We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Missing money and can't get online...

monsterZERO

Hey guys, wondering if any of you could give me a hand. I'm starting to get very frustrated because I can't play this game... I bought the game as a digital download from Amazon. First problem I'm having is disappearing money. I started an offline account and start out with 200,000 bucks. I rent a car for 1100, but when I get to my very first destination (the real estate agency), somehow I only have 111,000. Not enough to buy a house, so I cannot even START the game. I'm forced to quit. I've tried this 3 or 4 times now and it happens every time.

Second problem I'm having is trying to get online. I started a gamespy account, and created a new username and all that, but when I try to get online, I get an error message saying "A new version of Test Drive Unlimited is available for download. You must carry out this update to be able to play online". Okay, I click the link to download this 'new version', and it redirects me to a BLANK PAGE. Suuuuper frustrating! :cry:

If you guys have any suggestions as to what I can do to play this game I would love it, because all I can do right now is drive around in my rental Audi, aimless. Thanks!

I'm using the digital download version from Amazon.com

Win 7 x64

Core i5 750

HD 5850

Game version 1.66a

Appreciate your reply, but I'm actually already running version 1.66A, the game came fully patched... That's why I'm so puzzled as to what this 'new version' could be. :confused: All I know is it won't let me go online without it, and when I accept and try to download it, my game closes and my internet browser opens up to a blank page...

Very odd. :confusing: If the game redirects you to None.com, that means you are using a no-dvd patch, which, you are since you have the digital download. I think it's odd that the game came pre-patched, I've never heard of that before.

You haven't had an illegal version of TDU before you bought the digital download?

What happens if you download the patch and try to install it anyway?

I downloaded the patch (1.66a) and attempted to run it, but I get a message saying my game is already up to date. To make matters worse, I went ahead and bought the extra content pack from Atari, thinking maybe this is what my original error was referring to, and after installing it I now get a SecurRom error. Something about it being an old version... I completely uninstalled everything and started from scratch with a fresh install, and I still get the same message about there being a newer version of TDU. Frustrating... I must have spent 3 hours installing, uninstalling, downloading etc, and I'm still not able to play online.

I wouldn't mind so much if I could at least play offline, but with the missing money 'bug', I don't have enough money to even buy my first house, so I can't progress past the opening 5 minutes of the game.

I feel like I wasted 40 bucks now that could have been put towards TDU2...

Second problem I'm having is trying to get online. I started a gamespy account, and created a new username and all that, but when I try to get online, I get an error message saying "A new version of Test Drive Unlimited is available for download. You must carry out this update to be able to play online". Okay, I click the link to download this 'new version', and it redirects me to a BLANK PAGE. Suuuuper frustrating! :cry:

Same, as a result I have a 65% offline profile because of this.

I'm having this exact same problem, haven't seen anything else online on it so far. I have differing amounts of money each time but have only had the money for a house once, and then didn't have the money for a car... and the menus don't even acknowledge the fact that you might not as they don't let you exit. (I got it as a download from Amazon as well)

So, yeah, very frustrating.

Loving the reply I got from Atari support...

"Greetings and thank you for contacting Atari Customer Support. Unfortunately Customer Support will be unable to assist you with this particular bug. I would recommend insuring that the game is patched to its fullest and latest possible date, while I would also recommend getting in touch with or searching the forums for solutions to similar issues. The forums can be found here: Test Drive Unlimited - Atari Forums Sincerely, Atari Support"

^That is pathetic. I can't believe they won't help you.

Monster, I have no idea if this is going to help but it did for me when I got a no-dvd. I know yours is a legit no-dvd since you got it off Amazon but just give the below a shot. I have the actual game btw. I just though I was smart by using a no-dvd to make loading quicker.....I Wasn't :/

.Uninstall TDU from Control Panel

.Go to C:/Program Data (you may need to enable 'show hidden files and folders') In Program data you will find a folder called Test Drive Unlimited. It will remain there even if you uninstall the game but you need to delete it. Once it's gone, exit.

.Install Everything again as per usual. Patch to 1.66A

.Pray to god it works!

As I said before I have no idea if it will work but it was a life saver for me. Anyway good luck! :)

Oh that sucks :( I think you should reply to that email. Since you paid an amount purchasing a product from them, you have every right to get as much support as possible if the game doesn't work. They would be chaotic at the moment putting the final touches on TDU2 but that doesn't mean that they should cut off almost customer support for TDU2's little sibbling when it's still in action.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Monster,

just dl'd from amazon and I'm having the exact same issue. Couldn't find mention of it on the Atari forums. Let us know if you find a solution!

First time in I had enough to buy a house, but that only left about $9k. Not knowing what was going on I spent 10 minutes scrolling around the island looking for a used car lot!

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here. I bought TDU 2 from Gamersgate and got TDU 1 for $5.00.

Start with $200,000 and rent a car, but no matter which car I rent, I end up half the time without enough money to buy a house and, even if I have enough for the house, there is never enough money to buy my first car.

My TDU 1 also came pre-patched to 1.66A and it won't let me online - says there is a new patch and sends me to none.com.

It is Amazon and Gamersgate, so obviously a problem with the digital version provided to those companies by Atari.

Hopefully, someone finds a fix for this. TDU 2 is a great leap up from TDU 1, so I'm not going to waste too much time trying to get this to work - but a fix would be great.

"HI

This seems to be a problem for all digital copies of the game.

We have no solution for this

I may offer you a blue coins refund on this.

Best Regards" This was from gamersgate. They have been a great servicewith fast downloads (and real people answering support questions).Oh well, maybe pick up the physical copy one day.

Guest sourkho

C:\Users\Sourkho\AppData\Local, LocalLow, Roaming

Delete all the modes, patch, evrything from TDU than reinstall the game, patch and the modes! I do that way and it's working!

Since the other thread on this issue was closed with the massively helpful "use a proper copy of the game" advice...I am posting here. I have this exact same problem with the Amazon.com RETAIL DIGITAL DOWNLOAD version of this game. I put that in caps so everyone can see a RETAIL DIGITAL DOWNLOAD version of a game is a PROPER COPY. I came here for help. All I seem to be getting is people who don't seem to want to understand that the people having this problem ARE USING A REAL RETAIL COPY OF THE GAME. We are not using no-cd cracks or anything of that nature.

So...does anyone have any ACTUAL contribution to make to this issue for those of us who are unable to play this game? There has got to be a way to get this working correctly. Unless we're just screwed.

Since the other thread on this issue was closed with the massively helpful "use a proper copy of the game" advice...I am posting here. I have this exact same problem with the Amazon.com RETAIL DIGITAL DOWNLOAD version of this game. I put that in caps so everyone can see a RETAIL DIGITAL DOWNLOAD version of a game is a PROPER COPY. I came here for help. All I seem to be getting is people who don't seem to want to understand that the people having this problem ARE USING A REAL RETAIL COPY OF THE GAME. We are not using no-cd cracks or anything of that nature.

So...does anyone have any ACTUAL contribution to make to this issue for those of us who are unable to play this game? There has got to be a way to get this working correctly. Unless we're just screwed.

I think I've heard of a few cases when that happened and I think you need to contact the retailer or maybe Securom to make them send you a proper .exe file.

I am new here, and joined particularly to get help with this issue, because I too have downloaded the PC-Download version of TDU on Amazon after getting a discount for purchasing TDU2. So has anyone come up with a clear fix? I have also felt disrespected by Atari forum mods due to their inability to actually see if someone did something before jumping to a point and them closing a thread that was designed to help someone, as well as the response I have gotten after I PMed the mod that did it, and they responded that this needs to be handed in some place that wasn't clearly pointed out. Anyway, sorry for the rage/ranting I just want to play this game.

-Tom