We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

New Laptop!

Paladin Skylark

Keep in mind also that just because a laptop has a good graphics chip, doesn't mean all games will support it (most devs say they don't test/support mobile (laptop) graphics adapters. TDU1 was a good case in point, I recall a number of noobs creating threads asking why such and such played fine on their laptop but TDU was awful.

Buying an elCheapo laptop and putting the rest to a gaming PC is actually a pretty decent idea. If you buy an old 2nd hand laptop however, chances are the battery life isn't very good (they deteriorate after 3 years).

The laptop you linked to looks very nice, but the nVidia 550 chip (while new) won't be exactly fast, and that being the mobile version of it means even less performance (usually in favour of cooling and battery life). You could play older games on it no problem (think around the 2007 mark), but no garuntees with current games.

A gaming laptop would always cost more than a gaming desktop on similar performance levels unless you want a gigantic monitor which I don't see any point in it. The i7 2630qm for instance, is designed for laptop but performance wise the i5 2500k manages to beat it. So you can save a lot of money.

• 6 months later...

Hi Clarence

See if you want to have a gaming laptop then you need a laptop which has good graphics card, high RAM and do not have Hp laptop has they heat up very soon and also don't have laptop having AMD processor because its also heat up soon. Some good suggestions are--

Lenovo Essential G Series G560

Dell Inspiron 15 2nd Gen Ci5/ 4

Desktops all the way. Easily upgradable, and if a component fails - You replace it...

If a component fails on a laptop - the laptop is then dead.

It's the debate I have with my customers at my shop. Laptops are initially cheaper and better for starting on, but desktops are significantly more cost effective over the long term. (And significantly more reliable, too)