We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview (Beta) Discussion

Ryzza5

It seems a few of you have downloaded Windows 8 so feel free to discuss, criticise, share new features/tricks/hacks etc in here.

A lot of you don't seem to recognise the Betta (i.e. Beta) Fish from the Windows 7 Beta either: :)

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=betta+fish&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-GB:%7Breferrer:source%7D&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=8q1OT6ziCoaziQfT3e1w&ved=0CF0QsAQ&biw=1320&bih=687

I hate it.

Also when I pressed alt tab it would show me a regular screen with taskbar?! LOl or is that because I installed the beta on my usb? :mhmm:

For real though, I can't even find out how to get a firefox bar on the "start" screen. MS needs to realise they still have PC and laptop users too instead of this stupid "tablet" based design....

I quite like it. It'll just take a little bit of getting used to but once I know how to find everything I want and customize it I'll be fine.

I hate it.

Also when I pressed alt tab it would show me a regular screen with taskbar?! LOl or is that because I installed the beta on my usb? :mhmm:

For real though, I can't even find out how to get a firefox bar on the "start" screen. MS needs to realise they still have PC and laptop users too instead of this stupid "tablet" based design....

You installed it from your USB stick, not on it. 4GB isn't enough for Windows 8.

Alt+tab switches between windows like in previous Windows. You must've had the desktop open already when you did it.

I'm still downloading it but briefly used the Technical Preview that was released late last year/early Jan. I also think the Start Screen is not a good idea for Desktop PC users, although MS had some interesting stats regarding that here:

#1 Evolving the Start Menu: Evolving the Start menu - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

#2 Designing the Start Screen: Designing the Start screen - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

#3 Reflecting on user comments: Reflecting on your comments on the Start screen - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

However I'm of the belief that enough clever people also prefer the old Start Menu and will find a way to bring it back for us, if Microsoft doesn't.

For those who like reading there's also some MS blog posts following the Beta release here:

#1 What's changed since the last release: Welcome to Windows 8 – The Consumer Preview - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

#2 System recommendations: Running the Consumer Preview: system recommendations - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

I don't mind the new start screen thing. Just click the bottom left of the screen and type the thing you want.

Also, how do you turn the damn thing off without going through several menus to find the shutdown button. I have to go to the start screen, click my username, sign out, then pull the screen up, click the power button and then shutdown. So long winded and irritating.

yes

or a shutdown -s -t 3600 if you've got an hour to kill :p

or shutdown -m \\COMPUTERNAMEOFSOMEONEONYOURNETWORKRUNNINGWINDOWSXPWHOYOUDONTPARTICULARLYLIKE -s -t 00 -f to shut down someone else's PC.

(shutdown -a to cancel a scheduled shutdown)

---------- Post added at 15:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 13:30 PM ----------

Added another video to the first post for those who want to check out Win8 without installing.

[/color]

You installed it from your USB stick, not on it. 4GB isn't enough for Windows 8.

Alt+tab switches between windows like in previous Windows. You must've had the desktop open already when you did it.

My PC restarted when restarting, and I then got to the windows 8 screen, wich is normal, but then through the explorer, I think I got back in W7, and it showed everything, besides a start button, when I pressed that it would take me back to windows 8.

anyways I want to find out how to use W8 properly, or I want my windows 7 back.

when I go to that normal desktop, with taskbar, that is my w7 right?

I don't understand this at all, I suck :gmc:

EDIT: Maybe I should just completely go W8 on my desktop, I'm getting a laptop by the end of this year anyways, so my curren pc is going to some one else...

Well, the Windows 8 Beta expires mind January 2013, so it's a free Operating System for a year ;)

The Windows 8 Start Screen replaces the old Start Menu, however the OS starts with the Start Screen (funnily enough). Treat it like your phone's home screen (unless you have an iPhone which is just an app menu).

From there you can launch the proper Desktop by clicking on it's tile. (Most of) it's already running in the background, so you're just switching to it. From there you can use it like Windows 7, except the Start Menu continues to be replaced by that Start Screen (until someone finds a way to bring the Windows 7 start menu back).

My PC restarted when restarting, and I then got to the windows 8 screen, wich is normal, but then through the explorer, I think I got back in W7, and it showed everything, besides a start button, when I pressed that it would take me back to windows 8.

anyways I want to find out how to use W8 properly, or I want my windows 7 back.

when I go to that normal desktop, with taskbar, that is my w7 right?

I don't understand this at all, I suck :gmc:

EDIT: Maybe I should just completely go W8 on my desktop, I'm getting a laptop by the end of this year anyways, so my curren pc is going to some one else...

:fp:

No, that is the desktop in Windows 8. You can't run Windows 8 and 7 side by side like that without running a virtual machine(which you're not).

:fp:

No, that is the desktop in Windows 8. You can't run Windows 8 and 7 side by side like that without running a virtual machine(which you're not).

but then the ''start menu'' is just retarded, wheren't they planing on making it slide and such? (when you go right, there's more sections etc) but this is just stupid IMO.

:hide:

or shutdown -m \\COMPUTERNAMEOFSOMEONEONYOURNETWORKRUNNINGWINDOWSXPWHOYOUDONTPARTICULARLYLIKE -s -t 00 -f to shut down someone else's PC.)

Oh man. You've just opened a whole new way to attack my girlfriend! ;D

On topic: I agree with flo, W8 is retarded, that crap doesn't work with a PC, with a tablet I'm sure it's great, but not a PC. I won't be using it, that's for sure