescreen.

It's only CPU and GPU I'm worried about, sound always worked fine and I have about 3.25GB Ram to use (4GB but you know, Vista HP 32-bit...). I know it's hard to tell how and what as the game's not out yet, but what would you think be needed to run this game above medium?

I wouldn't really recommend upgrading a Dell, they usually aren't easy to upgrade. Also if you upgrade the CPU and graphics card you will need a new PSU which is also a problem in most Dells as they make you use Dell PSU.

If possible, you should look into building your own computer. You'll run into a lot less problems.

Also, don't upgrade yet if you're doing is solely for TDU, wait till you know when the beta is coming or wait till September. It will work out cheaper.

I know, I also won't be upgrading untill September (assuming Worst Case Scenario, that I won't be in the beta). I am not getting a console though, there's not really enough room for a second tv etc.

About upgrading Dells, that's what I hear more often. I don't think I'll already be changing pc again, but when this one goes I will look into building one myself.

About the CPU, I saw this topic a few days ago of a guy with the same pc as mine. He managed to replace his CPU with a better one without any trouble after applying a BIOS update from Dell. It would make the pc support about a dozen of extra CPU's and installing the new one wasn't a really tough job. That kind of gave me a bit of hope, but I already heared that would require a new PSU...

EDIT:

I also see this about GPU upgrading:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19243830.aspx

I know, I also won't be upgrading untill September (assuming Worst Case Scenario, that I won't be in the beta). I am not getting a console though, there's not really enough room for a second tv etc.

About upgrading Dells, that's what I hear more often. I don't think I'll already be changing pc again, but when this one goes I will look into building one myself.

About the CPU, I saw this topic a few days ago of a guy with the same pc as mine. He managed to replace his CPU with a better one without any trouble after applying a BIOS update from Dell. It would make the pc support about a dozen of extra CPU's and installing the new one wasn't a really tough job. That kind of gave me a bit of hope, but I already heared that would require a new PSU...

EDIT:

I also see this about GPU upgrading:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19243830.aspx

Okey. About the tv thingy you dont need another tv since you can simply connect xbox360/ps3 to almost any tv.

About the upgrading, yes its possible but you need to be sure it will work before you buy the expensive parts and dont forget to look if there's enough room in the case for a bigger card :)

Well, I had a Dimension 4600 and I was able to replace the PSU and processor and a whole bunch of other things. I don't know why everyone says upgrading factory computers is uber hard. When buying your PSU, just measure the size of your old psu and when you are buying the new one search for the dimensions of it. One problem:Opening the case of your computer may void your warrenty, so you should check on the status of it before doing anything.

So, if you do choose to upgrade the CPU, contact DELL. On their website somewhere there is an instant message help system. All you do is connect with some DELL technician, give them your serial number, and ask them what is the fastest processor your computer can handle. They will tell you the exact processors that will be compatible with your system. Make sure you get the "SSpec" number of the processor. Then, just copy and paste this number into any computer parts store and you will find the correct one for your computer.

The only problem with upgrading these computers is you will eventually reach your computer's limit (I can't think of any other way to phrase this, I hope you understand what I'm saying). You would have spent lots of money on your old computer, and you cannot make it any better. This money would have probably been better spent on a new one.

As Mellors says, try out the beta before dumping your wallet into your current computer. Consider the cost of buying a new PSU, processor, and graphics card. You'll probably spend at least $400 on parts, unless you are planning to buy from eBay (you'll definatly get a good deal on the PSU and processor there!) and/or settle for used parts. After you figure out how much it costs to upgrade your old computer, pretend you are going to build your new computer. Select the parts you would put into your new computer and total it. Compare the cost of your new computer to your upgrade and use this as one of your deciding factors.

Okey. About the tv thingy you dont need another tv since you can simply connect xbox360/ps3 to almost any tv.

About the upgrading, yes its possible but you need to be sure it will work before you buy the expensive parts and dont forget to look if there's enough room in the case for a bigger card :)

We have just two tv's: one utterly bad one on the cold attic which we basically never use, and the main tv in the livingroom. The livingroom is not an option, the whole setup is far away from any suitable for console-play (we don't have the ballrooms you always see in commercials :p), and my family wants to be able to watch tv while I game somewhere else. The bad tv is just not right, it'll be too small for proper gaming to start with.

I will look at how big those parts are before upgrading, and make sure there's enough room, that won't be such a problem.

@killalldude: I already opened the pc several times. We only had a 1-year warranty, and I already opened it for putting in that new 4GB ram, and because of the horrible internet-crunch we had recently *thought that a new networkcard might help*.

I understand that if I keep upgrading, I will eventually have to replace that much stuff that it basically becomes a new pc, but I won't be upgrading this pc that often.

Thanks about the tips for searching new parts and finding out what CPU fits on my pc. It's getting quite a bit more clear for me now :)