We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

NFS: Hot Pursuit Event Attended-Ask me about the game!

madpioneer

Attended the Austin NFS-HP Tour event and got some hands on time with a small slice of the game.

Fire away with your questions, and I'll try to give you some insight on it from my limited experience.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd16/madpioneer/Spyker.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd16/madpioneer/R8.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd16/madpioneer/DB9.jpg

Any sign of or word of the prancing horse making an appearance at a later date? It just isn't HP without an F50.

+1

Nice to see you attended the event. I guess they had the Spyker outside just for show and/or they couldn't find any other cars available that are included in the game. :p

The tour organizes with local car dealers to cordinate car showings.

Also there was a Maserati GT at the end of the row & I don't believe that car is in the game either.

They had a GT-R Nissan in Seacrest County police livery.

I just took these pics from the NFS site as I did not want to lug my camera to the event.

The handling of the cars in my opinion is a cross between PGR 4 & GRID.

The cars have weight to them & there is a difference between them that is physically felt.

Not majorly but it's there.

Acceleration turning, grip etc... Not anything like Gran Turismo or Forza not on that level.

It was a very small slice of the game only 4 different events were available.

One was a 6.8 mile 'pleasure cruise' in a Carrera GT not a race just you & the GT driving a few miles. Seeing that mode makes me think they may not have a totally 'freeroam' mode. But thats just from what I saw. Since it was a small slice the total freeroam mode may have not been available?

They did not offer you the chance to be cop & bust racers. Nor did they allow you a chance to drive the Reventon, Murc SV, CCX, CCXR, etc...

I think they want to leave those for when you actually get the game. Guess they did not want to spoil or reveal too much?

You get rear car view, close-up rear view, hood (bonnet), & bumper view NO CABIN VIEW!

Graphics are easily on par with Burnout Paradise, SHIFT, not as detailed as say Dirt 2 but a close second.

The cars do not have such high color contrast like in SHIFT (which in my opinion was too much) but look good with a good amount of polygons, they do not look plastic like at all.

Also no light bloom/flare which really annoys me in other games. You may like it but I do not. HP does not have it. Lighting is similiar to Dirt 2 in that respect.

I think the biggest gripe of the game would be the totally ridiculous rearview mirror.

I'm sorry I just don't get it?!

In Most Wanted & Carbon you see everything real world correct. HP has this mirror with vertical lines down it like defrost wires, all the environment reflects blue & any car in view is a yellow plastic looking toy? The only true color is the red & blue police lights.

Why they think the rearview should look like that is beyond me?

Thanks for that, some useful feedback. I'm surprised they didn't let you play the actual pursuit mode given that it's been the basis for all the trailers so far and is essentially what the game is about. Also I've been watching the Hot Pursuit On Tour features online (with the exception of San Diego which doesn't seem to exist) and they cut back and for between party and pursuit gameplay.. Lying EA.

A few more aspects of the game I forgot to share.

The few races that were offered it seemed a bit easy to knock out the Porsche Panamera Turbo Police cruiser. As you knock them out they get replaced by another.

It resembles Burnout Takedown in that respect. I think it may be a false confident booster. Because when the Pagani Cinque joins the pursuit it is much harder to take out.

So I think the Panamera are for sport early on in the race then they ramp things up.

A.I. plus the cops shunt, bump, smash you but not as bad as say GRID where in the narrow road races in that game the A.I. can be relentless.

I did notice in one race I was around 4th or 5th and was able to reach 3rd toward the finish line then two cars ahead wrecked each other then at an iron bridge the Lambo in front of me got caught on the railing and I flew by to take 1st. I thought maybe it might be like FUEL where the A.I. waits for you in the end, but after a few more races I realized it's just like GRID where A.I. makes mistakes and you still have to fight to get 1st.

Of course like most race games the AI flies off the start line leaving you behind & you spend the entire race trying to catch up all the while dodging cops shunting & smashing you.

The other odd thing about the game is the spike strips:

If you hit one your cars spins out then in a second your back on the road with new tires?

Nothing like Most Wanted or Carbon at all. In MW you could limp away sometimes but Carbon you are almost always busted after hitting spikes.

The one thing I did forget to mention also about the physics:

In most arcade type racers you hit the e-brake and get your car into a drift easily.

With HP it's not that easy. If you give it a full on e-brake your car spins into a 180.

One of the team members there told me to work with the brake & the e-brake.

So I tried slowing down some with the brake then tapping the e-brake and it was much easier to accomplish a drift or slide.

Even though it should only take you a few minutes into the game to master it, it's not the normal non-thinking e-brake style like say PGR3 or 4.

Not only do you get short bursts of Nitrous which you build up as you drive but also on the d-pad you have 'Turbo' when you push it it gives you a surge of speed for around 5 to 10 seconds then it is depleted and you have to build it up once again while driving. Nice to have when you need that extra boost right at the finish line when your having trouble catching up but why two means of speed boost? I guess it's a cue from the Burnout series.

I am not sure anything will be changed at this stage of the game as we are just over a month away from release. So I guess it is what it is, like it or not?

Sounds pretty much like I had expected, which imo is good. While it sounds like fun with the AI crashing it also sounds like it will go entirely the other way at the later stages of the game and screw you over until you're suitably infuriated.

I can't think of anything particularly wrong with the game, except how easy it is to knock out the Panamera cop cars (and to knock out racers, as seen in one of the more recent trailers). The spike strip also seems pretty lame - even less of a pursuit-ender than it was in Carbon (I once popped all 4 tyres on my Skyline and still managed to get away)

there was a Maserati GT at the end of the row & I don't believe that car is in the game either.

Just though i'd say, But the Maserati GT is in the game, in one of the videos you can see it in police colours! Though i'd say!:cool:

Also, Lucky that you got to play it! Its what i was expecting with the game from what you've said! Just over a month till it's out soo woot!

originally posted by calster17

Just though i'd say, But the Maserati GT is in the game, in one of the videos you can see it in police colours! Though i'd say!:cool:

You are correct. I just could not remember! Been working to hard & not enough time to spend watching the videos lately!

Wish they would have snapped some pics of the GT.

I knew I should have brought my camera, even if it would have been a hassle.

• 2 weeks later...